Ramadan: The Way to Repentance

  • Adam Mohomed Sait
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2013
      Ramadan: The Way to Repentance

      Umar bin Al-Khattab (Radi Allahu anhu) said:

      Once we were sitting in the company of Allah's Messenger (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) when there appeared a man dressed in very white clothes and having extraordinary black hair. No sign of fatigue of journey appeared on him and he was known to none of us. He sat down facing the Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) leaning his knees against the knees of the Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) and placing both of his palms over his two thighs and said,
      "O Muhammad! Tell me about Islam."
      He (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) replied ,"Islam is to testify that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah, and that Muhammad is the Allah's Messenger; that you observe Salat, pay Zakat, observe Saum of Ramadan and perform Hajj of the House provided you have resources of making journey to it."
      He replied: "You have spoken the truth."
      We were surprised to see that he had asked him and confirmed the correctness of the answers.
      He then enquired: "Tell me about Iman."
      He (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) said, "It is to believe Allah, and His Books, and His Messengers and the Last day and that you believe in foreordainment, it’s bad and good consequences."
      He said, "You have spoken truth."
      He then enquired: "Tell me about Ihsaan."
      He (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) said, "It is to worship Allah as if you are seeing Him; and although you  do not see Him, He sees you."
      He enquired: "Inform me about the Hour (i.e. the Day of Resurrection)."
      He (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) replied, "I have no more knowledge thereof than you."
      He said," Inform me about some of its Signs."
      He (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) said, "They are - that a bondswoman gives birth to her own master, and that you will find the barefooted, naked, poor shepherds competing one another in the construction of higher buildings."
      Then he departed. Allah's Messenger (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) kept silent for a while then he said to me, "O Umar! Do you know who the questioner was?"
      I replied, "Allah and His Messenger know better."
      The Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) said, "He was Jibrael; he came to you to teach you your religion."

      Muslim
      As Taken from Riyad-us-Saliheen

      Abu Bakrah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Shall I not inform you of one of the gravest of the cardinal sins?" We said: "Yes, O Messenger of Allah!" He (PBUH) said, "To join others as partners with Allah in worship and to be undutiful to ones parents." The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) sat up from his reclining position (in order to stress the importance of what he was going to say) and added, "I warn you making a false statement and giving a false testimony. I warn you against making a false statement and giving a false testimony." The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) kept on repeating this (warning) till we wished he should stop.[Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

      Commentary:

      The contents of this Hadith make the gravity of making a false statement abundantly clear. How unfortunate indeed it is that, like other major sins, the evil of giving false testimony is very common among the present-day Muslims. May Allah prevent us from it.

      263/1550 - Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)

      Ramadan: The Way to Repentance *

      By `A'id Al-QarniDa`iyah and Scholar — Saudi Arabia

      Perhaps the greatest benefit that accrues to the Muslim in the blessed month of Ramadan is turning in repentance to Almighty Allah, self-evaluation, and evaluation of one’s personal history. In Ramadan, the door of repentance is wide open, the grace of our Lord is guaranteed and His favors are bestowed abundantly. Yet, where are those who repent and seek their Lord's forgiveness? In the Qur'an, Almighty Allah advises,

      (Say, "O my servants who have acted extravagantly against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of Allah; surely Allah forgives the faults altogether and surely He is the Forgiving, the Merciful.") (Az-Zumar 39:53)

      This month, Ramadan, is the season of repentance and forgiveness. It is the month of tolerance and clemency. Indeed, it is the most precious and cherished of all times. Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said,�

      "Allah stretches out His hand during the night so that the people may repent for the faults that were committed from dawn until dusk. He stretches out His hand during the day so that the people may repent for the faults that were committed from dusk to dawn. He would continue to accept repentance until the sun rises in the west (i.e. on the Day of Resurrection)." (Muslim)�

      Surely our sins are many, yet Allah's compassion is even more; our misdeeds are great, but His mercy is greater; the mistakes we commit are huge, yet His forgiveness is huger. Glory be to the One Who continues to give us while we always do wrong and forgive us when we repent. Out of His sublime generosity and mercy, He does not withhold His favors no matter how many errors His servants commit. Allah says in the Qur'an,

      (And those who, when they commit an indecency or do injustice to their souls, remember Allah and ask forgiveness for their faults, and who forgives the faults but Allah? And who do not knowingly persist in what they have done.) (Aal `Imran 3:135)

      True believers do not ever persist in wrongdoing. They commit sins and mistakes, yet they subsequently acknowledge their errors and seek forgiveness. Having repented sincerely, their sins are pardoned by the Most Merciful Lord. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) reportedly said, "What a loss it would be for the one who witnesses Ramadan and does not attain forgiveness!" (Al-Bazzar). Verily, it is a rare opportunity, and we should strive for achieving the benefits of it.

      Should they avoid major sins, the believers will have all the sins, shortcomings, and faults that they have committed throughout the year forgiven and rectified during this noble month. In a hadith qudsi (Divine Hadith), Almighty Allah was quoted by the Prophet as saying, "O My servants, you sin night and day and I forgive all sins, so seek My forgiveness and I will forgive you" (Muslim).

      Of course, it is natural for human beings to err. However, some of us do not repent, do not turn to Allah and seek His forgiveness. Unfortunately, there are some of us who persist in doing wrong. Those are the ones who are forsaken and denied guidance. Thus, Allah proclaims in a hadith qudsi, "O son of Adam, if you call upon Me and ask Me, I shall forgive you and I do not care (about the enormity of what you have done)" (At-Tirmidhi).

