Farewell to Ramadan: What's Next?

  • Adam Mohomed Sait
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16, 2013
      Farewell to Ramadan: What's Next?

      Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi Allahu anhu):

      The Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) said, "(On the Day of Resurrection) camels will come to their owner in the best state of health they ever had (in the world), and if he had not paid Zakat (in the world) then they would tread him with their feet; and similarly, sheep will come to their owner in the best state of their health they ever had in the world, and if he had not paid Zakat, then they would tread him with their hooves and would butt him with their horns."
      The Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) added, "One of their rights is that they should be milked while water is kept in front of them." The Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) added, "I do not want anyone of you to come to me on the Day of Resurrection, carrying over his neck a sheep that will be bleating. Such a person will (then) say, 'O Muhammad! (Please intercede for me,)' I will say to him, 'I can't help you, for I conveyed Allah's Message to you.' Similarly, I do not want anyone of you to come to me carrying over his neck a camel that will be grunting. Such a person (then) will say, 'O Muhammad! (Please intercede for me)', I will say to him, 'I can't help you for I conveyed Allah's Message to you.'"

      Sahih Al-Bukhari  2:485

      `Abdullah bin Mas`ud (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) cursed the one who accepts Ar-Riba (the usury) and the one who pays it.[Muslim].
      The narration in At-Tirmidhi adds: And the one who records it, and the two persons who stand witness to it.

      Commentary:

      Both the parties, that is the one who charges interest and the one who pays it, are equally guilty in the matter of usury (or Riba). This Hadith highlights the intensity of unlawfulness of Ar-Riba, or what has come to be called nowadays interest which can be judged from the fact that not only the person who charges it and the one who pays it are cursed but even those who write the documents and bear witness to the transaction are condemned although the latter two have no active part in the deal. They have been condemned for their mere co-operation in the matter of interest. Thus, we learn that even co-operation in the deal in which interest is involved is an invitation to the Curse and Wrath of Allah. The reason for such severity in the matter of interest is that Islam wants to create a society which is founded on fraternity, sympathy, selflessness and sacrifice. If someone is in need of money, the rich should fulfill his needs for the sake of Allah's Pleasure or give him a loan without interest. As against the Islamic system, this system of interest is based on selfishness, exploitation and suppression. In the interest-ridden societies, the affluent ones are not inclined to co-operate with the needy for the sake of Allah. All they are concerned with is their own interest. Their lust and greed are not reduced in the slightest measure even after draining the last drop of the blood of the poor. This is the reason why Shari`ah has forbidden interest of every kind and regarded it unlawful, no matter whether the loan is for the personal need or commercial requirements.
      Some people say that there did not exist any practice of commercial loan in Arabia at that time and people used to borrow money for their personal needs only. On the basis of this plea, they say that the interest which has been forbidden by Islam relates to the latter form. For this reason, they hold that interest lawful which is charged on loan taken for industry and commerce. They contend that since the borrowers in industrial and commercial sectors make huge profits from such loans, how does it become unlawful if they pay the lender a small fixed annual amount against it? In their opinion, it is a right of the lender which should be paid to him on his wealth. But such arguments are totally wrong for two major reasons:
      First, the assumption that there was no practice of commercial loans in Arabia is altogether baseless. Commercial loan was certainly in vogue in the Arab society and there is no point in debating this fact.
      Second, nobody can say with certainty that the amount invested by a person in business will yield profit without fail because we see it every day that sometimes huge investments made in business and industry result in colossal loss, but the lending agency does not bother about it at all and it recovers from the borrower every penny of his loan and interest. Is this not the height of tyranny and selfishness? If it is supposed that there is no loss, even then the interest on loan substantially contributes to the increase in prices of goods. Whatever interest an industrialist pays on loan is added to the cost of his goods, which ultimately increases their prices and in turn adversely affects the purchasing capacity of the customers - the masses. This is the reason why Islam has closed this largest source of exploitation, suppression and tyranny by declaring every kind of interest unlawful.
      It is very sad indeed that in emulating the western societies, Muslims have also founded their economy on the system of interest. The westernized rulers of the Muslim countries are not making any effort to emancipate their countries from this curse, nor do the people of these countries now have any passion to save themselves from it. In fact, a large majority of them borrow and lend money on interest through the bank without any regard to the Islamic injunctions in this respect.
      Given below are some points for the consideration of those Muslims who want to protect their Faith and religion and save themselves from the curse of interest.
      The word used for interest in the Qur'an is Ar-Riba which means excess. In Shari`ah, it is the measure of excess in one thing when two things are exchanged in some bargain; or in the case of a loan, an increased amount of the loan at the time of its payment. Ar-Riba is of two kinds:
      First, Riba Al-Fadl: To take more in exchange of one commodity in the event of barter of two similar commodities.
      Second, Riba An-Nasi'ah: To take a larger return of one thing while two identical things are bartered. But in this case the larger return is effected after a fixed period of time.
      In Islamic jurisprudence, assets are of two types. One type is of commodities and the other is of the mode of price for exchanging commodities called Thaman Then every type has a class of varieties. For example, food grains are a type of assets and rice, wheat, etc., are its varieties. Similarly, silver, gold, etc., are varieties of the second type of assets. Coins, currency notes, company shares, etc., can also be considered varieties of this type in contemporary life.
      This Hadith has injunctions in respect of both types of assets. Six things mentioned in the Hadith are gold, silver, wheat, barley, dates and salt. Some religious scholars have restricted the matters relating to interest to these six things only and do not regard increase or decrease in other things as usury, while going by analogy the majority of scholars and jurists have included other things also in this list. (For instance, all the food grains whether they are calculated in terms of weight or measure, or which have - like gold and silver - the quality of being Thaman, or according to some scholars and jurists which are capable of being stored).
      Thus, to sum up, these two types of assets have four varieties:

