The Fasting of Ramadan: A Time for Thought, Action, and Change!

  • Adam Mohomed Sait
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2014
      The Fasting of Ramadan: A Time for Thought, Action, and Change!

      `Abdullah bin `Amr bin Al-`As (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: I heard the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) saying: "Whoever supplicates Allah to exalt my mention, Allah will exalt his mention ten times."[Muslim].

      Commentary:
      Recitation of Salat upon the Prophet (PBUH) means the recitation of benediction. Such as the one recited in Salat "O Allah, have mercy on Muhammad..." It is a prayer for mercy and exaltation of the Prophet (PBUH) which is highly meritorious. (At-Tirmidhi, Hadith Hasan).

      243/1397 - Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)

      "Those whose lives the angels take while they are doing wrong to themselves (by disbelief and by associating partners in worship with Allah and by committing all kinds of crimes and evil deeds)." Then, they will make (false) submission (saying): "We used not to do any evil." (The angels will reply): "Yes! Truly, Allah is All-Knower of what you used to do.
      "So enter the gates of Hell, to abide therein, and indeed, what an evil abode will be for the arrogant."

      Those whose lives the angels take while they are in a pious state (i.e. pure from all evil, and worshipping none but Allah Alone) saying (to them): Salamun 'Alaikum (peace be on you) enter you Paradise, because of that (the good) which you used to do (in the world)."
      {Holy Qur’an Surat: 16 Al-Nahl Verses 28/29 & 32}

      Narrated Anas (Radi Allahu anhu):

      The Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) said, "When a human being is laid is his grave and his companions return and he even hears their footsteps, two angels come to him and make him sit and ask him: 'What did you use to say about this man, Muhammad (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam)?' He will say: 'I testify that he is Allah's Slave and His Messenger.' Then it will be said to him, 'Look at your place in theHell-Fire, Allah has changed for you a place in Paradise instead of it.'" The prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) added, "The dead person will see both his places. But a disbeliever or a hypocrite will say to the angels, 'I do not know, but I used to say what the people used to say!' It will be said to him, 'Neither did you know nor did you take the guidance (by following the Qur'an).' then he will be hit with an iron hammer between his two ears, and he will cry and that cry will be heard by whatsoever near to him except human beings and jinn."

      Sahih Al-Bukhari, 2/1338

      Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: On the Night of Al-Isra (the Night of Ascension) the Prophet (PBUH) was presented with two drinking vessels: one full of wine and the other one full of milk. He looked at them. Then he took the vessel which was full of milk. Thereupon Jibril (Gabriel) said: "Al-hamdu lillah (praise be to Allah) Who has guided you to that, which is in accord with Fitrah (i.e., Islamic Monotheism; pure nature of Islam). Had you selected wine, your people would have gone astray."[Muslim].

      Commentary:
      This Hadith highlights the following points:
      1. Islam is a religion which matches with the pure nature. Every sensible person accepts it instinctively.
      2. One who is endowed with the capacity and aptitude to do good should praise Allah.
      3. Wine is the root of all evils and for this reason has been regarded the "Mother of Vices".
      4. To take goodomen from agreeable signs is Mustahabb (desirable).

      242/1393 - Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)

      The institution of fasting is bothunique and a shared experience in human history. From the very beginning of time, humans have struggled to master their physical and psychological selves: their bodies and their emotions.
      Audio The Fasting of Ramadan: A Time for Thought, Action, and Change!

      The Fasting of Ramadan: A Time for Thought,

      Action, and Change!

      6/22/2014 - Religious Education Social - Article Ref: UT0709-3357
      By: Taha Ghayyur and Taha Ghaznavi
      The Medium, University of Toronto, Mississauga* -

            ShareThis

      "Fasting in Ramadan develops in a person the real spirit of social belonging, of unity and brotherhood, and of equality before God. This spirit is the natural product of the fact that when people fast they feel that they are joining the whole Muslim society (which makes up more than one fifth of world's population) in observing the same duty, in the same manner, at the same time, for the same motives, and for the same end. No sociologist or historian can say that there has been at any period of history anything comparable to this powerful institution of Islam: Fasting in the month of Ramadan. People have been crying throughout the ages for acceptable 'belonging', for unity, for brotherhood, for equality, but how echoless their voices have been, and how very little success they have met..." says Hammudah Abdalati, in Islam in Focus.

      "What is fasting?" "How does the fasting of Muslims in Ramadan differ from the fasting of other faiths?" "Why should one 'torture' one's body in the first place?" "What do you really gain from fasting in the end?"...These are a few questions that a number of non-Muslim friends and colleagues often ask us, usually out of fascination with this spiritually-uplifting practice of Islamic faith, and at times out of pity and sympathy for us, thinking, why should anyone suffer from hunger and thirst like Muslims? I wouldn't be surprised if many of us shared the same negative perception of Fasting.

      It is important to note that Fasting in Arabic is called, "Sawm", which literally means 'to be at rest'. Fasting in the month of Ramadan (the 9th month of the Islamic lunar calendar) is one of the Five Pillars upon which the "house" of Islam is built. During this month, every able-bodied Muslim, is required to fast, everyday from dawn until dusk

      12 Reasons To Fast!
      1. Fasting is an institution for the improvement of moral and spiritual character of human being. The purpose of the fast is to help develop self-restraint, self-purification, God-consciousness, compassion, the spirit of caring and sharing, the love of humanity and the love of God. Fasting is a universal custom and is advocated by all the religions of the world, with more restrictions in some than in others. The Islamic Fast, as opposed to mere starvation or self-denial, is an act of worship and obedience to God, thanksgiving, forgiveness, spiritual training, and self-examination.

      2. Ramadan gives us a break and provides us with a rare opportunity to think about our own selves, our future, and our families. It is a time to give our selves a mental break and to temporarily forget about the hundreds of worries and stresses we are constantly bombarded with. In hectic times, such as ours, and in places like the West, this valuable time to think about our lives, on individual basis, is a luxury and is desperately needed! It is a unique month of self-analysis, and of taking stock of one's moral and spiritual 'assets and liabilities'.

      3. Fasting indoctrinates us in patience, unselfishness, and gratitude. When we fast we feel the pains of deprivation and hunger, and learn how to endure it patiently. The meaning of this powerful experience in a social and humanitarian context is that we are much quicker than anybody else in sympathizingwith the oppressed and needy around the world, and responding to their needs. "It is the month to visit the poor, the sick, and the needy to share their sorrows. It is the month where the food, sustenance and the earnings of a believing Muslim increases and they are blessed," says the Final Prophet of God, Muhammad (peace be upon him), a man who was known for his noble humanitarian causes, for social justice, and for being the first to respond to other's needs, despite the fact that he himself lived a very simple and humble life. It is only during such a trying time as Ramadan that we can reflect on the condition of those in this world who may not be as fortunate as us.

      4. Fasting in Ramadan enables us to master the art of matureadaptability and Time-Management. We can easily understand this point when we realize that fasting makes people change the entire course of their daily life. When they make the change, they naturally adapt themselves to a new system and schedule, and move along to satisfy the rules. This, in the long run, develops in them a wise sense of adaptability and self-created power to overcome the unpredictable hardships of life! A person who values constructive adaptability, time-management, and courage will appreciate the effects of Fasting in this respect as well.

      5. It cultivates in us the principle of sincere Love, because when we observe Fasting, we do it out of deep love for God. And a person, who loves God, truly is a person who knows what love is and why everyone on this Earth should be loved and treated justly, for the sake of God.

      6. Fasting elevates the human spirit and increases our awareness of God. It strengthens our will-power as we learn to rise above our lower desires. The institution of fasting is both unique and a shared experience in human history. From the very beginning of time, humans have struggled to master their physical and psychological selves: their bodies and their emotions. Hunger is one the most powerful urges that we experience. Many, through over- or under-eating or consumption of unhealthy foods, abuse this urge. Thus, when a person purposefully denies something to their own self that it craves, they are elevating their mind above their body, and their reason and will above their carnal passions. "A fasting person empties his stomach of all the material things: to fill his soul with peace and blessings, to fill his heart with love and sympathy, to fill his spirit with piety and Faith, to fill his mind with wisdom andresolution," says H. Abdalati in Islam in Focus. The person who can rule their desires and make them work, as they like, has attained true moral excellence.

      7. With the clarity of mind and absence of distractions, also comes a greater focus. As students, the period of fasting, especially early during the day, serves as a tool to focus our minds on our academics. In the month of Ramadan, many Muslims try to avoid watching TV, listening to music, and some other leisure activities, which spares them more time and energy to be spent on more productive activities such as academics, intense study of Islam, voluntary prayers, social and humanitarian causes, and a quality time with the family, to name a few. It is a reminder of our duty to God,our purpose and higher values in life, as God Himself describes the purpose of fasting as follows, "O you who Believe! Fasting has been prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, so that you may develop consciousness of God" (Quran 2:183).

      8. Fasting has numerous, scientifically proven, benefits for our physical health and mental well-being. The time, length and nature of the Islamic Fast all contribute to its overall positive effect. One of the medical benefits is a much-needed rest to the digestive system. The reduced food intake during the day allows the body to concentrate on getting rid of harmful dietary toxins accumulated as natural by-products of food digestion throughout the year. The length of the Islamic Fast itself (around 12-14 hours) is in sync with the 'transit time' of food from the mouth to the colon of the large intestine, ensuring that no stimulus reaches the stomach or digestive system while it remains in homeostasis. Therefore, for the vast majority of healthy individuals fasting poses no medical risks but in fact provides many health benefits, such as: an increase in serum Magnesium, essential for cardio-vascular health and prevention of heart complications; improvement in the quality and depth of sleep; improvement in memory and slower skin aging over time; increased production of growth hormone, etc. Also, as a general note, it has been observed that underfed animals live longer than their heavily fed counterparts and suffer fewer illnesses during their lives.

