Re: [israel-food] soups

  • Ruchama Hillel
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
      how about tomato soup ? Ihave a really easy recipe .
      Ruchama

      On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Sarah Meir <sarahm@...> wrote:

      I don't think it is all that challenging.  If you use parve [soy based] "cream" such as Coffee Rich, it won't affect your cholesterol level.

      Potato, with or without leek, soup.  I make a variation of potato soup into which I also put carrots, corn, and peas.  Peas should not affect the baby [actually, you have to eat a very large quantity of legumes/cabbage, etc. for the milk to be affected.  If baby is gassy, it is most likely from other reasons]

      Borscht made with beets [and there are versions which incorporate beef, and/or with potatoes, which makes a whole meal]

      Oriental soups, such as Japanese miso soup [with tofu] or egg drop soup.

      "Cream" of celery or corn, where you puree a portion of the soup with its cooked vegetable to provide thickness instead of adding milk/cream/parve dairy substitute.

      Greek egg and lemon soup.

      Recipes for all these kinds of soups can be found at Recipezaar, along with a huge variety of other soups.

      .

      @%@%  Sarah in Jerusalem %@%@

      "He who blows at the foam on his beer isn't thirsty"

        -- Talmud

      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
        hh Yes, I forgot about "marak katom.." This one sounds great.. Thank you!

        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 28, 2010
          Thank you to everyone!

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010

            This is the quickest, easiest of them all—slice up a mess of mushrooms, a handful of scallions, and a several lettuce leaves. Cover with water (or clear chicken broth), bring to the boil, add a shot of soy sauce, sesame oil, and five-spice (if you like it). Add salt (or more soy sauce) to taste.

            Takes about 5 minutes. If you have bok choy on hand, use it instead of lettuce, but you’ll be amazed at how well lettuce does. (a tip from the Frugal Gourmet, if anyone remembers that show)

            Of course, you can add cooked chicken…dried mushrooms…but the basic soup is what you’d get in a Chinese restaurant in NYC.

            Cara Bereck Levy

            Technical Publications

            Unitronics

            Tel: 972-3-9778888

            Fax: 972-3-9778877

            email: cara.levy@...

            http://www.unitronics.com

            A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

            Frank Zappa

            the system manager.

            www.clearswift.com

          • Peggy
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010

              CARROT SOUP WITH GINGER AND LEMON

              1/4 cup (1/2 stick) or margarine or oil
              1 1/2 cups chopped onion
              1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger (or ground)
              1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
              1 1/4 pounds medium carrots, peeled, chopped (about 3 cups)
              2 tomatoes, seeded, chopped (about 1 1/3 cups)
              1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
              3 cups (or more) chicken stock or canned low-salt broth

              2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

              1 small carrot, peeled, grated - optional fir garnish

              Melt margarine in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 4 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add chopped carrots, tomatoes and lemon peel; saut 1 minute. Add 3 cups stock and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer until carrots are very tender, about 20 minutes. Cool slightly.

              Puree soup in batches in blender. Return soup to pot. Mix in lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

              Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more stock, if desired.

              Makes 4 Servings.

              Freezes well

            • Lora Lee
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
                I would love your recipe for tomato soup, if you do not mind! Thanks!

                --
                Ruchama Hillel
                (Phillipa)

              • Ruchama
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010

                  http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grandmas-Tomato-Soup/Detail.aspx   This is so easy . I use vegetable oil instead of the butter or margarine & rice instead of the noodles . Even one of my daughters who likes to do it all from scratch was impressed .
                  Ruchama

                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 1, 2010
                    By the way, is broth similar to chciken stock, or not really? Is chicken stock made just by boiling the bones? Thanks.

                    This is the quickest, easiest of them all—slice up a mess of mushrooms, a handful of scallions, and a several lettuce leaves. Cover with water (or clear chicken broth), bring to the boil, add a shot of soy sauce, sesame oil, and five-spice (if you like it). Add salt (or more soy sauce) to taste.

                    Takes about 5 minutes. If you have bok choy on hand, use it instead of lettuce, but you’ll be amazed at how well lettuce does. (a tip from the Frugal Gourmet, if anyone remembers that show)

                    Of course, you can add cooked chicken…dried mushrooms…but the basic soup is what you’d get in a Chinese restaurant in NYC.

                    Cara Bereck Levy

                    Technical Publications

                    Unitronics

                    ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------

                    Tel: 972-3-9778888

                    Fax: 972-3-9778877

                    email: cara.levy@unitronic s.com

                    http://www.unitroni cs.com

                    ------------ --------- --------- --------- --------

                    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open.

                    Frank Zappa

                    the system manager.
                    www.clearswift. com

                  • Ruchama
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 2, 2010

                      you asked me in another mail , which I must have deleted about the rice or noodles in the soup . You can probably do without , but I put in cooked . My daughter also enjoyed it wit Shkedei Marak . Also it say 4 cups of tomato juice , I just pour in the whole carton/ jar .
                      Ruchama