Journal of Islamic Knowledge: July 18, 2004

  • msapublication
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2004
      ===================================
      Journal of Islamic Knowledge: July 18, 2004
      ===================================

      The following question and answer come from the
      book entitled: Islam: Questions and Answers
      - Calling non-Muslims to Islam, Volume 20.

      Go to http://www.islammuslims.com
      for 1000's of questions and answers

      ===================================

      38161: A Christian is asking what is written on the gate of
      Paradise? (*)

      Question:

      What is written on the gates of paradise?.

      Answer:

      Praise be to Allaah.

      Firstly:

      Paradise does not have only one gate, rather it has many gates.
      Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

      "And those who kept their duty to their Lord (Al-Muttaqoon _ the
      pious) will be led to Paradise in groups till when they reach it,
      and its gates will be opened (before their arrival for their
      reception) and its keepers will say: Salaamun `Alaykum (peace be
      upon you)! You have done well, so enter here to abide therein"

      [al-Zumar 39:73]

      There is also evidence narrated in the Sunnah which points to the
      number of these gates. For example, the Prophet (peace and blessings
      of Allaah be upon him) said: "In Paradise there are eight gates,
      among which is a gate called al-Rayyaan, through which no one will
      enter except those who fast." Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3257; Muslim,
      1125. This hadeeth indicates that the number of gates is eight.

      Secondly:

      There are some reports which speak of what is written on the gate of
      Paradise. The strongest report that we have found is that which was
      narrated by al-Tabaraani and al-Bayhaqi from Abu Umaamah (may Allaah
      be pleased with him), that the Prophet (peace and blessings of
      Allaah be upon him) said: "A man entered Paradise and saw written on
      its gate `Charity receives a tenfold reward and a loan an
      eighteenfold reward.'"

      Classed as hasan by al-Albaani. See Saheeh al-Targheeb wa'l-Tarheeb,
      1/537.

      Although some scholars were inclined to accept the attribution of
      this hadeeth to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon
      him), others _ including Ibn al-Jawzi, al-`Iraaqi, al-Manaawi and
      others _ classed it as da'eef (weak), because the narrators who
      transmitted it from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be
      upon him) include a narrator who is very weak.

      There is another report which says: "Written on the gates of
      Paradise is: `Laa ilaaha ill-Allaah Muhammad Rasool-Allaah `Ali
      akhoo rasool-Illaah (There is no god but Allaah, Muhammad is the
      Messenger of Allaah, `Ali is the brother of the Messenger of
      Allaah).' This was written two thousand years before the creation of
      the heavens and the earth."

      But this is a false report which cannot be attributed to the
      Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him).

      See al-Silsilah al-Da'eefah, vol. 10, no. 4901.

      We should also note that speaking about this topic or similar topics
      that have to do with Paradise, Hell or other matters of the unseen
      cannot be accepted as correct unless it is based on revelation
      (wahy) that is proven to be from Allaah, on the lips of His
      Messenger.

      And we have to ask ourselves: what is the practical benefit of
      knowing such things? What good things will we be missing out on if
      we do not know this?

      The question which we should really be asking is: How can we get to
      those gates? How can they be opened for us? How can we enter them?

      This is the decisive question which people should concern themselves
      with.

      In truth there is only one way to reach Paradise: the straight path
      in which there is no crookedness. Allaah says (interpretation of the
      meaning):

      "And verily, this is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not
      (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path. This
      He has ordained for you that you may become AlMuttaqoon (the pious)"

      [al-An'aam 6:153]

      The first step on that straight path is believing that there is no
      god but Allaah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allaah,
      believing that Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)
      is a Prophet and Messenger from Allaah. This is the matter
      concerning which Allaah took the covenant and pledge from the
      Prophets before they were sent. Allaah says (interpretation of the
      meaning):

      "And (remember) when Allaah took the Covenant of the Prophets,
      saying: `Take whatever I gave you from the Book and Hikmah
      (understanding of the Laws of Allaah), and afterwards there will
      come to you a Messenger (Muhammad) confirming what is with you; you
      must, then, believe in him and help him.' Allaah said: `Do you agree
      (to it) and will you take up My Covenant (which I conclude with
      you)?' They said: `We agree.' He said: `Then bear witness; and I am
      with you among the witnesses (for this).'"

