cholent recipe

  • Caroline Tabach
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2007
      Cholent recipe wth beans

      This is a cholent recipe with beans.
      We are about 7 people.
      I soak a large cup of barley and a large cup of beans (for an hour
      in
      boiling water or overnight) and use either Turkey meat, or a few
      cubes of
      what is known here as "goulash"

      slice an onioin or two, brown the oniones, brown the beans and barley, and brown the meat.
      Add water to cover.
      Add a potato for each person (i generally slice them, or cut them
      into cubes)
      add add black pepper, cinamon, a teaspoon of brown suger, and half
      a teaspoon of paprika.
      I was told that adding the salt at this stage makes it all hard,
      but nevertheless, I also add salt at this stage.
      Bring it to a boil and cook on a low light for an hour.,
      I add water and boil again, before putting on the shabbat platta.
      I also add dumplings/kneidlach.