      1. Commodities which are sold by weight.
      2. Commodities which are sold by measure.
      3. Commodities which can be stored.
      4. Commodities which are used as Thaman in sale and purchase.
      In all such matters the position of interest-bearing and interest-free things would be as under:

      1. When commodities to be exchanged are of the same `type' and `variety,' any increase or decrease in them will be unlawful, as will be their sale on credit; for example, exchange of wheat with wheat and rice with rice. It is essential that these things are equal in measure and/or weight, and are in actual possession.
      2. If two things to be exchanged are of the same `type' but of a different `variety,' any increase or decrease in them is permissible. Their sale on credit is, however, not lawful. For instance, the exchange of one kilogram of silver with two grams of gold, or the barter of one kilo barley with half a kilo wheat, or the exchange of one dinar with four riyals. If such a bargain is on cash basis it will be fair, but any credit in this case is not correct.
      3. When the two things to be exchanged are not of the same `type' and are also different in `variety,' then any increase or decrease in them is permissible and their sale on credit is also allowed. For example, exchange of one kilogramme of wheat with a gram of gold, bargain of one kilogramme of dates with ten Tola (about 116 grams) silver. Any increase or decrease in them is permissible, as is their sale on credit

      287/1615 - Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)

      Farewell to Ramadan: What's

      Next?

      It is important to note that gaining the pleasure of God means remembering Him in all facets of life.

      The month of mercy, supplication and forgiveness of sins is just about over.

      For the sincere believers, this is a huge loss of intense connection with our Creator and purification of the self internally, and externally.

      Many mourn that it will be one more year before they will have this chance again to communion with their Lord and focus more intensely on the self.

      But do we have to look at the passing of Ramadan as a loss or are there better ways to say farewell to this blessed month?

      It would be very important to note that the most important aspect of the month of Ramadan is the start of the revelation of the Quran.

                  Post Ramadan Action Plan

       - Reaping the Benefits of Ramadan

       - Ramadan's Soft Landing

       - Waking up after Ramadan, Starting Anew

       - Parting Farewell Advice of Ramadan

       - Making the Ramadan Spirit Last

      {The month of Ramadan in which Quran was revealed, a guidance for mankind and clear proofs for the guidance and the criterion (between right and wrong)} (Al-Baqarah 2:185)

      To take the blessings of Ramadan with us after this month, there is only one way. That would be to continue using the Quran as a guidance, for which Ramadan was sanctified and used as the month of purification. This must be our number one goal. Yet we can only put to practice such divine guidance by applying it in our daily lives.

      Looking Forward to What's Next

      Giving the Quran its due respect by utilizing it on a daily basis is our first assignment. What next?

      If one can imagine that they just finished an intensive university course; learned many things; and they are now ready to put into action what they learned for the coming year, then the feeling of loss becomes start of the gain!

      The most important factor here and now is the state of mind of a believer. What is the priority now? Is it possible to give God priority over all things as we did in the month of Ramadan or would He be of secondary importance?

      Many may think that in order to worship properly and adequately, they would have to give up on their work time, household responsibility, childcare, studies and usual daily chores.

      In order to be effective in this process, one must prioritize and organize their daily lives, no matter how simple or complicated it might be

      It is important to note that gaining the pleasure of God means remembering Him in all facets of life. When we are conscious of Him and move forward with all our responsibilities while focusing on pleasing our Lord, then all acts with this intention will be considered acts of worship in addition to all the obligatory ones.

      If we truly recognize this fact and act upon it, then we may start taking an inventory of our present life, our actions, jobs, treatments of others, raising of our kids, choices of topics we study, people we associate with and sincerity we have in our hearts.

      Prioritize

      In order to be effective in this process, one must prioritize and organize their daily lives, no matter how simple or complicated it might be.

      Proper worship and attending to all obligatory duties must take supreme place in one's daily activities. The Creator with His grand mercy has made this part easy for us and has not put burden upon us greater than we can bear.

      {As for those who believe and do right actions—We impose on no soul any more than it can bear—they are the Companions of the Garden, remaining in it timelessly, forever.} (Al-A’raf 7:42)

      It would only take a fraction of one's daily time to devote sincerely and attentively to their religions duty and worship. The fruit of this is God-consciousness and sincerity is having the honor of being called a "Muslim, believer."

