Profile: Ameer Ibn Ul-Khattab

  • hamba Allah
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2002
      Profile: Ameer Ibn Ul-Khattab
      Posted on Monday, April 29 @ 12:38:00 EDT by

      Profile: Ibn-ul-Khattab
      Nickname or 'nom de guerre': Ibn-ul-Khattab, also
      known as Khattab
      Real name: Undisclosed
      Position: Ameer (Leader) of the Foreign
      Mujahideen Forces in the Caucasus
      Born: 1970
      Nationality: GCC Member State in the Arabian Gulf

      Languages spoken: Arabic, Russian, English,
      Pushto
      Birthplace: Arabian Gulf
      Experience in Jihad: 12 years
      Lands of Jihad visited: Afghanistan, Tajikistan,
      Chechnya

      "If you would have told me in Afghanistan that a
      day will come when we will be fighting the
      Russians INSIDE Russia, I would never have
      believed you." [Ibn-ul-Khattab]

      Born in the Arabian Gulf, Khattab was brought up
      in a relatively wealthy and educated family. He
      grew up to be a brave and strong teenager, who
      was known to be daring and fearless. After
      mastering the English language, he obtained a
      place in an American High School in 1987. 1987
      was the peak of the Afghan Jihad against the
      invading army of the (then) Soviet Union.
      Youngsters from all over the Muslim world were
      flocking to Afghanistan after responding to the
      calls of Jihad made by Islamic personalities such
      as Sheikh Abdullah Azzam (assassinated 1989),
      Sheikh Tamim Adnani (died 1988) and Usama bin
      Ladin. Miraculous accounts of heroic feats and
      daring displays of valour against the World
      Superpower were reaching the ears of the Muslims.
      As the time approached for him to leave for a new
      life of education in the U.S., Khattab decided to
      follow many of his friends and relatives to
      Afghanistan for a short visit. Since the day he
      waved goodbye to his parents and family, at the
      end of 1987, he has never returned home since.

      One of the Mujahideen describes the young teenage
      Khattab who arrived at his first training camp in
      Jalalabad, Afghanistan:

      "The training camp near Jalalabad was full of
      brothers coming and leaving almost every day. We
      were preparing for a large operation against the
      Russians and those brothers who had completed
      their training were packing their bags and
      leaving the camp to go to the front-line. As we
      were preparing to leave for the front-line, a
      group of new recruits arrived. It was then that I
      noticed a young teenage boy amongst the new
      recruits: 16-17 years old, with long hair and a
      beard that had not yet begun to grow fully yet.
      Immediately, he went to the commanders of the
      training camp and starting pleading with them to
      let him go to the Front-Line. The commanders
      obviously refused to send a young untrained boy
      to the Front without any training. I went over,
      greeted him and asked him his name. He replied,
      'Ibn-ul-Khattab'"

      Khattab completed his training and then went to
      the Front. One of his trainers was Hassan
      As-Sarehi, the Commander of the famous Lion's Den
      operation in Jaji, Afghanistan, 1987. [Hassan
      As-Sarehi has been imprisoned in Ar-Ruwais
      Concentration Camp, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia since
      1996 on allegations of a crime whose accusees
      have already been executed.] Over the next six
      years, this young boy was to turn into one of the
      bravest and most formidable Mujahideen commanders
      that the world has known in the 20th Century. He
      was known for his refusal to duck from oncoming
      fire and his refusal to show pain after an
      injury. From ambushes to operations to raids, he
      fought the Soviet Regular and Special Forces,
      being present in all the major operations in the
      Afghan Jihad between 1988 and 1993, including the
      conquests of Jalalabad, Khost and Kabul. He
      escaped death on a number of occasions, as it his
      time had not yet arrived.

      One of the Mujahideen describes how Khattab was
      once shot in the stomach by a 12.7mm Heavy
      Machine Gun bullet in Afghanistan. (12.7mm
      ammunition is used to pierce armour and to break
      through fortified positions: it makes mincemeat
      out of human flesh, as any military expert will
      testify.):

      "During one of the operations, we were sitting in
      the room of a small house in the Second Line. It
      was evening time and the fighting on the Front
      Line was very tough. A few moments later, Khattab
      entered the room; his face was looking pale, but
      other than that he seemed to act normal. He came
      in, walked very slowly to the other side of the
      room and sat down next to us. Khattab was
      unusually quiet, so the brothers sensed that
      something must be wrong, even though he did not
      even flinch once nor show any signs of pain. We
      asked him if he had got hurt; he replied that on
      the Front, he had received a light injury,
      nothing serious. One of the brothers then went
      over to him to see the injury. Khattab refused to
      let him see, adding that the injury was nothing
      serious. This brother forced Khattab to let him
      see and then felt his hand on Khattab's abdomen.
      He saw that his clothes were soaked with blood
      and he was bleeding heavily. We then immediately
      called a vehicle and rushed him to the nearest
      field hospital, during which he was complaining
      all the time that the injury was light and
      nothing serious."

      As the Soviet Army withdrew from Afghanistan and
      the Communists were defeated by the Mujahideen,
      Khattab and a small group of friends heard about
      the war against the same enemy, but this time in
      Tajikistan. He then packed his bags and went over
      to Tajikistan in 1993 with a small group of
      brothers. Two years they stayed there fighting
      the Russians in snowy, mountainous terrain with a
      lack of proper weapons and ammunition.

      It was in Tajikistan that Khattab lost two
      fingers of his right hand whilst attempting to
      throw a homemade grenade. The grenade exploded in
      his hand and two of his fingers were severed by
      the explosion. His fellow Mujahideen tried to
      persuade him to go to Peshawar for medical
      attention, but Khattab refused, insisting that
      putting some honey on the wound (like the Sunnah
      of the Prophet Muhammad SAWS) and bandaging it
      will do the job and that there is no need to go
      all the way to Peshawar. His fingers have
      remained in a similar bandage ever since that
      day.

      After two years in Tajikistan, Khattab returned
      with his small group to Afghanistan, early in
      1995. It was at this time that the war in
      Chechnya had just begun and everyone was confused
      as to the religious inclinations of the Chechens
      and the religious significance of this war.

      Khattab describes his feelings when he saw the
      news about Chechnya on satellite television one
      evening in Afghanistan:

      "When I saw groups of Chechens wearing headbands
      with 'La ilaha illalah...' (There is no god but
      Allah and Muhammad is His Messenger) written on
      them, and shouting takbeers (Allahu-Akbar), I
      decided that there was a Jihad going on in
      Chechnya and I must go there."

      From Afghanistan, Khattab travelled with a group
      of eight of his fellow Mujahideen, direct to
      Chechnya, arriving there in the Spring of 1995.
      The next four years were to make Khattab's
      exploits in Afghanistan and Tajikistan look like
      games in a nursery playground. According to
      official Russian statistics, more Russian
      soldiers were killed in three years of the war in
      Chechnya than were killed in the entire ten-year
      Soviet occupation of Afghanistan.

      Khattab was joined by a few more of his fellow
      Mujahideen from Afghanistan and they set about
      training the local Chechens in both military
      warfare and Islamic knowledge. They carried out a
      number of daring operations against the Russians
      inside Chechnya (Khartashoi, 1995; Shatoi, 1996;
      Yashmardy, 1996) and Russia itself (Dagestan,
      1997 and now, 1999).

      One of his most daring operations was the Ambush
      of Shatoi on 16 April 1996, in which he led a
      group of 50 Mujahideen to annhiliate a convoy of
      50 Russian vehicles leaving Chechnya. Official
      Russian military sources said that 223 Russian
      soldiers were killed (including 26 senior
      officers) and every single vehicle was destroyed.
      This operation led to the sacking of two or three
      senior Russian Generals in Moscow and Boris
      Yeltsin announced news of the operation to the
      Russian Parliament. Five of the Mujahideen were
      martyred in that operation. The entire operation
      was filmed and clips and photographs of it can be
      seen at http://www.azzam.com in the Photo Library
      section.

      A few months after that, his group carried out a
      raid on a Russian Army barracks, destroying
      Russian helicopter gunships with AT-3 Sagger
      wire-guided anti-tank missiles. Again, this
      entire operation, including the destruction of
      the helicopters was filmed.

      A group of his fighters also participated in the
      famous Grozny offensive of August 1996, led by
      Shamil Basayev.

      He also came to the scene on 22 December 1997, in
      which he led a group of 100 Chechen and Foreign
      Mujahideen 100km inside Russian territory and
      attacked the headquarters of the 136 Motorised
      Rifle Brigade of the Russian Army. 300 Russian
      vehicles were destroyed and scores of Russian
      troops were killed. Two Mujahideen were killed in
      this operation, including one of Khattab's senior
      most commanders from Afghanistan, Commander Abu
      Bakr Aqeedah.

      After the withdrawal of the Russian troops from
      Chechnya in the Autumn of 1996, Khattab was
      proclaimed a national hero in Chechnya. He was
      presented with a medal of courage and bravery by
      the Chechen Government and assigned an official
      rank of General, in a ceremony attended by Shamil
      Basayev and Salman Raduyev, the most brilliant
      commanders of the Chechen war. Before General
      Jawhar Dudayev was killed, he held Khattab in the
      utmost respect.This was a respect earned by his
      actions, not by his words.

      Khattab believes in the Jihad of media. He was
      once reported as saying: "Allah orders us to
      fight the disbelievers as they fight us. They
      fight us with media and propaganda, so we should
      also fight them with our media." For this reason,
      he is insistent on filming each and every one of
      his operations. It is said that he possesses a
      library of hundreds of video cassettes from
      Afghanistan, Tajikistan and Chechnya. He believes
      that words alone are not enough to answer false
      claims of the enemy's media: video footage must
      answer those claims. He has also taken extensive
      video footage of the destruction of the Russian
      forces in the recent Dagestan operation, August
      1999, which shows over 400 Russian dead, ten
      times more than the 'official' Russian figure of
      40 soldiers killed.

      Khattab has been likened by many Muslims as the
      'Khalid bin Waleed of our times'. He firmly
      believes that his death will only come at the
      time written and appointed by Allah, not a minute
      earlier and not a minute later. He has escaped
      death and assassination attempts on many
      occasions, the closest of which was when he was
      driving a four tonne Russian truck, which was
      bombed by the Russians. The truck was blown to
      pieces as was his passenger, but Khattab survived
      without a scratch.

      He is intelligent, brave and has a strong
      personality. He is well-liked by his soldiers,
      but known as someone you cannot play games with.
      He regularly checks upon his soldiers, solving
      any personal problems they have and giving them
      money from his own pocket to go and spend in the
      shops. He has a team of highly-trained and
      experienced commanders, each one of whom is
      capable of taking over his role were he to be
      killed.

      In an advice to the Muslims around the world, he
      once said:

      "The main thing that prevents all of us from
      coming to Jihad is our families. All of us who
      came here, came without our family's permission.
      If we had listened to our families and gone back
      home, who would carry on this work that we are
      doing? Every time I telephone my mother, even now
      she asks me to come home, even though I have not
      seen her for the last 12 years. If I was to go
      back to visit my mother, who would continue this
      work?"

      Khattab's ambition is to carry on fighting the
      Russians until they leave every piece of Muslim
      land, from the Caucasus to the Central Asian
      Republics. He once said: "We know the Russians
      and we know their tactics. We know their weak
      points; and that is why it is easier for us to
      fight them than to fight other armies."

      False media propaganda has accused Khattab of
      carrying out terrorist acts around the world.
      Anyone who has read this article with an unbiased
      mind will know that Khattab's nature is to
      confront the enemy face to face. And if fighting
      soldiers and armies who destroy your peoples'
      lives, turn your women into widows and your
      children into orphans, amounts to terrorism, then
      let history bear witness that Khattab is a
      terrorist.

      In 1979, the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan.
      Twenty years on, there is no Soviet Union, and
      what remains of it is being invaded by the
      Mujahideen forces created as a result of that
      invasion, which was perhaps the biggest mistake
      ever made by a Government in the 20th Century.

      "A small group. They are the ones who carry
      ambitions for the Muslim Ummah. And an even
      smaller group from this small group. They are the
      ones who sacrifice their personal worldly
      interests in order to act upon those ambitions.
      And an even smaller group from this elite. They
      are the ones who sacrifice their souls and their
      blood in order to bring victory to these
      ambitions and convictions. So, they are a small
      group within a small group within a small group."
      [Shaheed Dr Sheikh Abdullah Azzam, assassinated
      1989]

      Azzam Publications, August 1999

      LINKS:

      1) Azzam Publications. Photographs, video clips
      and information about Khattab's operations inside
      Chechnya. Home Page: http://www.azzam.com
      2) Zionist Freeman Center for Strategic Studies
      Article about Mujahideen in Chechnya by Yossef
      Bodansky, refuted by Azzam Publications.
      http://freeman.io.com/m_online/bodansky/chechnya.htm

      www.Taliban-News.com

      http://health.yahoo.com