Re: Frugal meals

  • Shelly
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
      Sad to hear that vegetables are so expensive in Israel now.

      However, those who have a mirpesset can probably grow their own salad
      vegetables, to some extent. Tomatoes are very easy to grow, and small
      lettuces can be grown as well. Out here in California, you can
      actually buy organic plants at the farmers market to grow your own
      salad ingredients. (Out here, most apartments don't benefit from a
      mirpesset so growing your own veggies is a little more challenging.)
      Perhaps check a nursery in your area, or purchase some seeds online.

      Shelly
      > 8c. Re: Frugal meals
      > Posted by: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" gsm@... gsmendelson
      > Date: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:12 am ((PST))
      >
      > On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 07:55:55PM -0000, Ita wrote:
      >>Hi, I am trying to figure out how to make really cheap meals that
      >>don't make my family feel like that they are starving.
      >
      > Salads, except for cucumbers are extremely expensive these days.
    • Shelly
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 30, 2008
        Hear hear!

        I've preserved my own tomato sauce, cranberry sauce and pickled
        lemons. One thing I can say to anyone who wants to do their own
        canning is that it's *very* time-consuming. Be prepared to do a lot of
        patschke-ing around in the kitchen and to be pretty exhausted when
        you're done. However, you *can* prepare the food ahead of time and
        then reheat it the next day for canning. The trick is to make sure the
        food to be canned is acidic enough to deter bacteria, and all canning
        utensils are spotless and sanitized. A dishwasher helps, and you don't
        need a special canning pot for hot processing, just a big stock pot.

        Useful websites for canning:

        http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/questions/FAQ_canning.html
        http://www.foodsafetysite.com/consumers/resources/canning.html
        http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay53.html
        http://www.canningpantry.com/home-canning-articles.html
        http://www.freshpreserving.com/pages/home/1.php

        Are mason jars readily available in Israel? If not, you may have to
        order a bunch online, assuming the shipping costs don't negate the
        entire enterprise.

        This site appears to ship internationally:
        http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/category.asp?c=140000

        Shelly
        P.S. If you do try home canning, the regular mason jars with lids and
        rings are far easier to use than the wire-closure jars. The
        wire-closure jars I've tried don't seal properly.

        > 8c. Re: Frugal meals
        > Posted by: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" gsm@... gsmendelson
        > Date: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:12 am ((PST))
        >
        > Learn to preserve your own foods and buy them in season.
      • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 08:31:40AM -0800, Shelly wrote:

          >However, those who have a mirpesset can probably grow their own salad
          >vegetables, to some extent.

          There are two problems with that. One is that there is a total ban on
          wattering gardens with anything but rain water. I guess you can water
          plants in pots on a balcony in the dead of night, but you can no longer
          water anything in the ground. Drip or other irrigation systems are
          out no matter where they are.

          >Tomatoes are very easy to grow, and small lettuces can be grown as well.

          Both are heavy water plants, which need you to water them daily. Tomatoes in
          the heat of the summer need either twice daily wattering or constant drip
          irrigation. Salad greens only grow for a few months in the fall and spring,
          The season is from late October to early December, and the opposite for
          Spring. Once it gets too cold they don't grow, and when it gets too
          hot they "bolt", flower and seed.

          >Out here in California, you can
          >actually buy organic plants at the farmers market to grow your own
          >salad ingredients. (Out here, most apartments don't benefit from a
          >mirpesset so growing your own veggies is a little more challenging.)
          >Perhaps check a nursery in your area, or purchase some seeds online.

          Organic and regular seeds are easy to get here, Mega has a nice display
          of them. You can grow lettuce and cherry tomatos in pots even indoors.
          We grow tomatos (regular and cherry), jalepenos, and various herbs in
          pots on our balcony and in our yard. Here in Jerusalem, they all
          require partial shade.

          Geoff.

          --
          Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
        • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
            On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 09:31:03AM -0800, Shelly wrote:
            >Are mason jars readily available in Israel? If not, you may have to
            >order a bunch online, assuming the shipping costs don't negate the
            >entire enterprise.

            No, nor are canners, lids, bands, books, etc. One brand of dryer is,
            but foodsaver type devices and bags (vaccum sealing) are not.

            >This site appears to ship internationally:
            >http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/category.asp?c=140000

            Not worth it. Shipping will kill you.

            >Shelly
            >P.S. If you do try home canning, the regular mason jars with lids and
            >rings are far easier to use than the wire-closure jars. The
            >wire-closure jars I've tried don't seal properly.

            For the last 30 years or so those jars have not been sold. The ones that
            look like them are for cold storage only. They are not heat proof, the
            lids don't seal, and it is almost impossible to get replacement rubber
            gaskets. I was able to get ones that fit mine at Home Center in the
            plumbing department. They are fine for sealing jars of pickles in the
            refrigerator, but they are not heat proof either.

            I once had a friend in the US send me some lids, bands. books and assorted
            other canning related items. They totaled $25 in value and the cost of
            postage was $75.

            Geoff.

            --
            Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
          • Lora Lee
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
              Hello: Mirj, you mentioned wheat berries. Can you please tell me what they are called in Hebrew? I have been searching for them in Beersheva. Where do you buy them?
              Thanks.
              Lora from Sde Boker

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 7, 2008
                --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Lora Lee <lorita_dita@...> wrote:

                > Hello: Mirj, you mentioned wheat berries. Can you please tell me
                what they are called in Hebrew? I have been searching for them in
                Beersheva. Where do you buy them?
                > Thanks.
                > Lora from Sde Boker

                Wheat berries are called chita (gutteral ch) in Hebrew and you can get
                them in the supermarket where they sell the rice and the couscous,
                buckwheat, barley, etc.

                HTH,

                Mirj
              • Lora Lee
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 8, 2008
                  I somehow thought that "chita" was different..not the actual berry. I will check it out anyway. Thanks very much.