Re: [israel-food] foto - the bird

  • Marcia Katz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2010
      Rochelle,
      It really is a guinea fowl, which, BTW, are native to Africa.  So, as I'd earlier remarked, this is probably an escapee from somewhere nearby where they are raising them domestically. Don't jump to the conclusion that these are naturally found in Israel.
      But, with that in mind, it *may* be possible to find some here to eat.
      I can't personally vouch for their being a kosher fowl or not.  I'll let the experts deal with that question.

      Marcia
      from Ma'ale Adumim

      On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 5:18 PM, <chanasdaughter@...> wrote:

      This link is to a photo that looks just like our new neighbor!
      https://www.hoglezoo.org/images/animal_finder/GuineaFowl1.jpg

      It looks most like this picture of a helmeted guinea fowl. My daughter
      thinks it is a male - it was crowing at 6 am when she walked our dogs.
      She is my unreconstructed carnivore, but the bird is too cautious for
      her to get it.

      I will stop sending info as of now. But, does anyone know if there is
      kosher guinea fowl sold in Israel?

      Rochelle

    • Cara Levy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 31, 2010

        Not a ‘hogla’ for sure; that’s a guinea hen!

        Cara Bereck Levy

        Technical Publications

        Unitronics

        Tel: 972-3-9778888

        Fax: 972-3-9778877

        email: cara.levy@...

        http://www.unitronics.com

        A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

        Frank Zappa

        the system manager.

        www.clearswift.com