24697Re: Badatz Cheddar Cheese

  • David
    Oct 16, 2013
      As a fellow Brit, I agree with you about Israeli made local cheeses such as Tzfatit, the various goat cheeses, etc. As for Bulgarit, Feta and other eastern Mediterranean cheeses, I'll leave it for someone of Greek, Bulgarian or Turkish origin on their authenticity although, personally I find these cheeses very tasty. My cousin's French wife says that the locally produced Brie, Camembert, etc are excellent. However, I can't say the same for Tnuva's cheddar which totally lacks the sharpness and "hotness" of the real thing and tastes almost the same as the other "Gvinot Tzehubot". As for availability, the cheddar distributed by La Prefere (I think it's actally made by Chevington) is often available in Supersol Deal and Rami Levi in Talpiot and Givat Shaul in Jerusalem for around NIS20 for a 200gr packet.

      As for smoked Cheddar, I don't remember a supervised version of this being available in England although vegetarian (ie made with non-animal rennet) smoked cheddar is sold in delis and some supermarkets. It's usually made by the same manufacturers as the supervised cheese but without the Hashgacha.

      --- In israel-food@yahoogroups.com, Hilda <gmabn9@...> wrote:

      > I am surprised at what most of your writers say about Cheddar cheese and the disparaging remarks about Israeli cheeses which are among some of the best I have ever tasted (and this from one who was born and brought up in England).
      >
      > To say that Bulgarit is white and gooey is to insult Bulgarian cheese. What you call "tsuba" is "yellow cheese" which covers most Israeli hard cheeses, some of which are white and made from cow, sheep or goat milk.
      >
      > My local supermarket (Mega) has a wonderful selection of local and imported cheeses. Tnuva Cheddar cheese seems to have disappeared and in its place they are now selling an English Kosher Cheddar cheese, which is frightenly expensive - NIS.52 for 430 grams. I wish your correspondent would tell me where he/she bought 200 grams for NIS.20.
      >
      > I wonder, has anyone tasted the Israeli made (by Tnuva) blue cheese? It is absolutely delicious. Or the various goats cheeses? Please do not run down our local cheeses. I do not think that Tnuva's Cheddar cheese was nothing like the original. But then "de gustibus non est disputandum."
      >
      > Hilda Ben Nun
      > Modi'in

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic