SORTING OUT THE HAJJ MESS: ACCRA DAILY MAIL EDITORIAL

  • islamiccommunitynet
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2005
      Assalamu aleikum.

      Earlier news item:

      GHANA HAJJ BOARD ABANDONS PILGRIMS TO ABJECT POVERTY
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/islamiccommunitynet/message/7877

      ---

      Sorting out the Hajj mess
      Editorial
      Accra Daily Mail (Ghana)
      Wednesday, February 09, 2005
      http://www.accra-mail.com/mailnews.asp?id=12039

      Moslems and non-Moslems alike in Ghana agree on one thing: the
      organization of the annual Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca is porous. Our
      lead story yesterday on the subject, not surprisingly, attracted
      much public interest.

      What many people do not know however is that it is not a new
      development. For as far back as living memory would stretch,
      Ghanaian pilgrims have always complained about the hardships that
      their agents and the Hajj Board have been putting them through.

      We need not go over those here. Now the question is: What can we do
      to improve things?

      We have a few suggestions.

      These include the following.

      1. A permanent Hajj Company organised in line with Ghana's Companies
      Code.

      2. A Board of Directors to perform supervisory functions and a Chief
      Executive or Secretary General to run the company.

      3. Permanent secretariat with the appropriate secretarial,
      operational, accounting, research and administrative staff.

      4. Seed capital to be provided by the government and other relevant
      stakeholders

      5. Organization to be divided into two sectors: Northern and
      Southern. The northern sector can be based in Tamale, which has an
      airport with a long enough runway to accommodate big planes.

      6. Strict accounting and auditing conventions to be adhered to.

      In short, we must be more professional. The Ad hoc approach has not
      worked and so must be discarded. It is not an envious record for a
      country to have as being responsible for 30% of the problems
      experienced by the Saudi authorities before, during and after the
      Hajj.

      Ghana has developed that reputation.

      There is no time to waste.

      Vice President Aliu Mahama has already given the assurance that,
      there would now be a permanent body to handle Hajj affairs. Now's
      the time.

      Let's see action!

      http://www.accra-mail.com/mailnews.asp?id=12039