      From: Caroline Tabach <ctabach@...>
      To: israel-food@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 2:19 AM
      Subject: Re: [israel-food] Re: Badatz Cheddar Cheese and stages of acclimatization to Israeli foods

      It is fine that you are looking to find familiar foods.

      It takes a long time to get used to the local stuff.

      We are here 30 years, and just in the past 2 years my parents suddenly began praising a certain type of local cheese. One of the differences here is that you can indeed taste foods at the counters in the supermarkets.

      I think there are stages in coming on aliya and acclimatising.

      1. First you try to find the exact foods and brands you were used to from wherever you came from, this includes bringing back a few packets of whatever food you "can't live without".

      2. Then you get to the stage where you try to work out how you can make local substitutes for foods you were used to...trying to make recipes you were familiar with and working out which local things you can substitute for whatever is not available. At some stage you don't notice that gradually you are not actually reproducing the original taste any more, and if you did eat it, you wouldn't find it tasty any more (for example, we used to buy tea from England, now my parents find it too strong for them)

      3. Finally, you eat out at Israeli neighbors, start copying their recipes and cook Israeli style foods, with whatever is available here, and even start to use recipes in Ivrit.

      There are probably some stages in between, maybe other people have ideas what.

      Everyone on this list is probably somewhere on the timeline above, and it takes years to move along.

      On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Naomi Horowitz <pleasesmile90@...> wrote:

      Just to clarify. Maybe it's because I'm new and don't know the language well enough, but I haven't seen many options. I do like a lot of different cheeses, I just happen to have a particular affinity for cheddar....which is why I asked.

      I assume once I figure out what the diff. cheeses are and how to eat them (i.e. with what, in what manner, plain, on crackers, in meals, etc.) I will come to enjoy that as well.  My question and comments weren't meant to degrade what IS available.