      If God consciousness precedes all other actions, then one can rest assured that all that follows can be credited as acts of worship. In this sense, one may be doing a lot more acts of worship after Ramadan without really being aware of it.

      Acts of Worship

      Let us use some examples here:

      When a mother cleans her home, cooks food for the family and changes the dirty diapers of her baby with the intention of providing a tranquil and safe environment for the family and to raise righteous children, all her actions are rewarded twice. One, for doing good for her family and second, and most importantly, doing all that she does for the sake of pleasing God and encouraging God-consciousness within the family by being a great example.

      A father goes to work to provide for the family. If his intention is to just cover the needed expenses, he gets reward for that. If, however, in addition to the above he intends to do this for the pleasure of God and to give security and comfort to his family, then he also gets the highest reward and his actions are also considered a form of worship.

      We can expand this to all actions in life and test ourselves to really test our intentions toward our duties.

      We Are Being Tested

      One important element for us to consider is realization that we are all on this earth for a very short time and are put to various tests by our Creator to see what courses of actions we will take.

      {He (Allah) created death and life that He may test you, to see which of you is the best in deeds.} (Al Mulk 67:2)

      These tests include nearly everything in our lives. Some lose hope and some remain patient in face of calamities.

      {Be sure We shall test you with something of fear, and hunger, some loss in goods, or lives, or the fruits (of your toil); but give glad tidings to those who patiently persevere.} (Al-Baqarah 2:155)

      Those who intend to pass the test and are conscious about the worthless life of this world. They focus on the next life and closeness to their Creator. They are:

      {Those Who say, when afflicted with calamity: "To Allah we belong and to Him is our return.} (2:156)

      God shows His pleasure towards them, gives them glad tidings and describes them clearly as:

      The piety has been introduced as the best provisions for the Hereafter, and greatest means for achieving salvation.

      {They are those on whom (descend) blessings from Allah and Mercy; and they are the ones that receive guidance.} (2:157)

      So we come out of our intensive Ramadan course into the world or worship, action and tests. We observe that we have much greater challenges to face after Ramadan and have to be prepared to do our best.

      Final Destination through Piety

      A believer with all the challenges of life in this world may find it easiest to achieve his destination through one noble character: piety.

      This word embodies all characteristics one has to have in order to achieve success not only in this world, but the Hereafter. This word and its synonymous have been mentioned numerous times in the Quran.

      {Lo! the noblest of you, in the sight of God-Almighty is the best in conduct.}(Al-Hujurat 49:13)

      The piety has been introduced as the best provisions for the Hereafter, and greatest means for achieving salvation. According to the word of God in the Quran:

      {For such of them as do right and word off (evil), there is great reward} (Al-Imran 3: 172)

      And also:

      {Then whosoever refrains from evil and makes peace-there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve.} (Al-A’raf 7:35)

      Lastly, the simple act of warding off evil has such an immense reward one cannot afford to ignore.

      {And compete with one with another for forgiveness from your Lord, and for a Paradise as wide as are the Heavens and the earth, prepared for those who ward off (evil).} (Al-Imran 3:133)

      We now circle around to the beginning and recognize that with our new resolve to maintain a pure, productive and satisfying life, we must include God, His messenger, his guidance and His book in all spheres of our lives.

      http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/living-islam/first-steps/fasting/463859-farewell-to-ramadan-whats-next.html

      ONE CREATOR - ONE MESSAGE

      [GOD Forgiving, Merciful]

      The QURAN
      “Let those imbued with grace not forswear—and those with plenty among you—to give to those imbued with kinship and to the needy and the ones who emigrate in the way of God. And let them pardon and let them overlook. Love you not that God should forgive you? And God is Forgiving, Compassionate.”
      [Quran – 24:22]

      The BIBLE
      “And forgive your people, who have sinned against you; forgive all the offenses they have committed against you, and cause their conquerors to show them mercy;”
      [1 Kings 8:50]

      http://al-tanzil.com/In_The_Name_of_ALLAH.html

      ONE CREATOR - ONE MESSAGE

      [To be Paid according to what you earned]

      The QURAN
      “The love of desirable things is made alluring for men- women, children, gold and silver treasures piled up high, horses with fine markings, livestock, and farmland- these may be the joys of this life, but God has the best place to return to.”
      [Quran – 3:14]

      The BIBLE
      And he told them this parable: "The ground of a certain rich man produced a good crop. “He thought to himself, 'What shall I do? I have no place to store my crops.'
      "Then he said, 'This is what I'll do. I will tear down my barns and build bigger ones, and there I will store all my grain and my goods.
      And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."'
      "But God said to him, 'You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you. Then who will get what you have prepared for yourself?'
      "This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."
      [Luke 12:16-21]

      http://al-tanzil.com/In_The_Name_of_ALLAH.html

      Not Praying the Sunnah Prayer Directly after the Obligatory Prayer

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)