vanilla

  • Fredmarn
    Message 1 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi , I have some vanilla I made 9 months ago.
      I just put it in the back of my closet so its dark and I don't take it out to shake it much.
      My question is how dark does this get ? or should get ? or can get ?
      I don't feel mine got very dark.
      When you buy vanilla ready made it is very dark.

      thanks

    • Geoffrey S. Mendelson
      Message 2 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
        On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 10:50:49AM +0200, Fredmarn wrote:
        > Hi , I have some vanilla I made 9 months ago.
        > I just put it in the back of my closet so its dark and I don't take it out to shake it much.
        > My question is how dark does this get ? or should get ? or can get ?
        > I don't feel mine got very dark.
        > When you buy vanilla ready made it is very dark.

        Real vanila or the artificial stuff? Real vanila I've always used was
        brown and clear enough to see through.

        Geoff.
        --
        Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@... N3OWJ/4X1GM
        IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
        Message 3 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
          Hi,

          I don't keep my vanilla in the dark and I don't shake it.
          Nonetheless, it comes out superb. So not to worry about those
          factors.

          Regarding the color of your vanilla, that would be dependent on the
          concentration of your infusion. The more vanilla beans you put into
          a volume of alcohol, the stronger the color and flavor will develop;
          also the length of time it is infusing will affect this. Commericial
          vanilla may only be steeped for two weeks, as they are in a rush to
          get it to market. Nine months is a long time, and should produce a
          strong vanilla, if you had an adequate ratio of vanilla to alcohol.

          What amount of vanilla did you use, what are you steeping it in (what
          is the liquid in the bottle) and what size bottle (how many ml)?

          Ruth Baks
          Jerusalem

          At 10:50 AM +0200 2/1/07, Fredmarn wrote:
          >Hi , I have some vanilla I made 9 months ago.
          >I just put it in the back of my closet so its dark and I don't take
          >it out to shake it much.
          >My question is how dark does this get ? or should get ? or can get ?
          >I don't feel mine got very dark.
          >When you buy vanilla ready made it is very dark.
          >
          >thanks
        • Toby Curwin
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
            Me too! I have some from about 6 or 7 months ago, also in the back of my
            pantry and not particularly dark. I figure this is natural, so the color may
            be lighter than the processed fake stuff, but when I open it to take a
            sniff, it just smells like vodka. The vanilla beans were sliced down
            lengthwise, and so the inside is very exposed, like you all said to do. How
            long should we wait?
            Thanks -
            Toby

            On 2/1/07, Fredmarn <fredmarn@...> wrote:

            > Hi , I have some vanilla I made 9 months ago.
            > I just put it in the back of my closet so its dark and I don't take it out
            > to shake it much.
            > My question is how dark does this get ? or should get ? or can get ?
            > I don't feel mine got very dark.
            > When you buy vanilla ready made it is very dark.
            >
            > thanks

          • tsipiamiri
            Message 5 of 29 , Feb 1, 2007
              I think that commercially produced vanilla (even 100% "pure", which
              means nothing) can have a certain amount of "things" added to it,
              including caramel color which would account for the dark color.
              When I make vanilla (no less than 3 beans per bottle of 750 ml or 1L
              vodka) it's usually brewed within three months. Meaning, I can use it
              sooner but it keeps developing the longer it sits. It never gets dark
              brown, but more of an amber hue. I have successfully made bottle
              with/without cutting the beans.
              You need to take care when purchasing the beans: they must be long and
              supple, not dried out, easily bendable and moist.
              YUM

              Tsipi