Australia to cull Camels to save planet

  • hazub
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2011
      Wipe them all out! Australia considers cull of 1.2million camels 'to save the planet'

      By Richard Shears

      Last updated at 2:44 PM on 9th June 2011

      * Comments (106)
      * Add to My Stories
      * Share

      Australia is considering proposals to kill all the wild camels that roam the outback as part of its contribution to fighting global warming.

      The 1.2 million camels, considered pests by farmers and conservationists, each produce a methane equivalent of one ton of carbon dioxide a year.

      That makes them collectively one of the Australia's biggest emitters of greenhouse gases.
      Pests: Camels were first introduced to Australia in the 1900s by Afghan migrant workers

      Pests: Camels were first introduced to Australia in the 1900s by Afghan migrant workers

      But if the government goes ahead, politicians will be braced for a backlash from animal lovers, who are already a powerful voice against annual kangaroo culls.

      Tim Moore, managing director of Adelaide-based Northwest Carbon, a commercial company, proposed the extermination idea to the government.

      He said: 'They live anywhere from 30 to 50 years in the wild and because there's 1.2 million of them their numbers and the gases they produce are doubling every nine years.'

      More...

      * Two wild elephants invade Indian city and gore security guard to death in three-hour rampage
      * Stop licking me, mum! The adorable lion cub who has become zoo's mane attraction

      The camels were brought to the country by Afghan migrant workers in the 1800s to help with building roads and laying railroad tracks.

      Under Mr Moore's plan, which will see the government awarding carbon credits to individuals and organisations involved in the cull, camels will be shot from helicopters or four-wheel-drive vehicles.

      Others would be rounded up and sent to an abattoir for either human or pet consumption.

      Culls of camels that roam in the outback reaches of four states have been carried out before, but Mr Moore's plan would involve wiping out every one of the creatures.
      Feral: The plan would see camels shot from helicopter or 4x4, or rounded up and sent to abattoirs to be turned into pet food

      Feral: The plan would see camels shot from helicopter or 4x4, or rounded up and sent to abattoirs to be turned into pet food

      Mr Moore said there were particularly great job opportunities for Aborigines who joined in the project.

      'I'm confident the proposal, now before the government, will get the go-ahead,' said Mr Moore.

      'We're a nation of innovators and we find innovative solutions to our challenges. This is just a classic example.'

      Mark Dreyfus, parliamentary secretary for climate change, said the government was considering various proposals to reduce carbon pollution - including Mr Moore's suggestion - to be included in Canberra's 'Carbon Farming Initiative'.

      Without nuclear power, Australia relies on coal to generate electricity, putting it among the world's worst per capita polluters.

      Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001547/Australia-considers-cull-1-2m-outback-camels-save-planet.html#ixzz1alLNGFQU

      Perhaps this is the reason Allah ordered us to sacrifice this animal !?!?!
      Allahu aalam

      With Best Regards

      z u b a i r