      And in the Qur'an, Almighty Allah says,

      (It is He Who accepts repentance from His servants and pardons bad deeds and knows whatever you do.) (Ash-Shura 42:25)

      Opportunity From the All-Merciful

      O fasting people, this month is our opportunity for sincere repentance. These days are our best chance which we should accept and benefit from. Take the initiative with sincere repentance before your high spirit becomes lower. Do not take lightly any sin, for you, certainly, shall be accounted for all what you have done, and your final deeds shall be of crucial importance in deciding your judgment. Many people observed fast with us last year and passed away to their Lord, to Whom belongs all authority and Who is the Swiftest of Reckoners. They all have gone along with their deeds and left behind their traces.

      Additionally, the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) is reported to have said, "By Him in Whose hand is my life, if you were not to commit sins, Allah would sweep you out of existence and He would replace you by people who would commit sins and seek forgiveness from Allah, so that He may pardon their sins." (Muslim)

      When will we truly repent and return to our Lord if we fail to do so in Ramadan? There are some Muslims who fast in Ramadan, rectify their lives and attain peace of mind, yet as soon as this blessed month is finished and the fasting is over, they return to their old ways and undermine what was repaired in Ramadan. They breach the covenants that they took during Ramadan. Their entire lives are thus spent in building and destroying and pledging and betraying. In a Qur'anic verse, Almighty Allah warns,

      (And be not like her who breaks and completely untwists the yarn that she [herself] has spun and made strong.) (An-Nahl 16:92)

      Many of our righteous predecessors used to cry for the elapse of Ramadan when it ended. They would feel sorry for and regret its departure. Given the great progress they could achieve during these precious times, purifying their hearts and illuminating their souls, they would be sad when that great season came to an end.

      O Allah, guide us to the straight path and grant us what you have granted our righteous predecessors!

      * This article was taken with modifications from the author's book Thirty Lessons for Those Who Fast.

      Sheikh `A'id Abdullah Al-Qarni is a prominent Saudi scholar and da`iyah. He has his doctorate in Hadith. He has made many audio lectures and a number of TV programs about different Islamic and Da`wah-related topics.

      ALLAH'S Rewards, The Righteous, The Faithful

      "Lo! men who surrender unto Allah, and women who surrender, and men who believe and women who believe, and men who obey and women who obey, and men who speak the truth and women who speak the truth, and men who persevere (in righteousness) and women who persevere, and men who are humble and women who are humble, and men who give alms and women who give alms, and men who fast and women who fast, and men who guard their modesty and women who guard (their modesty), and men who remember Allah much and women who remember - Allah hath prepared for them forgiveness and a vast reward." [33:35 - Pickthall]

      The Prophet (pbuh) has said:

      [Bukhari, Book #1, Hadith #1] "Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab: I heard ALLAH's Apostle saying, "The Reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the Reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for."

      [Bukhari, Book #2, Hadith #36] "Narrated Abu Huraira: ALLAH's Apostle said: "Whoever establishes prayers during the nights of Ramadan faithfully out of sincere faith and hoping to attain ALLAH's Rewards (not for showing off), all his past sins will be forgiven."

      [Bukhari, Book #2, Hadith #37] "Narrated Abu Huraira: ALLAH's Apostle said, "Whoever observes fasts during the month of Ramadan out of sincere faith, and hoping to attain ALLAH's Rewards, then all his past sins will be forgiven."

      http://al-tanzil.com/ALLAH_Rewards_2.html

      ONE CREATOR – ONE MESSAGE

      [Your GOD is One God]

      The QURAN
      “Your God is One God; there is no God except HIM - the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.”
      [Quran 2:163]

      The BIBLE
      “And Jesus answered him, THE FIRST OF ALL THE COMMANDMENTS is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength: THIS IS THE FIRST COMMANDMENT.”
      [Mark 12:29-30]

      Ihtisaab

      ‘Looking forward to Allah’s reward and forgiveness for every affliction, regardless of the pain and suffering’ is called IhtisaabAllah's Messenger said,

      “When Allah takes away from His believing servant his beloved one of the people of the earth; if he displays patience and Ihtisaab, Allah will then not accept any reward for him less than Jannah (Paradise).” [Saheeh al-Bukharee]

      Let us take the example of Aasiyah, the wife of Firawn. Aasiyah was severely tortured by her husband, who was a king,
      because she had accepted the Oneness of Allah. In spite of the severe anguish and pain, Aasiyah persisted in her faith, displayed immense patience and practiced Ihtisaab. She prayed to Allah and asked Him for a home in Paradise. Allah mentions her story in the Qur'aan,

      “And Allah has set forth an example for those who believe, the wife of Firawn, when she said, “My Lord! Build for me a home with You in Paradise and save me from Firawn and his work, and save me from the people who are wrongdoers.” [Soorah at-Tahrim(66):11]

      When she invoked Allah with this du’a, the sky opened for her and she saw her home in Paradise. She smiled. Firawn
      commanded a big rock to be brought and dropped on Aasiyah in order to crush her to death. But Allah took her soul before the rock was dropped. So, Allah granted Aasiyah two blessings for her Ihtisaab; a home in Paradise and protection from the cunning plans of Firawn. She is thus an example for all those who will come after her until the Day of Judgment. [Seeat-Tabari23:500]

      If you would like to be added to this mailing group, please contact amsait@...

      Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp