Hamentashen - runny jelly filling

  • Anne & Steve Weiss
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
      Does anyone have a remedy to prevent jelly from running out of the hamentashen while they are baking?

      Chana Weiss
    • Elana Alexander
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
        Hi Chana,
        What I've been doing for the past few years is mixing in ground nuts (whatever you have on hand) and coconut with apricot jam to make a nice thick mixture. I also usually add cinnamon and/or grated lemon peel to the filling.
        It's so good that I have to restrain myself from eating it by the spoonful before I fill the hamantaschen.
        Of course, my kids still prefer the chocolate spread filling....

        Elana

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011

          For povidl, which isn't as runny as some jams, I simply pinch the corners tightly together, so that there is only a small opening on top [like a volcano <g>]. This usually works well, unless I overfill the pastry.

          ~~~~<<< Sarah in Jerusalem

          >>>~~~~
           A dry sense of humor is better than slobbering everywhere.

          Does anyone have a remedy to prevent jelly from running out of the hamentashen while they are baking?

          Chana Weiss

        • Arlene Pukach
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
            I miss either coconut or chopped nuts with the jelly and this helps the jelly from running.
            Arlene

            Does anyone have a remedy to prevent jelly from running out of the hamentashen while they are baking?

            Chana Weiss

          • Marcia Katz
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2011
              Hi, Chana,

              When I make hamantashen, I make very small ones and pinch the entire thing closed on all sides, very neatly.
              After they are baked, it's almost hard to tell what flavor is which (I use several each year).  Of course, some will undoubtedly open a bit, but maybe this is a way to prevent the oozing.

              Marcia from
              Ma'ale Adumim