24685Re: [israel-food] Re: Badatz Cheddar Cheese

  • Toby Curwin
    Oct 15, 2013
      Well said, Hilda! I wholeheartedly agree, the cheeses here in Israel taste much, much better to me than anything I've had in the US. And the variety seems endless...

      On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 4:06 PM, Hilda <gmabn9@...> wrote:

      I am surprised at  what most of your writers say about Cheddar cheese and the disparaging remarks about Israeli cheeses which are among some of the best I have ever tasted (and this from one who was  born and brought up in England).

      To say that Bulgarit is white and gooey is to insult Bulgarian cheese.   What you call "tsuba" is "yellow cheese" which covers most Israeli hard cheeses, some of which are white and made from cow, sheep or goat milk.

      My local supermarket (Mega) has a wonderful selection of local and imported cheeses.   Tnuva Cheddar cheese seems to have disappeared and in its place they are now selling an English Kosher Cheddar cheese, which is frightenly expensive - NIS.52 for 430 grams.  I wish your correspondent would tell me where he/she bought 200 grams for NIS.20.

      I wonder, has anyone tasted the Israeli made (by Tnuva) blue cheese?   It is absolutely delicious.   Or the various goats cheeses?   Please do not run down our local cheeses.   I do not think that Tnuva's Cheddar cheese was nothing like the original.   But then "de gustibus non est disputandum."

      Hilda Ben Nun
      Modi'in

      --
      my funny photoblog: http://atimeofthesigns.blogspot.com/