24954Re: [israel-food] Do all slow cookers have nonstick coatings?

  • geoffrey mendelson
    Nov 13, 2013
      On 11/13/2013 9:40 AM, Cara Levy wrote:

      Can anyone recommend one that does not? Maybe with a ceramic interior, or stainless steel?

      Here's the one I have, and I recommend it highly. It is big, even temperatured and can be left on overnight if you want hot food on shabbat.

      http://www.kenwoodworld.com/en-INT/All-products/Cooking-and-Baking/Slow-Cookers/slow-cooker-cp707-0wcp707002/

      However be aware it really is a slow cooker, and on low reaches about 180F in 12 hours and stays there.

      This can be deadly if you put  dried beans in it. Dried beans need to be boiled for at least an hour (or the equivalent in a pressure cooker) as they contain a nerve toxin used in chemical weapons.

      You can, of course, cook the beans first in regular pot, cook them on high and then manually reduce the heat, or use canned or frozen beans which are cooked.

      I believe it has an automatic cycle, but it cooks for as long as you set the timer, goes into warm for 2 hours and then shuts off.

      I use to to make dulche de leche, by placing cans on sweetened condensed milk on a ceramic plate in it, filling it with water, turning it on low and leaving it for 18 hours.

      I've also used to make apple butter by cooking applesauce on low for 4 days.

      I got this model specifically because it really was a slow cooker and not just a "crock pot". The Israeli brand one we use for meat (very rarely), has three settings, too hot, even hotter, and auto, which goes from even hotter down to too hot after a few hours (to burn beans).

      I don't remember the price, it was around 300 NIS with delivery, I found a place on ZAP selling them.
      My only complaint is that the crocks only come in white, so I can't buy another crock of a different color and use the same base for meat.

      Geoff.

      --
      Geoffrey S. Mendelson 4X1GM/N3OWJ
      Jerusalem Israel.