fenugreek

  • Reizl
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2009
      what are the uses for fenugreek.

      How do I use it in cooking?

      Can you put it into a salad.

      tia,
      Reizl
    • Caroline Tabach
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
        Fenugreek reduces sugar in the blood and helps lactating mothers.

        On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Reizl <shaulzon24@...> wrote:
        what are the uses for fenugreek.

        How do I use it in cooking?

        Can you put it into a salad.

        tia,
        Reizl

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           israel-food-digest@yahoogroups.com
           israel-food-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        Caroline Tabach
        ctabach@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2010
          Re: [israel-food] fenugreek
          Medicinally, fenugreek (Hilbe in Yemenite, Hebrew and Arabic) is a popular folk remedy, among many benefits, it is used to lower high blood pressure and cholesterol.  Fenugreek also reduces blood sugar levels, and for this purpose it is used in diabetes in conjunction with insulin.

          Fenugreek seeds are available in the shuk at any spice shop or at health food stores.  The Hebrew and Arabic name is HILBEH.  Note: the name hilbeh is used both for fenugreek, and for the Yemenite relish 'hilbeh' which features this ingredient, a source of some confusion.  Also note that the seeds are sold either whole or ground, so you need to be specific.

          Fenugreek is a chief ingredient in flavoring curries and is widely used for pickles and
          chutneys.  Fenugreek is used to flavor Amba, a popular condiment in Israel, with roots in the Indian and Iraqi communities.  Amba is popularly used as a condiment at felafel and shwarma shops, as well as anywhere meat is grilled on skewers ("shipudiot".)  Amba is made from green (unripe) mangos, vinegar and spices (ie. fenugreek, pepper, cumin, turmeric.)  It has a yellow color and a startling (to the uninitiated palette) tangy taste, somewhat reminiscent of curry. Treat amba as you would a spicy mustard.

          For salads you can sprout fenugreek seeds.  The sprouted greens have a bitter edge but some people like them.

          Ruth Baks
          Jerusalem

          On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:08 PM, Reizl <shaulzon24@...> wrote:
          what are the uses for fenugreek.
          How do I use it in cooking?
          Can you put it into a salad.
          tia,
          Reizl
        • alizah hochstead
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2010
            It is Hilbeh. I serve it almost every Shabbat

            Acts of Kindness Will bring Moshiach
            Menashe and Alizah Hochstead
            050-54-770-04

            To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
            From: ctabach@...
            Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:43:54 +0200
            Subject: Re: [israel-food] fenugreek

               http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/israel- food/join
               (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
               israel-food- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
               israel-food- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

               http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

            --
            Caroline Tabach
            ctabach@gmail. com

          • kestenbaum
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
              just wanted to add (since nobody seemed to bring this up :-)):
              hilba has a very specific odor, and can cause the people who eat it to smell also. not everyone likes the taste or smell. just be forewarned.

              shira kestenbaum

              --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, WEXFAM1@... wrote:

              > What exactly is fenugreek?
              > ilene

            • Ruth Baks
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2010
                [israel-food] Re: fenugreek
                LOL!  I thought to mention this also, but hesitated.

                I believe this caution refers to people who eat the Yeminite relish, Hilbeh, in quantity, or regularly.  I never noticed the problem using the sprouts.

                Ruth Baks
                Jerusalem