      -------- Missatge original --------
      De: "Karen Eisenberg kbeisenberg@... [israel-food]" <israel-food@yahoogroups.com>
      A: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
      Assumpte: Re: [israel-food] Filtration: Can you imagine buying a car that doesn't indicate how much gas is left?

      Have you tried the Tami 4?  I also want one largely because of the taste issues and I'm tired of schlepping bottles.  What did you uncover re the lifespan of the filters?  I spoke to the company a while ago but I'm reluctant to believe them - I THINK they recommended changing the filter twice a year.

      Karen

      On Jun 16, 2014, at 1:21, "Joan Weinberg jow@... [israel-food]" <israel-food@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      My take on "safe recommendation" is still something measurable. I highly doubt that the majority of the filter companies have tested for length of time/efficacy except for Tami4 merely based on the fact that they've been in business the longest.

      What numbers do the filter companies have? Probably the only research they've done is that most people will buy a new filter well within the amount of time that there's still some filtration left.

      I Googled this issue after reading your email, Sammy. Not much on Google that makes sense, not even wiki. (I didn't have the time to watch the youtubes.) There are some questionable instructions for testing water by oneself, so this still leaves our questions unanswered.

      Isn't it interesting to note that in this day and age, none of the filter companies have developed a visible meter that indicates exactly what strength is still left in the filter? Talk about a scam: selling something based entirely on measurement but without any means of measuring and based only on fear or guesswork.

      I'm still heading for a lab but of course, this will be based on cost.

      Joan

      P.S. "Years of measuring water use and quality/level of contaminants" is what we should expect.

      P.P.S. I bought a filter because the taste of the water in Pisgat Zeev is nauseating. I guess I'll know that the filter has stopped working when the water starts to have a taste again.

      Re: Water: Where is there a lab in Jerusalem

      Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:06 am (PDT) . Posted by:

      "sammy ominsky" avoidantsam

      Are the specific filters you need that expensive? (Serious question; I have no idea.)

      A year may be a safe recommendation for the average household. Finding out your particular exact right time to change the filter would mean testing monthly to really know. Calculating a recommendation that you could follow as a rule would take years of measuring water use and quality/level of contaminants you're filtering, and the effort of doing the tracking and math.

      But let's say someone's already done all that. The water company knows how much water the average average-sized family uses annually, and doesn't keep those numbers secret. Perhaps if the filter manufacturer cares, they've actually measured quality over time for that amount of water. Could be "a year" is what they came up with, probably with a large margin of safety built in. Maybe?

      In any case, I'm sorry but I don't actually have a lab recommendation. Just sincerely curious if the filters are really expensive, or if it's the principle of the thing?

      Shabbat shalom!
      Sam

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic