Re: Montreal Bagels Recipe

  • cara_bereck
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
      > I'm always surprised at how puffy American bagels are, while my New Yorker husband is always surprised at how dense and chewy the bagels are in Montreal. <

      New York bagels used to be small, dense, and chewy. Things have changed, and not for the better :-(
      Cara
      --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Channah Koppel <channahk@...> wrote:

      > > Montreal bagels are usually less dense than regular bagels.
      > >

      > Beg to differ. As someone who grew up in Montreal, I'd say they are smaller
      > and *more* dense than your average American bagel. Think along the lines of
      > the old-fashioned Israeli "beigeleh tari". I'm always surprised at how puffy
      > American bagels are, while my New Yorker husband is always surprised at how
      > dense and chewy the bagels are in Montreal.
      >
      > Channah Koppel

    • ncoom
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2010
        I don't know about the dough itself, but they used to say that the size of the hole reflected the state of the economy. The worse the times, the smaller the hole got. People less willing to buy air when the shekel is short?

        shalom,
        ncoom

        ncoom@...
        We're all here because we're not all there