      [Aal `Imraan 3:81]

      Allaah called all of those who were given a book before him to
      believe in this final Prophet and His plain Book. Allaah says
      (interpretation of the meaning):

      "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Now has come to
      you Our Messenger (Muhammad) explaining to you much of that which
      you used to hide from the Scripture and pass over (i.e. leaving out
      without explaining) much. Indeed, there has come to you from Allaah
      a light (Prophet Muhammad) and a plain Book (this Qur'aan).

      16. Wherewith Allaah guides all those who seek His Good Pleasure to
      ways of peace, and He brings them out of darkness by His Will unto
      light and guides them to the Straight Way (Islamic Monotheism)"

      [al-Maa'idah 5:15-16]

      Allaah tells us that His proof is established against the People of
      the Book and others by means of this final Prophet. Allaah says
      (interpretation of the meaning):

      "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Now has come to
      you Our Messenger (Muhammad) making (things) clear unto you, after a
      break in (the series of) Messengers, lest you say: `There came unto
      us no bringer of glad tidings and no warner.' But now has come unto
      you a bringer of glad tidings and a warner. And Allaah is Able to do
      all things"

      [al-Maa'idah 5:19]

      After he has come, no one can enter Paradise unless they follow him
      and obey him.

      It was narrated that Jaabir ibn `Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased
      with him) said: Some angels came to the Prophet while he was
      sleeping. Some of them said, "He is sleeping." Others said, "His
      eyes are sleeping but his heart is awake." Then they said, "There is
      an example for this companion of yours." One of them said, "Then set
      forth an example for him." Some of them said, "He is sleeping." The
      others said, "His eyes are sleeping but his heart is awake." Then
      they said, "His example is that of a man who has built a house and
      then offered therein a banquet and sent a messenger to invite the
      people. So whoever accepted the invitation of the messenger, entered
      the house and ate of the banquet, and whoever did not accept the
      invitation of the messenger, did not enter the house, nor did he eat
      of the banquet." Then the angels said, "Explain this example to him
      so that he may understand it." Some of them said, "He is sleeping."
      The others said, "His eyes are sleeping but his heart is awake." And
      then they said, "The house stands for Paradise and the caller is
      Muhammad; and whoever obeys Muhammad, obeys Allaah; and whoever
      disobeys Muhammad, disobeys Allaah. Muhammad separated the people
      (i.e., through his message, the good are distinguished from the bad
      and the believers from the disbelievers)."

      Saheeh al-Bukhaari, 2861.

      According to a report narrated by al-Daarimi: Rabee'ah al-Jurashi
      said: Some (angels) came to the Prophet (peace and blessings of
      Allaah be upon him) and it was said to him: "Let your eyes sleep and
      let your ears hear and let your heart understand." He said: "My eyes
      slept but my ears heard and my heart understood." He said: "It was
      said to me: A master built a house, then he prepared a banquet and
      sent a caller (to invite people). Whoever responded to the caller
      entered the house and ate of the banquet and the master was pleased
      with him, and whoever did not respond to the caller did not enter
      the house or eat of the banquet, and the master was angry with him."
      Allaah is the master, Muhammad is the caller, the house is Islam and
      the banquet is Paradise."

      Sunan al-Daarimi, 11.

      If you want to study some of the foretelling of the coming of the
      Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) that is
      mentioned in the Torah and Gospel (the Bible), you can refer to the
      book Izhar al-Haqq by Shaykh Rahmatullah al-Hindi.

      May Allaah guide us and you to His Straight Path, the path of those
      on whom Allaah has bestowed His grace, not the path of those who
      have earned His anger nor of those who went astray.

      =====
      Reference: Islam: Questions and Answers

      (*) Islam Q&A (www.islam-qa.com)