WELL-FUNDED CHRISTIAN MISSIONARIES TORTURE DISABLED CHILDREN IN INDIA

  • islamiccommunitynet
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2005
      Assalamu aleikum.

      Please note that 2 articles follow:

      *Mother Teresa charity says ties children for safety
      *Teresa's nuns defensive about tying up children

      ---

      (1)

      Mother Teresa charity says ties children for safety
      31 Jul 2005 14:32:30 GMT
      Source: Reuters
      By Krittivas Mukherjee

      NEW DELHI, July 31 (Reuters) - A charity founded by Mother Teresa said
      on Sunday disabled children at one of its homes in India were
      restrained for their own safety, after a British television reporter
      filmed children tied to their beds.

      Britain's Five News, in a programme to be broadcast on Monday, said it
      had uncovered "serious shortcomings" at a care centre run by the
      Missionaries of Charity in Calcutta.

      It secretly filmed many of the 59 children -- aged six months to 12
      years -- living at the Daya Dan shelter tied by their ankles to their
      cots at night, restrained while being fed and left for up to 20
      minutes on the toilet by their carers.

      In a statement, Five News said it began investigating the home after
      hearing complaints from international aid workers.

      The global order of nuns said on Sunday its charitable homes only tied
      children when absolutely necessary.

      "Physical restraints are used only when absolutely necessary for the
      safety of the child ... for limited periods of time," a Missionaries
      of Charity statement faxed to Reuters said.

      "We value constructive criticism and admit that there is always room
      for improvement."

      A spokeswoman for the order, Sister Christie, told Reuters by phone
      from Calcutta: "It (the tying) happens only when we see the child
      could be hurt. It's about their safety.

      "The children are sometimes tied because they keep waving their hands
      and moving when being fed. Also they could fall off (the cots) while
      sleeping at night."

      Five News reporter Donal MacIntyre said: "I was truly shocked by what
      I found at the Daya Dan centre. There are strategies for looking after
      disabled children that minimise stressful situations, and, as a result
      of poor training and lack of resources, staff are resorting to
      inhumane practises such as tying children up."

      Five News said: "The shocking footage reveals that despite receiving
      millions of pounds in donations every year, there is little evidence
      of its investment at the centres Donal visited."

      Daya Dan was set up in 1998, a year after the death of Mother Teresa,
      who adopted Calcutta as the centre of her global charitable order that
      now runs more than 750 centres across the world.

      The Missionaries of Charity, famous for working among the sick,
      destitute and dying, said it was committed to serving the ideals of
      Mother Teresa and improving the quality of care in Daya Dan.

      Nobel Peace Prize winner Mother Teresa, who founded the order in 1950
      in Calcutta, died in 1997 at the age of 87. (Additional reporting by
      Kamil Zaheer)

      http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L31156279.htm

      ---

      (2)

      Teresa's nuns defensive about tying up children
      By Sujoy Dhar
      Indo-Asian News Service
      August 1, 2005
      http://www.eians.com/stories/2005/08/01/01ter.shtml

      Kolkata, Aug 1 (IANS) Responding to a British TV film showing
      physically challenged infants tied to beds, the Missionaries of
      Charity (MoC) says it takes the steps sparingly and only for the
      child's safety and "educational purposes".

      "Physical restraints are used only when absolutely necessary for the
      safety of the child and for educational purposes for limited periods
      of time," said Sister Nirmala, superior general of MoC, the order
      founded by Nobel Laureate Mother Teresa in 1950.

      In its programme to be telecast Monday, Britain's Five News said it
      had uncovered "serious shortcomings" at a care centre run by MoC in
      Kolkata.

      British TV reporter Donal MacIntyre secretly filmed many of the 59
      children aged between six months and 12 years at Daya Dan, a care
      centre set up a year after Mother Teresa's death in 1997, "tied by
      their ankles to their cots at night, restrained while being fed and
      left up to 20 minutes on the toilet by their care givers".

      Sister Nirmala told IANS: "Our homes continue to be simple, providing
      immediate and effective service to the poorest of poor. We continue to
      provide all that is necessary for the physical, mental, emotional and
      spiritual needs of those under care and would continue to improve the
      quality of our care."

      "We thank you for bringing to our notice what you consider lapses in
      the quality of care and hygiene in this home. We value constructive
      criticism and admit there is room for improvement," she said.

      She said only those who work day in and day out with these 59 very
      special children really know both the demands to total
      self-forgetfulness as well as the joy at the littlest response and
      improvement in these children.

      "Dedication, love and care is something money cannot buy and this is
      the reason our dearest Mother Teresa encouraged people to give not
      just out of their abundance but their hearts of love and their hands
      to serve."

      Sister Paula Marie, who runs Daya Dan, said: "We would not do any such
      thing at all for no specific reason."

      "These are cases where a child has been found putting food into the
      eyes, face and mouth with both hands, leaving caregivers with no
      alternatives to tie his or her hands with a piece of cloth for the
      time the child is fed."

      Journalist Donal MacIntyre dubbed what he filmed at Daya Dan as
      unacceptable behaviour saying: "This is unacceptable in Russia, that
      is unacceptable in Romania, that is unacceptable in England - and it
      is unacceptable in Kolkata."

      MacIntyre said: "Missionaries of Charity received millions and
      millions of pounds in donation and they must do better."

      MOC runs more than 750 care centres across the world tending the
      orphans, sick, destitute and dying.

      http://www.eians.com/stories/2005/08/01/01ter.shtml