      9. The month of Ramadan provides us with a sort of "Boot camp." It is a month of intense moral training. Since we know that Fasting is a special duty prescribed by God, we learn that any sins may spoil our record of fasting with God, so we go through great lengths making sure we are on our best behavior. Many people who experience fasting in this month, feel the impact that this intense training has on their habits, and realize the power of thistransformative tool designed to make us better human beings- the ultimate goal of any spiritual exercise. The entire Ramadan atmosphere provides the driving force for this positive change.

      10. It makes us realize the reality of life and death. Fasting makes us realize how dependant our lives are on things that we often take for granted, such as food and water. It makes us think about our dependence on God and God's mercy and justice. Moreover, it reminds us of the life after death, which itself has a great impact on our character and our world-view.

      11. Ramadan is a blessed month for a special reason: It is actually the month in which God first revealed His final message and guidance for mankind to our beloved Prophet Muhammad. This message has been perfectly preserved both orally and textually in the form of a Book, called the Qur'an (The Reading/Recital). Therefore, Muslims try to do an intense study of the Quran in this monthespecially, and evaluate their lives according to the standards and guidance contained in it.

      12. After the month of Ramadan is over, Muslims celebrate one of the two most important holidays in the Islamic year: EID-UL-FITR, or the Festival of the Fast Breaking. It is a day to thank God for the blessing and training that He provides us with throughout the month of Ramadan. EID-UL-FITR is marked by praying in a huge congregation at an Islamic center or mosque, and by giving a small donation to the poor in the community. The adults give the donation on behalf of their children as well. Dinner parties, family outings, fairs, carnivals, and great joyous celebrations follow the prayer and charity.

      In a nutshell, even though the real purpose of the dynamic institution of Fasting is to discipline our soul and moral behavior, and to develop sympathy for the less fortunate, it is a multi-functional and a comprehensive tool of change in various spheres of our lives, including: social and economic, intellectual and humanitarian, spiritual and physical, private and public, personal and common, inner and outer ---all in one!

      http://www.islamicity.com/articles/Articles.asp?ref=UT0709-3357

      ALLAH'S Command: Believers, Be Protectors of each other

      [ALLAH'S Quran – 8:73 - Yusuf Ali] “The Unbelievers are protectors, one of another: Unless ye do this, (protect each other), there would be tumult and oppression on earth, and great mischief.”

      The Prophet (pbuh) has said:

      [Muslim, Book #032, Hadith #6247 ] “Abu Dharr reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying that he reported it from his Lord, the Exalted and Glorious: Verily I have made oppression unlawful for Me and for My servants too, so do not commit oppression.”

      Read more at:
      http://al-tanzil.com/Prophet_Explained_Quran_2.html

      ALLAH’S COMMAND TO BELIEVERS:

      LEARN, UNDERSTAND, EMBRACE, PRACTICE AND TEACH ALLAH’S QURAN TO MANKIND

      [Quran - [9:122] – Maududi] “It was not necessary for the believers to go forth all together (to receive religious instruction), but why did not a party of them go forth that they may grow in religious understanding, and that they may warn their people when they return to them, so that they may avoid (erroneous attitudes)?”

      The Prophet (pbuh) has said:

      [Bukhari, Book #61, Hadith #545] "Narrated 'Uthman: The Prophet said, "The best among you (Muslims) are those who learn the Qur'an and teach it."

      http://al-tanzil.com/Prophet_Explained_Quran_2.html

      Seek Good Friends

      Our Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) taught us that your company contributes tremendously to the very course your life will take - he (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Man is on the religion of his friend, so let every one of you examine whom he befriends." [Jami at-Tirmidhi 2378

      Try to surround yourself with good people who will remind you of the sunnah. It’s good to be around those who verbally remind you, but it’s even better to be around those who actively practice the sunnah themselves. Humans are imitative creatures by nature, so merely being in the company of such good influences is bound to inspire you to follow their example.

      May Allah make us amongst the ones who actively practice the sunnah themselves. Aameen.

      Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allaah have mercy on him) stated that: It is absolutely forbidden to show preference to some of one’s children over others,  and that it is obligatory to treat them all equally, males and females alike, in accordance with their shares of inheritance, unless they give permission and are adults of sound mind.
      (al-Fataawa al-Jaami’ah li’l-Mar’ah al-Muslimah, 3/1115, 1116)

      If you would like to be added to this mailing group, please contact amsait@...

      Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp