merits of ansar--bukhari sharif

  • Iqbal Shaikh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2013
    SAHIH BUKHARI
    BOOK 58: MERITS OF
    THE HELPERS IN
    MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Document Information:
    1st edition
    Edited by: Mika'il al-Almany
    Created: 2009-10-02 17:41:54
    Last modified: 2009-10-16 11:37:50
    Version: 0910161137503750-30
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Book 58: Merits of the Helpers in Madinah
    (Ansaar)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 120:
    Narrated Ghailan bin Jarir:
    I asked Anas, "Tell me about the name 'Al-Ansar.; Did you call yourselves by it or did Allah call
    you by it?" He said, "Allah called us by it." We used to visit Anas (at Basra) and he used to narrate to
    us the virtues and deeds of the Ansar, and he used to address me or a person from the tribe of Al-
    Azd and say, "Your tribe did so-and-so on such-and-such a day."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 121:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    The day of Bu'ath (i.e. Day of fighting between the two tribes of the Ansar, the Aus and Khazraj)
    was brought about by Allah for the good of His Apostle so that when Allah's Apostle reached (Medina),
    the tribes of Medina had already divided and their chiefs had been killed and wounded. So Allah
    had brought about the battle for the good of H is Apostle in order that they (i.e. the Ansar) might
    embrace Islam.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 122:
    Narrated Anas:
    On the day of the Conquest of Mecca, when the Prophet had given (from the booty) the Quraish,
    the Ansar said, "By Allah, this is indeed very strange: While our swords are still dribbling with the
    blood of Quraish, our war booty are distributed amongst them." When this news reached the Prophet
    he called the Ansar and said, "What is this news that has reached me from you?" They used not to
    tell lies, so they replied, "What has reached you is true." He said, "Doesn't it please you that the
    people take the booty to their homes and you take Allah's Apostle to your homes? If the Ansar took
    their way through a valley or a mountain pass, I would take the Ansar's valley or a mountain pass."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 123:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    2 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    The Prophet or Abul-Qasim said, "If the Ansar took their way through a valley or a mountain
    pass, I would take Ansar's valley. And but for the migration, I would have been one of the Ansar."
    Abu Huraira used to say, "The Prophet is not unjust (by saying so). May my parents be sacrificed for
    him, for the Ansar sheltered and helped him," or said a similar sentence.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 124:
    Narrated Sa'd's father:
    When the emigrants reached Medina. Allah's Apostle established the bond of fraternity between
    'Abdur-Rahman and Sad bin Ar-Rabi. Sad said to 'Abdur-Rahman, "I am the richest of all the Ansar,
    so I want to divide my property (between us), and I have two wives, so see which of the two you like
    and tell me, so that I may divorce her, and when she finishes her prescribed period (i.e. 'Idda) of divorce,
    then marry her." Abdur-Rahman said, "May Allah bless your family and property for you;
    where is your market?" So they showed him the Qainuqa' market. (He went there and) returned
    with a profit in the form of dried yogurt and butter. He continued going (to the market) till one day
    he came, bearing the traces of yellow scent. The Prophet asked, "What is this (scent)?" He replied, "I
    got married." The Prophet asked, "How much Mahr did you give her?" He replied, "I gave her a datestone
    of gold or a gold piece equal to the weight of a date-stone." (The narrator, Ibrahim, is in doubt
    as to which is correct.)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 125:
    Narrated Anas:
    When 'Abdur-Rahman bin 'Auf came to us, Allah's Apostle made a bond of fraternity between him
    and Sad bin Ar-Rabi' who was a rich man, Sad said, "The Ansar know that I am the richest of all of
    them, so I will divide my property into two parts between me and you, and I have two wives; see
    which of the two you like so that I may divorce her and you can marry her after she becomes lawful
    to you by her passing the prescribed period (i.e. 'Idda) of divorce. 'Abdur Rahman said, "May Allah
    bless you your family (i.e. wives) for you." (But 'Abdur-Rahman went to the market) and did not return
    on that day except with some gain of dried yogurt and butter. He went on trading just a few
    days till he came to Allah's Apostle bearing the traces of yellow scent over his clothes. Allah's Apostle
    asked him, "What is this scent?" He replied, "I have married a woman from the Ansar." Allah's
    Apostle asked, "How much Mahr have you given?" He said, "A date-stone weight of gold or a golden
    date-stone." The Prophet said, "Arrange a marriage banquet even with a sheep."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 126:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    3 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    The Ansar said (to the Prophet ), "Please divide the date-palm trees between us and them (i.e.
    emigrants)." The Prophet said, "No." The Ansar said, "Let them (i.e. the emigrants) do the labor for us
    in the gardens and share the date-fruits with us." The emigrants said, "We accepted this."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 127:
    Narrated Al-Bara:
    I heard the Prophet saying (or the Prophet said), "None loves the Ansar but a believer, and none
    hates them but a hypocrite. So Allah will love him who loves them, and He will hate him who hates
    them."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 128:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    The Prophet said, "The sign of Belief is to love the Ansar, and the sign of hypocrisy is to hate the
    Ansar."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 129:
    Narrated Anas:
    The Prophet saw the women and children (of the Ansar) coming forward. (The sub-narrator said,
    "I think that Anas said, 'They were returning from a wedding party.") The Prophet stood up and said
    thrice, "By Allah! You are from the most beloved people to me."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 130:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    Once an Ansari woman, accompanied by a son of hers, came to Allah's Apostle. Allah's Apostle
    spoke to her and said twice, "By Him in Whose Hand my life is, you are the most beloved people to
    me."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 131:
    Narrated Zaid bin Al-Arqam:
    4 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    The Annwar said, "O Allah's Apostle! Every prophet has his own followers and we have followed
    you. So will you invoke Allah to let our followers be considered from us (as Ansar too)?" So he invoked
    Allah accordingly.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 132:
    Narrated Abu Hamza:
    (A man from the Ansar) The Ansar said, "Every nation has followers and (O Prophet) we have followed
    you, so invoke Allah to let our followers be considered from us (as Ansar like ourselves)." So
    the Prophet said, "O Allah! Let their followers be considered as Ansar like themselves."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 133:
    Narrated Abu Usaid:
    The Prophet said, "The best of the Ansar's families (homes) are those of Banu An-Najjar and then
    (those of) Banu 'Abdul Ash-hal, then (those of) Banu Al-Harith bin Al-Khazraj and then (those of)
    Banu Sa'ida; nevertheless, there is good in all the families (houses) of the Ansar." On this, Sad (bin
    Ubada) said, "I see that the Prophet has preferred some people to us." Somebody said (to him), "No,
    but he has given you superiority to many."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 134:
    Narrated Abu Usaid:
    That he heard the Prophet saying, "The best of the Ansar, or the best of the Ansar families (homes)
    are Banu An-Najjar, Bani 'Abdul Ash-hal, Banu Al-Harith and Banu Sai'da."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 135:
    Narrated Abu Humaid:
    The Prophet said, "The best of the Ansar families (homes) are the families (homes) of Banu An-Najjar,
    and then that of Banu 'Abdul Ash-hal, and then that of Banu Al-Harith, and then that of Banu
    Saida; and there is good in all the families (homes) of the Ansar." Sad bin 'Ubada followed us and
    said, "O Abu Usaid ! Don't you see that the Prophet compared the Ansar and made us the last of
    them in superiority?
    5 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Then Sad met the Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle! In comparing the Ansar's families (homes)
    as to the degree of superiority, you have made us the last of them." Allah's Apostle replied, "Isn't it
    sufficient that you are regarded amongst the best?"
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 136:
    Narrated Usaid bin Hudair:
    A man from the Ansar said, "O Allah's Apostle! Will you appoint me as you have appointed soand-
    so?" The Prophet said, "After me you will see others given preference to you; so be patient till
    you meet me at the Tank (i.e. Lake of Kauthar). (on the Day of Resurrection)."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 137:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    The Prophet said to the Ansar, "After me you will see others given preference to you; so be patient
    till you meet me, and your promised place (of meeting) will be the Tank (i.e. Lake of Kauthar)."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 138:
    Narrated Yahya bin Said:
    That he heard Anas bin Malik when he went with him to Al-Walid, saying, "Once the Prophet
    called the Ansar in order to give them the territory of Bahrain they said, 'No, unless you give to our
    emigrant brethren a similar share.' On that he said 'If you do not agree to it, then be patient till you
    meet me, for after me others will be given preference to you."'
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 139:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    Allah's Apostle said, "There is no life except the life of the Hereafter; so, O Allah! Improve the state
    of the Ansar and the Muhajirun." And Anas added that the Prophet also said, "O Allah! Forgive the
    Ansar."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 140:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    6 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    On the day of the battle of the Trench (i.e. Ghazwat-ul-Khandaq) the Ansar used to say, "We are
    those who have given the pledge of allegiance to Muhammad for Jihad (i.e. holy fighting) as long as
    we live." The Prophet , replied to them, "O Allah! There is no life except the life of the Hereafter; so
    please honor the Ansar and the Emigrants."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 141:
    Narrated Sahl:
    Allah's Apostle came to us while we were digging the trench and carrying out the earth on our
    backs. Allah's Apostle then said, "O Allah ! There is no life except the life of the Hereafter, so please
    forgive the Emigrants and the Ansar."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 142:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    A man came to the Prophet. The Prophet sent a messenger to his wives (to bring something for
    that man to eat) but they said that they had nothing except water. Then Allah's Apostle said, "Who
    will take this (person) or entertain him as a guest?" An Ansar man said, "I." So he took him to his wife
    and said to her, "Entertain generously the guest of Allah's Apostle " She said, "We have got nothing
    except the meals of my children." He said, "Prepare your meal, light your lamp and let your children
    sleep if they ask for supper." So she prepared her meal, lighted her lamp and made her children
    sleep, and then stood up pretending to mend her lamp, but she put it off. Then both of them pretended
    to be eating, but they really went to bed hungry. In the morning the Ansari went to Allah's
    Apostle who said, "Tonight Allah laughed or wondered at your action." Then Allah revealed:
    "But give them (emigrants) preference over themselves even though they were in need of that And
    whosoever is saved from the covetousness Such are they who will be successful." (59.9)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 143:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    Abu Bakr and Al-'Abbas passed by one of the gatherings of the Ansar who were weeping then. He
    (i.e. Abu Bakr or Al-'Abbas) asked, "Why are you weeping?" They replied, "We are weeping because
    we remember the gathering of the Prophet with us." So Abu Bakr went to the Prophet and told him
    of that. The Prophet came out, tying his head with a piece of the hem of a sheet. He ascended the
    pulpit which he never ascended after that day. He glorified and praised Allah and then said, "I request
    you to take care of the Ansar as they are my near companions to whom I confided my private
    secrets. They have fulfilled their obligations and rights which were enjoined on them but there re-
    7 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    mains what is for them. So, accept the good of the good-doers amongst them and excuse the wrongdoers
    amongst them."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 144:
    Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
    Allah's Apostle (in his fatal illness) came out wrapped in a sheet covering his shoulders and his
    head was tied with an oily tape of cloth till he sat on the pulpit, and after praising and glorifying Allah,
    he said, "Then-after, O people! The people will go on increasing, but the Ansar will go on decreasing
    till they become just like salt in a meal. So whoever amongst you will be the ruler and have
    the power to harm or benefit others, should accept the good of the good-doers amongst them and
    excuse the wrong-doers amongst them."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 145:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    The Prophet said, "The Ansar are my near companions to whom I confided my private secrets,
    People will go on increasing but the Ansar will go on decreasing; so accept the good of the gooddoers
    amongst them and excuse the wrong-doers amongst them. "
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 146:
    Narrated Al-Bara:
    A silken cloth was given as a present to the Prophet . His companions started touching it and admiring
    its softness. The Prophet said, "Are you admiring its softness? The handkerchiefs of Sad bin
    Muadh (in Paradise) are better and softer than it."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 147:
    Narrated Jabir:
    I heard the Prophet saying, "The Throne (of Allah) shook at the death of Sad bin Muadh." Through
    another group of narrators, Jabir added, "I heard the Prophet : saying, 'The Throne of the Beneficent
    shook because of the death of Sad bin Muadh."
    8 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 148:
    Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:
    Some people (i.e. the Jews of Bani bin Quraiza) agreed to accept the verdict of Sad bin Muadh so
    the Prophet sent for him (i.e. Sad bin Muadh). He came riding a donkey, and when he approached
    the Mosque, the Prophet said, "Get up for the best amongst you." or said, "Get up for your chief."
    Then the Prophet said, "O Sad! These people have agreed to accept your verdict." Sad said, "I judge
    that their warriors should be killed and their children and women should be taken as captives." The
    Prophet said, "You have given a judgment similar to Allah's Judgment (or the King's judgment)."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 149:
    Narrated Anas:
    Two men left the Prophet on a very dark night. Suddenly a light came in front of them, and when
    they separated, the light also separated along with them.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 150:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Amr:
    I heard the Prophet saying, "Learn the recitation of Qur'an from four persons: Ibn Mas'ud, Salim,
    the freed slave of Abu Hudhaifa, Ubai and Muadh bin Jabal."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 151:
    Narrated the virtue of Sad bin Ubada:
    Aisha said, "Before that, he (i.e. Sad) was a pious man."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 152:
    Narrated Abu Usaid:
    Allah's Apostle said, "The best of the Ansar's houses are those of Bani An-Najjar, then those of Bani
    'Abdul Ash-hal, then those of Bani Al-Harith bin Al-Khazraj, then those of Bani Saida; but there is
    goodness in all the houses of the Ansar." Sad bin Ubada who was one of those who embraced Islam
    early, said, "I see that Allah's Apostle is giving others superiority above us." Some people said to him,
    "But he has given you superiority above many other people."
    9 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 153:
    Narrated Masruq:
    'Abdullah bin Masud was mentioned before Abdullah bin 'Amr who said, "That is a man I still
    love, as I heard the Prophet saying 'Learn the recitation of Quran from four from 'Abdullah bin
    Mas'ud --he started with him--Salim, the freed slave of Abu Hudaifa, Mu'adh bin Jabal and Ubai
    bin Ka'b."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 154:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    The Prophet said to Ubai, "Allah has ordered me to recite to you: 'Those who disbelieve (Surat-al-
    Bayina 98).' " Ubai said, "Has He mentioned my name?" The Prophet said, "Yes." On hearing this, Ubai
    started weeping.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 155:
    Narrated Qatada:
    Anas said, "The Quran was collected in the lifetime of the Prophet by four (men), all of whom
    were from the Ansar: Ubai, Muadh bin Jabal, Abu Zaid and Zaid bin Thabit." I asked Anas, "Who is
    Abu Zaid?" He said, "One of my uncles."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 156:
    Narrated Anas:
    On the day of the battle of Uhud, the people ran away, leaving the Prophet , but Abu- Talha was
    shielding the Prophet with his shield in front of him. Abu Talha was a strong, experienced archer
    who used to keep his arrow bow strong and well stretched. On that day he broke two or three arrow
    bows. If any man passed by carrying a quiver full of arrows, the Prophet would say to him, "Empty it
    in front of Abu Talha." When the Prophet stated looking at the enemy by raising his head, Abu Talha
    said, "O Allah's Prophet! Let my parents be sacrificed for your sake! Please don't raise your head and
    make it visible, lest an arrow of the enemy should hit you. Let my neck and chest be wounded instead
    of yours." (On that day) I saw 'Aisha, the daughter of Abu Bakr and Um Sulaim both lifting
    their dresses up so that I was able to see the ornaments of their legs, and they were carrying the water
    skins of their arms to pour the water into the mouths of the thirsty people and then go back and
    fill them and come to pour the water into the mouths of the people again. (On that day) Abu Talha's
    sword fell from his hand twice or thrice.
    10 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 157:
    Narrated Sad bin Abi Waqqas:
    I have never heard the Prophet saying about anybody walking on the earth that he is from the
    people of Paradise except 'Abdullah bin Salam. The following Verse was revealed concerning him:
    "And a witness from the children of Israel testifies that this Qur'an is true" (46.10)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 158:
    Narrated Qais bin Ubad:
    While I was sitting in the Mosque of Medina, there entered a man (Abdullah bin Salam) with
    signs of solemnity over his face. The people said, "He is one of the people of Paradise." He prayed two
    light Rakat and then left. I followed him and said, "When you entered the Mosque, the people said,
    'He is one of the people of Paradise.' " He said, "By Allah, one ought not say what he does not know;
    and I will tell you why. In the lifetime of the Prophet I had a dream which I narrated to him. I saw as
    if I were in a garden." He then described its extension and greenery. He added: In its center there
    was an iron pillar whose lower end was fixed in the earth and the upper end was in the sky, and at
    its upper end there was a (ring-shaped) hand-hold. I was told to climb it. I said, "I can't." "Then a
    servant came to me and lifted my clothes from behind and I climbed till I reached the top (of the pillar).
    Then I got hold of the hand-hold, and I was told to hold it tightly, then I woke up and (the effect
    of) the hand-hold was in my hand. I narrated al I that to the Prophet who said, 'The garden is
    Islam, and the hand-hold is the Most Truth-worthy Hand-Hold. So you will remain as a Muslim till
    you die." The narrator added: "The man was 'Abdullah bin Salam."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 159:
    Narrated Abu Burda:
    When I came to Medina. I met Abdullah bin Salam. He said, "Will you come to me so that I may
    serve you with Sawiq (i.e. powdered barley) and dates, and let you enter a (blessed) house that in
    which the Prophet entered?" Then he added, "You are In a country where the practice of Riba (i.e.
    usury) is prevalent; so if somebody owe you something and he sends you a present of a load of
    chopped straw or a load of barley or a load of provender then do not take it, as it is Riba."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 160:
    Narrated Jarir bin 'Abdullah:
    11 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Allah's Apostle has never refused to admit me since I embraced Islam, and whenever he saw me,
    he would smile. (In another narration) Jarir bin 'Abdullah narrated: There was a house called Dhul-
    Khalasa in the Pre-lslamic Period and it was also called Al-Ka'ba Al-Yamaniya or Al-Ka'ba Ash-
    Shamiya. Allah's Apostle said to me, "Will you relieve me from Dhul-Khalasa?" So I left for it with
    150 cavalrymen from the tribe of Ahmas and then we destroyed it and killed whoever we found
    there. Then we came to the Prophet and informed him about it. He invoked good upon us and upon
    the tribe of Ahmas.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 161:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    On the day of the battle of Uhud the pagans were defeated completely. Then Satan shouted loudly,
    "O Allah's slaves! Beware the ones behind you!" So the front files attacked the back ones. Then Hudhaifa
    looked and saw his father, and said loudly, "O Allah's slaves! My father! My father!" By Allah,
    they did not stop till they killed him (i.e. Hudaifa's father). Hudhaifa said, "May Allah forgive you!"
    The sub-narrator said, "By Allah, because of what Hudhaifa said, he remained in a good state till he
    met Allah (i.e. died)."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 162:
    Narrated 'Ali:
    I heard Allah's Apostle saying (as below).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 163:
    Narrated 'Ali:
    The Prophet said, "The best of the world's women is Mary (at her lifetime), and the best of the
    world's women is Khadija (at her lifetime)."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 164:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    I did not feel jealous of any of the wives of the Prophet as much as I did of Khadija (although) she
    died before he married me, for I often heard him mentioning her, and Allah had told him to give her
    the good tidings that she would have a palace of Qasab (i.e. pipes of precious stones and pearls in
    Paradise), and whenever he slaughtered a sheep, he would send her women-friends a good share of
    it.
    12 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 165:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    I did not feel jealous of any woman as much as I did of Khadija because Allah's Apostle used to
    mention her very often. He married me after three years of her death, and his Lord (or Gabriel)
    ordered him to give her the good news of having a palace of Qasab in Paradise.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 166:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    I did not feel jealous of any of the wives of the Prophet as much as I did of Khadija though I did
    not see her, but the Prophet used to mention her very often, and when ever he slaughtered a sheep,
    he would cut its parts and send them to the women friends of Khadija. When I sometimes said to
    him, "(You treat Khadija in such a way) as if there is no woman on earth except Khadija," he would
    say, "Khadija was such-and-such, and from her I had children."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 167:
    Narrated Ismail:
    I asked 'Abdullah bin Abi Aufa, "Did the Prophet give glad tidings to Khadija?" He said, "Yes, of a
    palace of Qasab (in Paradise) where there will be neither any noise nor any fatigue."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 168:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    Gabriel came to the Prophet and said, "O Allah's Apostle! This is Khadija coming to you with a
    dish having meat soup (or some food or drink). When she reaches you, greet her on behalf of her
    Lord (i.e. Allah) and on my behalf, and give her the glad tidings of having a Qasab palace in Paradise
    wherein there will be neither any noise nor any fatigue (trouble) . "
    Narrated 'Aisha: Once Hala bint Khuwailid, Khadija's sister, asked the permission of the Prophet to
    enter. On that, the Prophet remembered the way Khadija used to ask permission, and that upset him.
    He said, "O Allah! Hala!" So I became jealous and said, "What makes you remember an old woman
    amongst the old women of Quraish an old woman (with a teethless mouth) of red gums who died
    long ago, and in whose place Allah has given you somebody better than her?"
    13 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 169:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
    The Prophet met Zaid bin 'Amr bin Nufail in the bottom of (the valley of) Baldah before any Divine
    Inspiration came to the Prophet. A meal was presented to the Prophet but he refused to eat from
    it. (Then it was presented to Zaid) who said, "I do not eat anything which you slaughter in the name
    of your stone idols. I eat none but those things on which Allah's Name has been mentioned at the
    time of slaughtering." Zaid bin 'Amr used to criticize the way Quraish used to slaughter their animals,
    and used to say, "Allah has created the sheep and He has sent the water for it from the sky, and
    He has grown the grass for it from the earth; yet you slaughter it in other than the Name of Allah.
    He used to say so, for he rejected that practice and considered it as something abominable.
    Narrated Ibn 'Umar: Zaid bin 'Amr bin Nufail went to Sham, inquiring about a true religion to
    follow. He met a Jewish religious scholar and asked him about their religion. He said, "I intend to
    embrace your religion, so tell me some thing about it." The Jew said, "You will not embrace our religion
    unless you receive your share of Allah's Anger." Zaid said, "'I do not run except from Allah's Anger,
    and I will never bear a bit of it if I have the power to avoid it. Can you tell me of some other religion?"
    He said, "I do not know any other religion except the Hanif." Zaid enquired, "What is Hanif?"
    He said, "Hanif is the religion of (the prophet) Abraham who was neither a Jew nor a Christian, and
    he used to worship None but Allah (Alone)" Then Zaid went out and met a Christian religious scholar
    and told him the same as before. The Christian said, "You will not embrace our religion unless
    you get a share of Allah's Curse." Zaid replied, "I do not run except from Allah's Curse, and I will
    never bear any of Allah's Curse and His Anger if I have the power to avoid them. Will you tell me of
    some other religion?" He replied, "I do not know any other religion except Hanif." Zaid enquired,
    "What is Hanif?" He replied, Hanif is the religion of (the prophet) Abraham who was neither a Jew
    nor a Christian and he used to worship None but Allah (Alone)" When Zaid heard their Statement
    about (the religion of) Abraham, he left that place, and when he came out, he raised both his hands
    and said, "O Allah! I make You my Witness that I am on the religion of Abraham."
    Narrated Asma bint Abi Bakr: I saw Zaid bin Amr bin Nufail standing with his back against the
    Ka'ba and saying, "O people of Quraish! By Allah, none amongst you is on the religion of Abraham
    except me." He used to preserve the lives of little girls: If somebody wanted to kill his daughter he
    would say to him, "Do not kill her for I will feed her on your behalf." So he would take her, and
    when she grew up nicely, he would say to her father, "Now if you want her, I will give her to you,
    and if you wish, I will feed her on your behalf."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 170:
    Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:
    14 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    When the Ka'ba was rebuilt, the Prophet and 'Abbas went to carry stones. 'Abbas said to the
    Prophet "(Take off and) put your waist sheet over your neck so that the stones may not hurt you."
    (But as soon as he took off his waist sheet) he fell unconscious on the ground with both his eyes towards
    the sky. When he came to his senses, he said, "My waist sheet! My waist sheet!" Then he tied
    his waist sheet (round his waist).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 171:
    Narrated 'Amr bin Dinar and 'Ubaidullah bin Abi Yazid:
    In the lifetime of the Prophet there was no wall around the Ka'ba and the people used to pray
    around the Ka'ba till 'Umar became the Caliph and he built the wall around it. 'Ubaidullah further
    said, "Its wall was low, so Ibn Az-Zubair built it."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 172:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    'Ashura' (i.e. the tenth of Muharram) was a day on which the tribe of Quraish used to fast in the
    pre-lslamic period of ignorance. The Prophet also used to fast on this day. So when he migrated to
    Medina, he fasted on it and ordered (the Muslims) to fast on it. When the fasting of Ramadan was
    enjoined, it became optional for the people to fast or not to fast on the day of Ashura.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 173:
    Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
    The people used to consider the performance of 'Umra in the months of Hajj an evil deed on the
    earth, and they used to call the month of Muharram as Safar and used to say, "When (the wounds
    over) the backs (of the camels) have healed and the foot-marks (of the camels) have vanished (after
    coming from Hajj), then 'Umra becomes legal for the one who wants to perform 'Umra." Allah's
    Apostle and his companions reached Mecca assuming Ihram for Hajj on the fourth of Dhul-Hijja.
    The Prophet ordered his companions to perform 'Umra (with that lhram instead of Hajj). They
    asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What kind of finishing of Ihram?" The Prophet said, "Finish the Ihram
    completely.'
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 174:
    Narrated Sa'id bin Al-Musaiyab's grand-father:
    15 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    In the pre-lslamic period of ignorance a flood of rain came and filled the valley in between the
    two mountains (around the Ka'ba)......
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 175:
    Narrated Qais bin Abi Hazim:
    Abu Bakr went to a lady from the Ahmas tribe called Zainab bint Al-Muhajir and found that she
    refused to speak. He asked, "Why does she not speak." The people said, "She has intended to perform
    Hajj without speaking." He said to her, "Speak, for it is illegal not to speak, as it is an action of the
    pre-islamic period of ignorance. So she spoke and said, "Who are you?" He said, "A man from the
    Emigrants." She asked, "Which Emigrants?" He replied, "From Quraish." She asked, "From what
    branch of Quraish are you?" He said, "You ask too many questions; I am Abu Bakr." She said, "How
    long shall we enjoy this good order (i.e. Islamic religion) which Allah has brought after the period of
    ignorance?" He said, "You will enjoy it as long as your Imams keep on abiding by its rules and regulations."
    She asked, "What are the Imams?" He said, "Were there not heads and chiefs of your nation
    who used to order the people and they used to obey them?" She said, "Yes." He said, "So they (i.e. the
    Imams) are those whom I meant."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 176:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    A black lady slave of some of the 'Arabs embraced Islam and she had a hut in the mosque. She
    used to visit us and talk to us, and when she finished her talk, she used to say: "The day of the scarf
    was one of our Lord's wonders: Verily! He has delivered me from the land of Kufr." When she said
    the above verse many times, I (i.e. 'Aisha) asked her, "What was the day of the scarf?" She replied,
    "Once the daughter of some of my masters went out and she was wearing a leather scarf (round her
    neck) and the leather scarf fell from her and a kite descended and picked it up, mistaking it for a
    piece of meat. They (i.e. my masters) accused me of stealing it and they tortured me to such an extent
    that they even looked for it in my private parts. So, while they all were around me, and I was in
    my great distress, suddenly the kite came over our heads and threw the scarf, and they took it. I said
    to them 'This is what you accused me of stealing, though I was innocent."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 177:
    Narrated 'Umar:
    The Prophet said, "If anybody has to take an oath, he should swear only by Allah." The people of
    Quraish used to swear by their fathers, but the Prophet said, "Do not swear by your fathers. "
    16 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 178:
    Narrated 'Abdur-Rahman bin Al-Qasim:
    Al-Qasim used to walk in front of the funeral procession. He used not to get up for the funeral
    procession (in case it passed by him). And he narrated from 'Aisha that she said, "The people of the
    pre-lslamic period of ignorance used to stand up for the funeral procession. When they saw it they
    used to say twice: 'You were noble in your family. What are you now?"
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 179:
    Narrated 'Umar:
    The pagans used not to leave Jam' (i.e. Muzdalifa) till the sun had risen on Thabir mountain. The
    Prophet contradicted them by leaving (Muzdalifa) before the sun rose.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 180:
    Narrated Husain:
    That Ikrima said, "Kasan Dihaqa means glass full (of something) followed successively with other
    full glasses." Ibn 'Abbas said, "In the pre-lslamic period of ignorance I heard my father saying,
    "Provide us with Kasan Dihaqa."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 181:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    The Prophet said, "The most true words said by a poet was the words of Labid." He said, Verily,
    Everything except Allah is perishable and Umaiya bin As-Salt was about to be a Muslim (but he did
    not embrace Islam).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 182:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    Abu Bakr had a slave who used to give him some of his earnings. Abu Bakr used to eat from it.
    One day he brought something and Abu Bakr ate from it. The slave said to him, "Do you know what
    this is?" Abu Bakr then enquired, "What is it?" The slave said, "Once, in the pre-Islamic period of ignorance
    I foretold somebody's future though I did not know this knowledge of foretelling but I,
    cheated him, and when he met me, he gave me something for that service, and that is what you have
    17 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    eaten from." Then Abu Bakr put his hand in his mouth and vomited whatever was present in his
    stomach.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 183:
    Narrated Ibn 'Umar:
    In the pre-lslamic period of ignorance the people used to bargain with the meat of camels on the
    principle of Habal-al-Habala which meant the sale of a she-camel that would be born by a shecamel
    that had not yet been born. The Prophet forbade them such a transaction.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 184:
    Narrated Ghailan bin Jarir:
    We used to visit Anas bin Malik and he used to talk to us about the Ansar, and used to say to me:
    "Your people did so-and-so on such-and-such a day, and your people did so-and-so on such-andsuch
    a day."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 185:
    Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
    The first event of Qasama in the pre-lslamic period of ignorance was practiced by us (i.e. Banu
    Hashim). A man from Banu Hashim was employed by a Quraishi man from another branch-family.
    The (Hashimi) laborer set out with the Quraishi driving his camels. There passed by him another
    man from Banu Hashim. The leather rope of the latter's bag had broken so he said to the laborer,
    "Will you help me by giving me a rope in order to tie the handle of my bag lest the camels should
    run away from me?" The laborer gave him a rope and the latter tied his bag with it. When the caravan
    halted, all the camels' legs were tied with their fetters except one camel. The employer asked the
    laborer, "Why, from among all the camels has this camel not been fettered?" He replied, "There is no
    fetter for it." The Quraishi asked, "Where is its fetter?" and hit the laborer with a stick that caused his
    death (later on Just before his death) a man from Yemen passed by him. The laborer asked (him),
    "Will you go for the pilgrimage?" He replied, "I do not think I will attend it, but perhaps I will attend
    it." The (Hashimi) laborer said, "Will you please convey a message for me once in your life?" The
    other man said, "yes." The laborer wrote: 'When you attend the pilgrimage, call the family of
    Quraish, and if they respond to you, call the family of Banu Hashim, and if they respond to you, ask
    about Abu Talib and tell him that so-and-so has killed me for a fetter." Then the laborer expired.
    When the employer reached (Mecca), Abu Talib visited him and asked, "What has happened to our
    companion?" He said, "He became ill and I looked after him nicely (but he died) and I buried him."
    18 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Then Abu Talib said, "The deceased deserved this from you." After some time, the messenger whom
    the laborer has asked to convey the message, reached during the pilgrimage season. He called, "O
    the family of Quraish!" The people replied, "This is Quraish." Then he called, "O the family of Banu
    Hashim!" Again the people replied, "This is Banu Hashim." He asked, "Who is Abu Talib?" The people
    replied, "This is Abu Talib." He said, "'So-and-so has asked me to convey a message to you that soand-
    so has killed him for a fetter (of a camel)." Then Abu Talib went to the (Quraishi) killer and said
    to him, "Choose one of three alternatives: (i) If you wish, give us one-hundred camels because you
    have murdered our companion, (ii) or if you wish, fifty of your men should take an oath that you
    have not murdered our companion, and if you do not accept this, (iii) we will kill you in Qisas." The
    killer went to his people and they said, "We will take an oath." Then a woman from Banu Hashim
    who was married to one of them (i.e.the Quraishis) and had given birth to a child from him, came to
    Abu Talib and said, "O Abu Talib! I wish that my son from among the fifty men, should be excused
    from this oath, and that he should not take the oath where the oath-taking is carried on." Abu Talib
    excused him. Then another man from them came (to Abu Talib) and said, "O Abu Talib! You want
    fifty persons to take an oath instead of giving a hundred camels, and that means each man has to
    give two camels (in case he does not take an oath). So there are two camels I would like you to accept
    from me and excuse me from taking an oath where the oaths are taken. Abu Talib accepted
    them from him. Then 48 men came and took the oath. Ibn 'Abbas further said:) By Him in Whose
    Hand my life is, before the end of that year, none of those 48 persons remained alive.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 186:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    Allah caused the day of Buath to take place before Allah's Apostle was sent (as an Apostle) so that
    when Allah's Apostle reached Medina, those people had already divided (in different groups) and
    their chiefs had been killed or wounded. So Allah made that day precede Allah's Apostle so that they
    (i.e. the Ansar) might embrace Islam.
    Narrated Ibn 'Abbas: To run along the valley between two green pillars of Safa and Marwa
    (mountains) was not Sunna, but the people in the pre-islamic period of ignorance used to run along
    it, and used to say: "We do not cross this rain stream except running strongly. "
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 187:
    Narrated Abu As-Safar:
    I heard Ibn 'Abbas saying, "O people! Listen to what I say to you, and let me hear whatever you
    say, and don't go (without understanding), and start saying, 'Ibn 'Abbas said so-and-so, Ibn 'Abbas
    said so-and-so, Ibn 'Abbas said so-and-so.' He who wants to perform the Tawaf around the Ka'ba
    19 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    should go behind Al-Hijr (i.e. a portion of the Ka'ba left out unroofed) and do not call it Al-Hatim,
    for in the pre-Islamic period of ignorance if any man took an oath, he used to throw his whip, shoes
    or bow in it.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 188:
    Narrated 'Amr bin Maimun:
    During the pre-lslamic period of ignorance I saw a she-monkey surrounded by a number of
    monkeys. They were all stoning it, because it had committed illegal sexual intercourse. I too, stoned
    it along with them.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 189:
    Narrated Sufyan:
    'Ubaidullah said: "I heard Ibn 'Abbas saying, "Following are some traits of the people of the pre-Islamic
    period of ignorance (i) to defame the ancestry of other families, (ii) and to wail over the dead."
    'Ubaidullah forgot the third trait. Sufyan said, "They say it (i.e. the third trait) was to believe that rain
    was caused by the influence of stars (i.e. if a special star appears it will rain)."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 190:
    Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
    Allah's Apostle was inspired Divinely at the age of forty. Then he stayed in Mecca for thirteen
    years, and then was ordered to migrate, and he migrated to Medina and stayed there for ten years
    and then died.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 191:
    Narrated Khabbaba:
    I came to the Prophet while he was leaning against his sheet cloak in the shade of the Ka'ba. We
    were suffering greatly from the pagans in those days. i said (to him). "Will you invoke Allah (to help
    us)?" He sat down with a red face and said, "(A believer among) those who were before you used to
    be combed with iron combs so that nothing of his flesh or nerves would remain on his bones; yet
    that would never make him desert his religion. A saw might be put over the parting of his head
    which would be split into two parts, yet all that would never make him abandon his religion. Allah
    will surely complete this religion (i.e. Islam) so that a traveler from Sana to Hadra-maut will not be
    20 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    afraid of anybody except Allah." (The sub-narrator, Baiyan added, "Or the wolf, lest it should harm
    his sheep.")
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 192:
    Narrated 'Abdullah:
    The Prophet recited Surat An-Najam and prostrated, and there was nobody who did not prostrate
    then except a man whom I saw taking a handful of pebbles, lifting it, and prostrating on it. He then
    said, "This is sufficient for me." No doubt I saw him killed as a disbeliever afterwards.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 193:
    Narrated 'Abdullah:
    While the Prophet was prostrating, surrounded by some of Quraish, 'Uqba bin Abi Mu'ait brought
    the intestines (i.e. abdominal contents) of a camel and put them over the back of the Prophet. The
    Prophet did not raise his head, (till) Fatima, came and took it off his back and cursed the one who
    had done the harm. The Prophet said, "O Allah! Destroy the chiefs of Quraish, Abu Jahl bin Hisham,
    'Utba bin Rabi'al, Shaba bin Rabi'a, Umaiya bin Khalaf or Ubai bin Khalaf." (The sub-narrator Shu'ba,
    is not sure of the last name.) I saw these people killed on the day of Badr battle and thrown in the
    well except Umaiya or Ubai whose body parts were mutilated but he was not thrown in the well.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 194:
    Narrated Said bin Jubair:
    'AbdurRahman bin Abza said, "Ask Ibn 'Abbas about these two Qur'anic Verses: 'Nor kill such life
    as Allah has made sacred, Except for just cause.' (25.168) "And whoever kills a believer intentionally,
    his recompense is Hell. (4.93)
    So I asked Ibn 'Abbas who said, "When the Verse that is in Sura-al-Furqan was revealed, the pagans
    of Mecca said, 'But we have slain such life as Allah has made sacred, and we have invoked other
    gods along with Allah, and we have also committed fornication.' So Allah revealed:-- 'Except
    those who repent, believe, and do good-- (25.70)
    So this Verse was concerned with those people. As for the Verse in Surat-an-Nisa (4-93), it means
    that if a man, after understanding Islam and its laws and obligations, murders somebody, then his
    punishment is to dwell in the (Hell) Fire forever." Then I mentioned this to Mujahid who said, "Except
    the one who regrets (one's crime) . "
    21 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 195:
    Narrated 'Urwa bin Az-Zubair:
    I asked Ibn Amr bin Al-As, "Tell me of the worst thing which the pagans did to the Prophet." He
    said, "While the Prophet was praying in the Hijr of the Ka'ba; 'Uqba bin Abi Mu'ait came and put his
    garment around the Prophet's neck and throttled him violently. Abu Bakr came and caught him by
    his shoulder and pushed him away from the Prophet and said, "Do you want to kill a man just because
    he says, 'My Lord is Allah?' "
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 196:
    Narrated 'Urwa:
    As above (Hadith 195).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 197:
    Narrated 'Ammar bin Yasir:
    I saw Allah's Apostle , and the only converts (to Islam) with him, were five slaves, two women and
    Abu Bakr.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 198:
    Narrated Abu Ishaq Saud bin Abi Waqqas:
    None embraced Islam, except on the day I embraced it. And for seven days I was one of the three
    persons who were Muslims (one-third of Islam).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 199:
    Narrated 'Abdur-Rahman:
    "I asked Masruq, 'Who informed the Prophet about the Jinns at the night when they heard the
    Qur'an?' He said, 'Your father 'Abdullah informed me that a tree informed the Prophet about them.' "
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 200:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    That once he was in the, company of the Prophet carrying a water pot for his ablution and for
    cleaning his private parts. While he was following him carrying it(i.e. the pot), the Prophet said,
    22 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    "Who is this?" He said, "I am Abu Huraira." The Prophet said, "Bring me stones in order to clean my
    private parts, and do not bring any bones or animal dung." Abu Huraira went on narrating: So I
    brought some stones, carrying them in the corner of my robe till I put them by his side and went
    away. When he finished, I walked with him and asked, "What about the bone and the animal dung?"
    He said, "They are of the food of Jinns. The delegate of Jinns of (the city of) Nasibin came to me--and
    how nice those Jinns were--and asked me for the remains of the human food. I invoked Allah for
    them that they would never pass by a bone or animal dung but find food on them."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 201:
    Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:
    When Abu Dhar received the news of the Advent of the Prophet he said to his brother, "Ride to
    this valley (of Mecca) and try to find out the truth of the person who claims to be a prophet who is
    informed of the news of Heaven. Listen to what he says and come back to me." So his brother set out
    and came to the Prophet and listened to some of his talks, and returned to Abu Dhar and said to him.
    "I have seen him enjoining virtuous behavior and saying something that is not poetry." Abu Dhar
    said, "You have not satisfied me as to what I wanted." He then took his journey-food and carried a
    water-skin of his, containing some water till be reached Mecca. He went to the Mosque and
    searched for the Prophet and though he did not know him, he hated to ask anybody about him.
    When a part of the night had passed away, 'Ali saw him and knew that he was a stranger. So when
    Abu Dhar saw 'Ali, he followed him, and none of them asked his companion about anything, and
    when it was dawn, Abu Dhar took his journey food and his water-skin to the Mosque and stayed
    there all the day long without being perceived by the Prophet, and when it was evening, he came
    back to his retiring place. 'Ali passed by him and said, "Has the man not known his dwelling place
    yet?" So 'Ali awakened him and took him with him and none of them spoke to the other about anything.
    When it was the third day. 'Ali did the same and Abu Dhar stayed with him. Then 'Ali said
    "Will you tell me what has brought you here?" Abu Dhar said, "If you give me a firm promise that
    you will guide me, then I will tell you." 'Ali promised him, and he informed 'Ali about the matter. 'Ali
    said, "It is true, and he is the Apostle of Allah. Next morning when you get up, accompany me, and if
    I see any danger for you, I will stop as if to pass water, but if I go on, follow me and enter the place
    which I will enter." Abu Dhar did so, and followed 'Ali till he entered the place of the Prophet, and
    Abu Dhar went in with him, Abu Dhar listened to some of the Prophet's talks and embraced Islam
    on the spot. The Prophet said to him, "Go back to your people and inform them (about it) till you receive
    my order." Abu Dhar said, "By Him in Whose Hand my life is, I will proclaim my conversion
    loudly amongst them (i.e. the pagans)." So he went out, and when he reached the Mosque, he said as
    loudly as possible, "I bear witness that None has the right to be worshipped except Allah, and
    Muhammad is the Apostle of Allah." The People got up and beat him painfully. Then Al-Abbas came
    23 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    and knelt over him ((to protect him) and said (to the people), "Woe to you! Don't you know that this
    man belongs to the tribe of Ghifar and your trade to Sha'm is through their way?" So he rescued him
    from them. Abu Dhar again did the same the next day. They beat him and took vengeance on him
    and again Al-Abbas knelt over him (to protect him).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 202:
    Narrated Qais:
    I heard Said bin Zaid bin 'Amr bin Nufail saying in the mosque of Al-Kufa. "By Allah, I have seen
    myself tied and forced by 'Umar to leave Islam before 'Umar himself embraced Islam. And if the
    mountain of Uhud could move from its place for the evil which you people have done to 'Uthman,
    then it would have the right to move from its place."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 203:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin Mus'ud:
    We have been powerful since 'Umar embraced Islam.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 204:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin Umar:
    While 'Umar was at home in a state of fear, there came Al-'As bin Wail As-Sahmi Abu 'Amr,
    wearing an embroidered cloak and a shirt having silk hems. He was from the tribe of Bani Sahm
    who were our allies during the pre-Islamic period of ignorance. Al-'As said to 'Umar "What is
    wrong with you?" He said, "Your people claim that they would kill me if I become a Muslim." Al-'As
    said, "Nobody will harm you after I have given protection to you." So Al-'As went out and met the
    people streaming in the whole valley. He said, "Where are you going?" They said, "We want Ibn Al-
    Khattab who has embraced Islam." Al-'As said, "There is no way for anybody to touch him." So the
    people retreated.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 205:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
    When 'Umar embraced Islam, all The (disbelieving) people gathered around his home and said,
    "'Umar has embraced Islam." At that time I was still a boy and was on the roof of my house. There
    came a man wearing a cloak of Dibaj (i.e. a kind of silk), and said, "Umar has embraced Islam.
    24 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Nobody can harm him for I am his protector." I then saw the people going away from 'Umar and
    asked who the man was, and they said, "Al-'As bin Wail."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 206:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Umar:
    I never heard 'Umar saying about something that he thought it would be so-and-so, but he was
    quite right. Once, while 'Umar was sitting, a handsome man passed by him, 'Umar said, "If I am not
    wrong, this person is still on his religion of the pre-lslamic period of ignorance or he was their foreteller.
    Call the man to me." When the man was called to him, he told him of his thought. The man
    said, "I have never seen such a day on which a Muslim is faced with such an accusation." 'Umar said,
    "I am determined that you should tell me the truth." He said, "I was a foreteller in the pre-lslamic
    period of ignorance." Then 'Umar said, "Tell me the most astonishing thing your female Jinn has told
    you of." He said, "One-day while I was in the market, she came to me scared and said, 'Haven't you
    seen the Jinns and their despair and they were overthrown after their defeat (and prevented from
    listening to the news of the heaven) so that they (stopped going to the sky and) kept following
    camel-riders (i.e. 'Arabs)?" 'Umar said, "He is right." and added, "One day while I was near their
    idols, there came a man with a calf and slaughtered it as a sacrifice (for the idols). An (unseen)
    creature shouted at him, and I have never heard harsher than his voice. He was crying, 'O you bold
    evil-doer! A matter of success! An eloquent man is saying: None has the right to be worshipped except
    you (O Allah).' On that the people fled, but I said, 'I shall not go away till I know what is behind
    this.' Then the cry came again: 'O you bold evil-doer! A matter of success! An eloquent man is saying:
    None has the right to be worshipped except Allah.' I then went away and a few days later it was
    said, "A prophet has appeared."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 207:
    Narrated Qais:
    I heard Said bin Zaid saying to the people, "If you but saw me and 'Umar's sister tied and forced by
    'Umar to leave Islam while he was not yet a Muslim. And if the mountain of Uhud could move from
    its place for the evil which you people have done to Uthman, it would have the right to do that."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 208:
    Narrated Anas bin Malik:
    The people of Mecca asked Allah's Apostle to show them a miracle. So he showed them the moon
    split in two halves between which they saw the Hiram' mountain.
    25 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 209:
    Narrated 'Abdullah:
    The moon was split ( into two pieces ) while we were with the Prophet in Mina. He said, "Be witnesses."
    Then a Piece of the moon went towards the mountain.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 210:
    Narrated 'Abdullah bin 'Abbas:
    During the lifetime of Allah's Apostle the moon was split (into two places).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 211:
    Narrated 'Abdullah:
    The moon was split (into two pieces).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 212:
    Narrated 'Ubaidullah bin 'Adi bin Al-Khiyar:
    That Al-Miswar bin Makhrama and 'Abdur-Rahman bin Al-Aswad bin 'Abu Yaghuth had said to
    him, "What prevents you from speaking to your uncle 'Uthman regarding his brother Al-Walid bin
    'Uqba?" The people were speaking against the latter for what he had done. 'Ubaidullah said, "So I
    kept waiting for 'Uthman, and when he went out for the prayer, I said to him, 'I have got something
    to say to you as a piece of advice.' 'Uthman said, 'O man! I seek Refuge with Allah from you. So I
    went away. When I finished my prayer, I sat with Al-Miswar and Ibn 'Abu Yaghuth and talked to
    both of them of what I had said to 'Uthman and what he had said to me. They said, 'You have done
    your duty.' So while I was sitting with them. 'Uthman's Messenger came to me. They said, 'Allah has
    put you to trial." I set out and when I reached 'Uthman, he said, 'What is your advice which you
    mentioned a while ago?' I recited Tashahhud and added, 'Allah has sent Muhammad and has revealed
    the Holy Book (i.e. Quran) to him. You (O Uthman!) were amongst those who responded to
    the call of Allah and His Apostle and had faith in him. And you took part in the first two migrations
    (to Ethiopia and to Medina), and you enjoyed the company of Allah's Apostle and learned his traditions
    and advice. Now the people are talking much about Al-Walid bin 'Uqba and so it is your duty
    to impose on him the legal punishment.' 'Uthman then said to me, 'O my nephew! Did you ever meet
    Allah's Apostle ?' I said, 'No, but his knowledge has reached me as it has reached the virgin in her seclusion.'
    'Uthman then recited Tashahhud and said, 'No doubt, Allah has sent Muhammad with the
    Truth and has revealed to him His Holy Book (i.e. Quran) and I was amongst those who responded
    26 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    to the call of Allah and His Apostle and I had faith in Muhammad's Mission, and I had performed
    the first two migrations as you have said, and I enjoyed the company of Allah's Apostle and gave the
    pledge of allegiance to him. By Allah, I never disobeyed him and never cheated him till Allah caused
    him to die. Then Allah made Abu Bakr Caliph, and by Allah, I was never disobedient to him, nor did
    I cheat him. Then 'Umar became Caliph, and by Allah, I was never disobedient to him, nor did I
    cheat him. Then I became Caliph. Have I not then the same rights over you as they had over me?' I
    replied in the affirmative. 'Uthman further said, 'The what are these talks which are reaching me
    from you? As for what you ha mentioned about Al-Walid bin 'Uqb; Allah willing, I shall give him
    the leg; punishment justly. Then Uthman ordered that Al-Walid be flogged fort lashes. He ordered
    'Ali to flog him an he himself flogged him as well."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 213:
    Narrated 'Aisha:
    Um Habiba and Um Salama mentioned a church they had seen in Ethiopia and in the church
    there were pictures. When they told the Prophet of this, he said, "Those people are such that if a pious
    man amongst them died, they build a place of worship over his grave and paint these pictures in
    it. Those people will be Allah's worst creatures on the Day of Resurrection . "
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 214:
    Narrated Um Khalid bint Khalid:
    When I came from Ethiopia (to Medina), I was a young girl. Allah's Apostle made me wear a sheet
    having marks on it. Allah's Apostle was rubbing those marks with his hands saying, "Sanah! Sanah!"
    (i.e. good, good).
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 215:
    Narrated 'Abdullah:
    We used to greet the Prophet while he used to be in prayers, and he used to reply to our greetings.
    But when we came back from Najashi (the King of Ethiopia) we greeted him (while he was praying)
    and he did not reply to us. We said, "O Allah's Apostle! We used to greet you in the past and you
    used to reply to us." He said, "Verily The Mind is occupied and busy with more important matter
    during the prayer." (So one cannot return One's greetings.)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 216:
    Narrated Abu Musa:
    27 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    We received the news of the departure of the Prophet (to Medina) while we were in Yemen. So
    we went on board a ship but our ship took us away to An-Najashi (the Negus) in Ethiopia. There we
    met Ja'far bin Abi Talib and stayed with him till we came (to Medina) by the time when the Prophet
    had conquered Khaibar. The Prophet said, "O you people of the ship! You will have (the reward of)
    two migrations."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 217:
    Narrated Jabir:
    When Negus died, the Prophet said, "Today a pious man has died. So get up and offer the funeral
    prayer for your brother Ashama
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 218:
    Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah Al-Ansari:
    Allah's Apostle led the funeral prayer for the Negus and made us stand in rows behind him and I
    was in the second or third row.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 219:
    Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:
    The Prophet offered the funeral prayer for Ashama, the Negus, with four Takbir.
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 220:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    that Allah's Apostle informed them (i.e. his companions) of the death of Negus, the king of
    Ethiopia, on the very day on which the latter died, and said, "Ask Allah's Forgiveness for your brother"
    Abu Huraira further said, "Allah's Apostle made them (i.e. the Muslims) stand in rows at the
    Musalla (i.e. praying place) and led the funeral prayer for the Negus and said four Takbir."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 221:
    Narrated Abu Huraira:
    Allah's Apostle, while going out for the battle of Hunain, said, "Tomorrow Allah willing, we will
    encamp at Khaif Bani Kinana where the pagans(of Quraish) took the oath of Kufr (against the
    28 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Prophet i.e. to be loyal to heathenism, by boycotting Banu Hashim, the Prophet's folk, See Hadith No.
    659 Vol. 2) .
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 222:
    Narrated Al-Abbas bin 'Abdul Muttalib:
    That he said to the Prophet "You have not been of any avail to your uncle (Abu Talib) (though) by
    Allah, he used to protect you and used to become angry on your behalf." The Prophet said, "He is in a
    shallow fire, and had It not been for me, he would have been in the bottom of the (Hell) Fire."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 223:
    Narrated Al-Musaiyab:
    When Abu Talib was in his death bed, the Prophet went to him while Abu Jahl was sitting beside
    him. The Prophet said, "O my uncle! Say: None has the right to be worshipped except Allah, an expression
    I will defend your case with, before Allah." Abu Jahl and 'Abdullah bin Umaya said, "O Abu
    Talib! Will you leave the religion of 'Abdul Muttalib?" So they kept on saying this to him so that the
    last statement he said to them (before he died) was: "I am on the religion of 'Abdul Muttalib." Then
    the Prophet said, " I will keep on asking for Allah's Forgiveness for you unless I am forbidden to do
    so." Then the following Verse was revealed:--
    "It is not fitting for the Prophet and the believers to ask Allah's Forgiveness for the pagans, even if
    they were their near relatives, after it has become clear to them that they are the dwellers of the
    (Hell) Fire." (9.113)
    The other Verse was also revealed:-- "(O Prophet!) Verily, you guide not whom you like, but Allah
    guides whom He will ......." (28.56)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 224:
    Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:
    That he heard the Prophet when somebody mentioned his uncle (i.e. Abu Talib), saying, "Perhaps
    my intercession will be helpful to him on the Day of Resurrection so that he may be put in a shallow
    fire reaching only up to his ankles. His brain will boil from it."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 225:
    Narrated Yazid:
    (as above, Hadith 224) using the words: "will make his brain boil."
    29 / 52
    SAHIH BUKHARI BOOK 58: MERITS OF THE HELPERS IN MADINAH (ANSAAR)
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 226:
    Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah:
    That he heard Allah's Apostle saying, "When the people of Quraish did not believe me (i.e. the
    story of my Night Journey), I stood up in Al-Hijr and Allah displayed Jerusalem in front of me, and I
    began describing it to them while I was looking at it."
    Volume 5, Book 58, Number 227:
    Narrated Abbas bin Malik:
    Malik bin Sasaa said that Allah's Apostle described to them his Night Journey saying, "While I was
    lying in Al-Hatim or Al-Hijr, suddenly someone came to me and cut my body open from here to
    here." I asked Al-Jarud who was by my side, "What does he mean?" He said, "It means from his throat
    to his pubic area," or said, "From the top of the chest." The Prophet further said, "He then took out my
    heart. Then a gold tray of Belief was brought to me and my heart was washed and was filled (with
    Belief) and then returned to its original place. Then a white animal which was smaller than a mule
    and bigger than a donkey was brought to me." (On this Al-Jarud asked, "Was it the Buraq, O Abu
    Hamza?" I (i.e. Anas) replied in the affirmative). The Prophet said, "The animal's step (was so wide
    that it) reached the farthest point within the reach of the animal's sight. I was carried on it, and
    Gabriel set out with me till we reached the nearest heaven.
    When he asked for the gate to be opened, it was asked, 'Who is it?' Gabriel answered, 'Gabriel.' It
    was asked, 'Who is accompanying you?' Gabriel replied, 'Muhammad.' It was asked, 'Has
    Muhammad been called?' Gabriel replied in the affirmative. Then it was said, 'He is welcomed.
    What an excellent visit his is!' The gate was opened, and when I went over the first heaven, I saw
    Adam there. Gabriel said (to me). 'This is your father, Adam; pay him your greetings.' So I

    (Message over 64 KB, truncated)