members MESSAGES, FEEDBACK_PLUS: messages from brother maqsud_sobhani

  • islam4all group
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15, 2004
      as salam u alaykum

      i hope you all are fine and having an nice time in the group.
      Following are a few messages from the members that they posted to the group.
      The group moderators may not necessarily follow the same views and
      opinions.

      please do read them.

      take care,
      regards,

      moderators
      islam4all

      From: maqsud sobhani <maqsud_sobhani@...>
      Date: Thu Sep 9, 2004 6:16pm
      Subject: Massacre Draws Self-Criticism in Muslim Press & Oxford Muntada:

      Massacre Draws Self-Criticism in Muslim Press
      By JOHN KIFNER

      Published: September 9, 2004

      EIRUT, Lebanon, Sept. 8 - The brutal school siege in
      Russia, with hundreds of children dead and wounded,
      has touched off an unusual round of self-criticism and
      introspection in the Muslim and Arab world.

      "It is a certain fact that not all Muslims are
      terrorists, but it is equally certain, and
      exceptionally painful, that almost all terrorists are
      Muslims," Abdel Rahman al-Rashed, the general manager
      of the widely watched satellite television station Al
      Arabiya said in one of the most striking of these
      commentaries.

      Writing in the pan-Arab newspaper Al Sharq al Awsat,
      Mr. Rashed said it was "shameful and degrading" that
      not only were the Beslan hijackers Muslims, but so
      were the killers of Nepalese workers in Iraq; the
      attackers of residential towers in Riyadh and Khobar,
      Saudi Arabia; the women believed to have blown up two
      Russian airplanes last week; and Osama bin Laden
      himself.

      "The majority of those who manned the suicide bombings
      against buses, vehicles, schools, houses and
      buildings, all over the world, were Muslim," he wrote.
      "What a pathetic record. What an abominable
      'achievement.' Does this tell us anything about
      ourselves, our societies and our culture?"

      Mr. Rashed, like several other commentators, singled
      out Sheik Yusuf al-Qaradawi, a senior Egyptian cleric
      living in Qatar who broadcasts an influential program
      on Al Jazeera television and who has issued a fatwa,
      or religious ruling, calling for the killing of
      American and foreign "occupiers" in Iraq, military and
      civilian.

      "Let us contemplate the incident of this religious
      sheik allowing, nay even calling for, the murder of
      civilians," he wrote. "How can we believe him when he
      tells us that Islam is the religion of mercy and peace
      while he is turning it into a religion of blood and
      slaughter?"

      Mr. Rashed recalled that in the past, leftists and
      nationalists in the Arab world were considered a
      "menace" for their adoption of violence, and the
      mosque was a haven of "peace and reconciliation" by
      contrast.

      "Then came the neo-Muslims," he said. "An innocent and
      benevolent religion, whose verses prohibit the felling
      of trees in the absence of urgent necessity, that
      calls murder the most heinous of crimes, that says
      explicitly that if you kill one person you have killed
      humanity as a whole, has been turned into a global
      message of hate and a universal war cry."

      A columnist for the Kuwaiti newspaper Al Siyassa,
      Faisal al-Qina'I, also took aim at Sheik Qaradawi. "It
      is saddening," he wrote, "to read and hear from those
      who are supposed to be Muslim clerics, like Yusuf
      al-Qaradawi and others of his kind, that instead of
      defending true Islam, they encourage these cruel
      actions and permit decapitation, hostage taking and
      murder."

      In Jordan, a group of Muslim religious figures,
      meeting with the religious affairs minister, Ahmed
      Heleil, issued a statement on Wednesday saying the
      seizing of the school and subsequent massacre "was
      dedicated to distorting the pure image of Islam.''

      "This terrorist act contradicts the principles of our
      true Muslim religion and its noble values," the
      statement said.

      Writing in the Jordanian daily Ad Dustour, columnist
      Bater Wardam noted the propensity in the Arab world to
      "place responsibility for the crimes of Arabic and
      Muslim terrorist organizations on the Mossad, the
      Zionists and the American intelligence, but we all
      know that this is not the case.''

      "They came from our midst," he wrote of those who had
      kidnapped and killed civilians in Iraq, blown up
      commuter trains in Spain, turned airliners into bombs
      and shot the children in Ossetia.

      "They are Arabs and Muslims who pray, fast, grow
      beards, demand the wearing of veils and call for the
      defense of Islamic causes,'' he said. "Therefore we
      must all raise our voices, disown them and oppose all
      these crimes."

      In Beirut, Rami G. Khouri editor of the Daily Star,
      wrote that while most Arabs "identified strongly and
      willingly" with armed Palestinian or Lebanese
      guerrillas fighting Israeli occupation, "all of us
      today are dehumanized and brutalized by the images of
      Arabs kidnapping and beheading foreign hostages."

      Calling for a global strategy to reduce terror, he
      traced what he called "this ugly trek" in the Arab
      world to "the home-grown sense of indignity,
      humiliation, denial and degradation that has
      increasingly plagued many of our young men and women."

      A Palestinian columnist, Hassan al-Batal, wrote in the
      official Palestinian Authority newspaper Al Ayyam that
      the "day of horror in the school" should be designated
      an international day for the condemnation of
      terrorism. "There are no mitigating circumstances for
      the inhuman horror and the height of barbarism," he
      said of the school attack.

      In Egypt, the semi-official newspaper Al Ahram called
      the events "an ugly crime against humanity."

      In Saudi Arabia, newspapers tightly controlled by the
      government - which finds itself under attack from
      Islamic fundamentalists - were even more scathing.

      Under the headline "Butchers in the Name of Allah," a
      columnist in the government daily Okaz, Khaled Hamed
      al-Suleiman, wrote that "the propagandists of jihad
      succeeded in the span of a few years in distorting the
      image of Islam.''

      "They turned today's Islam into something having to do
      with decapitations, the slashing of throats, abducting
      innocent civilians and exploding people,'' he said.
      "They have fixed the image of Muslims in the eyes of
      the world as barbarians and savages who are not good
      for anything except slaughtering people."

      "The time has come for Muslims to be the first to come
      out against those interested in abducting Islam in the
      same way they abducted innocent children,'' he added.
      "This is the true jihad these days, and this is our
      obligation, as believing Muslims, toward our
      monotheistic religion."

      From: maqsud sobhani <maqsud_sobhani@y...>
      Date: Fri Sep 3, 2004 7:37 am
      Subject: Oxford Muntada: Muslim Youth in Forum

      Oxford Muntada: Muslim Youth in Forum
      By Gabeba Baderoon

      �Ladies and gentlemen, the Common Room is now closed.�
      The daily announcement from the porter at Christ
      Church College was able to put only a temporary halt
      to the conversations among participants at the Oxford
      Muntada (3 � 30 August 2003), a collaborative project
      between the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies (OCIS)
      and the British Council. The inaugural Muntada (the
      word is Arabic for forum) brought together twenty-five
      Muslims from all over the world for a month of
      dialogue in Oxford. During the meeting, it was often
      after midnight when people finally walked back to
      their rooms past the warm stone walls of Christ Church
      College, still talking.
      The participants in this innovative program came from
      a range of countries: from Kosovo to Kenya, Bahrain to
      Britain, and Malaysia to Morocco. The Muntada formed
      part of the British Council�s Connecting Futures
      program, which creates forums through which the next
      generation of leaders in the UK and other countries
      can engage with one another on important issues facing
      their communities.
      In format, the Muntada combined seminars by
      distinguished professors, researchers, activists, and
      NGO officers, with extensive time for questions and
      discussions by participants. In addition, the program
      included visits to the Foreign Office and the Regent�s
      Park Central Mosque in London, attendance at a panel
      discussion with leading journalists, and special
      viewings of the Islamic art holdings in the British
      and Victoria and Albert Museums.
      Between the Seminars

      The participants in this innovative program came from
      a range of countries

      Perhaps the most important aspect of the Muntada,
      however, which did not appear in its schedule, was the
      free time between seminars. Over the month, the
      Muntada initiated deep friendships among the
      participants. For most, this was �the first time to
      have such contact with Muslims from all parts of the
      world,� as Xjabir Hamiti from Kosovo observed. Even
      the full schedule of formal sessions at the Muntada
      could not accommodate the resulting interest.
      Participants established other �common rooms� to
      continue their interaction. Almahdi Alonto of the
      Philippines was not surprised. �There is so much for
      Muslims to learn about other Muslims in the world,� he
      said.

      What might Muslims learn about one another in such a
      setting?

      Professor James Piscatori, whose seminars on political
      movements in the Muslim world were extremely
      well-received, felt that the seminars would enable a
      new kind of exchange. He envisioned that �the Muntada
      would offer people the opportunity to meet in a
      setting removed from their own, hopefully an open,
      honest, not combative space, which would allow them
      push the agenda forward, to think through the larger
      issues, without being defensive.�
      The larger questions visited often during the Muntada
      include the question of identity, the nature of
      modernity, the definition of good governance, the
      impact of globalization, the future of Islamic
      education, and media images of Muslim societies, et
      cetera.
      Relations between Muslims and the West were a central
      focus of the Muntada, and according to Dr. Hassan
      Abedin of the OCIS, one of its aims was to bring
      together Muslims from the West and the Islamic world.
      This focus was both very complex and also very
      successfully achieved in the program.
      Yasmeen Daifallah of Egypt found �the most stimulating
      and novel dimension I have encountered in this Muntada
      is my encounter with Western Muslims. It countered the
      stereotype I had. To come here to find that these
      people have struck the balance of being part of the
      whole and yet retaining their own identity and belief
      system has been the most profound part of the
      Muntada.�

      Muhamed Al-Nurry, who is from the United Arab
      Emirates, found the status of British Muslims to be
      particularly encouraging. �They can be an example for
      Muslims around the world, even those in the Islamic
      countries, because of the freedoms and the privileges
      of democracy in Britain.�

      Xjabir Hamiti added that Islam in Europe has a
      centuries-long history, and that the Muntada�s focus
      on Muslims in Britain could usefully be related to
      Muslim life in other Western countries.
      Another of the larger questions is the issue of
      diversity among Muslims. From the perspective of the
      OCIS, Dr. Abedin observed, �The desire was to have as
      much diversity amongst participants as possible. We
      wanted representatives from every Muslim country.� He
      explained that the value of such diversity was �to
      provide exposure to future Muslim leaders to debates,
      issues, successes, challenges that we all faced
      regardless of ethnicity or culture.�
      As Mohammed Haider Ali of Bangladesh stated, �The main
      issue is sharing. The problems will always be there,
      but there is no particular solution. The method is
      always changing.�
      To address such evolving problems presents a challenge
      to Muslim leaders, according to Abeer Khraisha of
      Jordan. It means that �we need the scholars to be
      more open, more liberal, more creative,� she asserted.

      Dynamic Diversity

      Diversity also has another dimension. One question
      raised often in the course of the Muntada was the
      nature of the Ummah (community of Muslims) and the
      implications of numerous views on Islam in the Muslim
      world.
      In a contemporary world which is often fearful of or
      hostile to Islam, how do Muslims respond to a
      diversity of views and perspectives among themselves?
      Is diversity to be accepted and even welcomed, or seen
      as a source of fragmentation and weakness?
      �At times the differences among Muslim communities are
      a blessing, but it can become a point of conflict
      rather than diversity,� was the view of Abeer
      Khraisha.
      On the other hand, the relation of difference to unity
      raises questions about dialogue itself. Professor
      Piscatori noted, �Multi-vocality within Islam is a
      fact. The question is, do we allow the validity of
      multi-vocality?�
      Syahrul Hidayat of Indonesia, too, addressed this
      theme of many perspectives. He believes that �the
      important point of the Muntada is that we Muslims can
      learn that we are different from one another. What we
      have to learn is that Islam is not monolithic. There
      are lots of interpretations, four interpretations of
      fiqh, for example. We are different, but we can make
      relations, cooperation and action from that starting
      point.�
      A view strongly articulated by representatives from
      Southeast Asia continued to engage with the theme of
      dominant perceptions of Islam. ��I think the issue of
      how to see Muslim identity or culture is very
      important. People think that Muslim identity is an
      Arab identity. But is it?� Rahmawati Hussein of
      Indonesia asked. In effect, the diversity of origins,
      perspectives and cultures among the participants
      provided a corrective to the notion that �discussion
      of Islam means discussion only about the Middle East,�
      she continued.

      Muslims and Other Faiths

      Another important theme that arose in discussions is
      the relation of Muslims to other faiths and to
      secularism. In countries like South Africa, Muslims
      are a small minority who live alongside people of
      other faiths within a largely secular public space,
      and through mobilization, careful engagement and
      negotiation with the state, have moved toward the
      recognition of Shari`ah in personal law. The
      experience of Muslim-majority states in Southeast
      Asia, such as Malaysia and Indonesia, is also
      significant, since they have substantial non-Muslim
      minorities.
      Syahrul Hidayat believes that the way in which
      Indonesians have dealt with this reality is
      instructive to Muslims in other parts of the world.
      �The characteristic of my country is pluralism. Muslim
      life in Indonesia is tolerance. They can tolerate
      other values.�
      Hadeel Treiki of Libya also addressed the issue of the
      boundaries of religious identities. She voiced a
      concern that to define Muslim identity as having
      closed boundaries between the self and the other runs
      the danger of being impervious to true exchange and
      dialogue.
      Ibnu Anshori is certain that such exchange is
      necessary. �For Muslims around the world to create
      communication with the non-Muslim world is very
      important.� Offering a different vision of Muslim
      identity, he believes that �being Muslim is a process.
      This means you should appreciate other people.�
      Syahrul Hidayat outlines a similarly expansive
      approach, and concludes that in this way Muslims can
      contribute valuable perspectives to others, as well as
      receive them.
      Talal Malik, who is from Britain, reflected on the
      promise of further interaction between Muslims in the
      West and elsewhere in the Muslim world. �I believe an
      intellectual revival in Islam is likely to emerge from
      an interaction between Muslim academics in the West
      and those in more traditional Muslim societies.�

      please visit and join:

      From: Amina Raja <Amina_raja2004@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:15am
      Subject: Re: [islam4all] [MyIslam] ~!~ Revealing Questions You Should Ask Before Getting Married ~!~
      Wa alikum Salaam,

      Being that I am gettting married tomarrow and am a convert to Islam this is quite timley. How ever I am a mental health social worker and have done marriege counseling and family counseling for the last 15 years. So for me these were the kinds of questions I asked in the first two days I talked to me soon to be husband.
      I was happy that he answered all they way I wanted him to. I feel the main thing in marriege in the intentions and exspectations of the two getting married. Love is an act of will and not just an emotion. After the newness and first hot emotional feelings beging to settle down then the work of being together and living in peace begins.
      I have been single as long as my husband has. We both got married young, and divoced young. We both dated, him being away from Islam after moving to the USA and me living a normal non religous life here in the states. Were both now in our mid 40's and after taking some time to settle back into Islam and pull his life back in line he began to look and pray for a wife. For me after I got closer to God and learned how to pratice my faith and still be myself I began to pray for a husband to complete me.
      Alhumdullah Allah looked inside both of us and saw were right for each other and brought us together in a very intresting way.
      Now we are going to marry and inshallah spend the rest of our lives in peace and happiness.
      Salaam Amina

      From: "bakka1makka" <bakka1makka@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:07am
      Subject: Re: Topical Index of The Holy Quran
      Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatuallahi wa barakatahu brother,
      JazakAllah khairan ,its a BIG help to me,
      keep up the good work,
      may Allah subhanawatala guide us all.
      wa/salaamualaikum wa rahmatuallahi wa barakatahu.

      From: DR UMAR AZAM <dr_umar_azam@y...>
      Date: Fri Sep 3, 2004 10:01am
      Subject: PRACTICAL ISLAMIC ADVICE

      The World-Famous Booklet �PRACTICAL ISLAMIC ADVICE�
      Compiled by Dr. Umar Azam B.A., Ph.D, F.R.S.A., F.R.S.S.A.
      This booklet has proved to be very useful to readers in many countries, including: UK, Pakistan, India, South Africa, Australia, Nigeria, Ghana, Malaysia, Indonesia, USA, and Canada

      What is in this booklet? Here are just some of the things:
      1. Prayer to see the Holy Prophet [PBUH] in a dream.
      2. Prayer to see your House in Paradise in a dream.
      3. Prayer whereby Allah Most High will create 70,000 Angels to pray for your forgiveness.
      4. Prayer of the married couple before going to bed.
      5. Quranic Taweez
      6. Essential advice for the younger generation of Muslims
      Take advantage of the opportunity not just of seeing this booklet but downloading it! [There are no copyright restrictions at all!]
      Go to www.dr-umar-azam.com and then click on �Practical Islamic Advice� on the left-hand side. A] Don�t forget to fill in the survey form on the very last page of the booklet. B] Also, please sign the Guest Book on this Site with your honest and valuable comments.

      DR UMAR AZAM B.A., Ph.D., D.C.L., Dip. F.J., Dip. I.M., F.R.S.A.

      PLEASE SEE MY SITE www.dr-umar-azam.com AND SIGN MY GUESTBOOK WITH YOUR HONEST AND VALUABLE COMMENTS. THANKS.

      From: "DDN" <dominedirigenos@...>
      Date: Tue Sep 14, 2004 6:30am
      Subject: Qur'an 9:11 - re: Completely Unverified information to spread around...

      Dear Jason,

      The email you sent referencing the following verse is not the aayah (verse) quoted in the Holy Qur'an ( i.e. Chapter 9 Verse 11) - it is a hoax concocted by pathetic people who think they can undermine the Word of Allah Almighty by circulating this fake verse: - quote:

      "Koran (9:11) - For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there was peace." - unquote.

      The original verse in the Holy Qur'an: At-Taubah 9:11 is (the interpretation of the meaning):

      "But (even so), if they repent, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity,- they are your brethren in Faith: (thus) do We explain the Signs in detail, for those who understand."

      Please read the two (2) hoax reports which I have attached below - and read also the truth in following Qur'anic verses which are - "completely verified information (for you) to spread around ..."

      Jason, you may not be aware that there were groups that would change the Words of Allah (and they are still doing it to this day) - adding something here, deleting there, or changing the entire verse (as in your transmission) - to pound "their truth" and keep their 'flock' in servitude to what they desired. Allah Almighty says (the interpretation of the meaning):

      "And indeed, there is among them a party who alters, who distort the Book with their tongues: (As they read) you would think it is a part of the Book, but it is no part of the Book; and they say, "That is from Allah," but it is not from Allah. It is they who tell a lie against Allah, and (well) they know it! (The Qur'an: 'Aal-Imran 3:78)

      However, Allah Almighty, has promised to always preserve and protect His Book, the Holy Qur'an as He Ta'ala tells us (the interpretation of the meaning):

      "We have, without doubt, sent down the Message (the Qur'an); and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption)." (The Qur'an: al-Hijr 15:9)

      and

      "Praise be to Allah, Who hath sent to His Servant the Book (the Qur'an), and hath allowed therein no Crookedness: (He hath made it) Straight (and Clear) in order that He may warn (the godless) of a terrible Punishment from Him, and that He may give Glad Tidings to the Believers who work righteous deeds, that they shall have a goodly Reward ..." (The Qur'an: Al Kahf 18:1-2 - the interpretation of the meaning)

      Jason, the Truth will always prevail as Allah Almighty says in the Holy Qur'an (the interpretation of the meaning):

      "Those who reject the Message (Qur'an) when it comes onto them (are guilty), for indeed it is an unassailable Scripture. No falsehood can approach it from before or behind it: It is sent down by One Full of Wisdom, Worthy of all Praise." (Fussilat 41:41-42)

      What you have read above is the clear and fundamental Truth whole-heartedly embraced by Muslims! No amount of adverse propaganda or falsehood will affect our faith in Allah Almighty's Words in the Holy Qur'an.

      I remember your mother mentioning that you took a semester's course in philosophy at Princeton and enjoyed the writings of the French writer-philosopher Fran�ois-Marie Arouet, who is better known by his pen name, Voltaire. So you may recollect reading what Voltaire said (attributed) when addressing the French public in 1767: "Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices." http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Voltaire

      And you may also remember reading the letter Voltaire wrote to M. Damiliville dated16 May 1767: "I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." http://www.ronaldbrucemeyer.com/rants/1121a-almanac.htm

      For your information, I have received this email about the false Qur'anic verse more times than I care to remember. What saddens me is that it usually comes from some otherwise kind and good non-Muslims who obviously are not only ignorant of the Holy Qur'an, but also WANT to believe something bad about Islam (basically due to media and government propoganda), so they don't bother to check the story they pass on, thereby misinforming others. People like that is why we have Judgement Day. Praise be to Allah Almighty.

      So Jason, do be careful not to distribute material without first checking its authencity and I hope you will accept my communique as part of your learning curve.

      All the best to you and your family,

      K a r i m a

      http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/quran.asp

      Claim: Quranic verse speaks of the "wrath of the Eagle cleansing the lands of Allah."

      Example: [Collected on the Internet, 2003]

      Quran (9:11) -- For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there was peace.

      Origins: No, this isn't a legitimate quotation from the Quran (or Koran), the sacred text of Islam. The chapter and verse citation quoted above is a leg-pull, an obvious play on the USA's (the Eagle) launching of military action against Afghanistan and Iraq (the "lands of Allah") in response to the September 11 terrorist attacks on America organized by Osama bin Laden (the "son of Arabia awakening a fearsome eagle"). That the chapter and verse selection match the date of the terrorist attacks (9:11) is another giveaway to the joke.

      Depending upon which translation of the Quran one uses, the section corresponding to chapter 9, verse 11 actually reads something like this:
      But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, they are your brethren in faith; and We make the communications clear for a people who know.
      Last updated: 3 May 2003 http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/quran.asp

      http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_quran_911.htm

      Urban Legends and Folklore
      Qur'an Verse 9:11 - 'The Wrath of the Eagle' [IMG]Netlore Archive: Does verse 9:11 of the Qur'an (Koran) predict that the 'wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah'?
      Circulating since: Feb 2003
      Analysis: See below

      Email example contributed by J. Long, 3 August 2003:

      IS THIS A COINCIDENCE OR SOMETHING ELSE?
      Bin Laden and Saddam should have read up on The Muslim passages...
      The following verse is from the Quran, (the Islamic Bible)
      Quran ( 9:11) -- For it is written that a son of Arabia would awaken a fearsome Eagle. The wrath of the Eagle would be felt throughout the lands of Allah and lo, while some of the people trembled in despair still more rejoiced; for the wrath of the Eagle cleansed the lands of Allah; and there was peace.
      (Note the verse number!!!!!)

      Comments: Truth be told, the word "eagle" doesn't appear anywhere in the Muslim holy book, the Qur'an. Neither, it goes without saying, does this phony verse combining American symbolism (the bald eagle is the official national emblem of the U.S.A.) with recent history and Islamic prophecy.

      Verse 9:11 of the Qur'an is about repentance and reads as follows in three different English translations:
      But (even so), if they repent, establish regular prayers, and practise regular charity, they are your brethren in Faith: (thus) do We explain the Signs in detail, for those who understand.

      But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then are they your brethren in religion. We detail Our revelations for a people who have knowledge.

      But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, they are your brethren in faith; and We make the communications clear for a people who know.

      The earliest instance I could find of the fake passage, evidently intended as a joke in its original context, is in a Usenet posting dated February 14, 2003.

      Sources and further reading: The Holy Qur'an
      From IslamiCity.com
      Search the Qur'an
      Searchable database includes three English translations of the Qur'an, courtesy of the University of Southern California
      Bald Eagle - The U.S.A.'s National Symbol
      From the American Eagle Foundation

      http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_quran_911.htm

      From: "Karim A G" <coffee@e...>
      Date: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:06am
      Subject: Iran offers university places to headscarfed French students

      Iran offers university places to headscarfed French students

      http://www.expatica.com/source/site_article.asp?subchannel_id=58&story_id=11599&name=Iran+offers+university+places+to+headscarfed+French+students

      TEHRAN, Sept 8 (AFP) - Iran has responded to restrictions in France, Germany and Turkey on the wearing of Muslim headscarves by offering university places here to women who want to wear the veil, state television reported Wednesday.

      According to the report, Iran's top decision-making body on cultural and university affairs - the Supreme Cultural Revolution Council - said it would provide additional places to well-veiled females.

      It made no mention of whether Iranian universities would also waive fees, but did say such students would be exempt from sitting entrance examinations.

      The French embassy in Tehran has been the target of demonstrations over a ban on Muslim girls wearing the headscarf in French state schools.

      Two German states have also voted through similar restrictions, while six other states have put forward draft laws banning headscarves or other religious symbols in public institutions.

      Headscarves are also forbidden in universities and public offices in strictly secular Turkey.

      Every post-pubescent female in Iran, regardless of her nationality or religion, is obliged to observe the Islamic dress code and cover her hair whenever outside the home.

      From: "Karim A G" <coffee@e...>
      Date: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:47pm
      Subject: Iftar 1425.doc

      The Lady Fatemah (a.s.) Charitable Trust
      Charitable Trust Registration No.: 1072270

      www.ladyfatemahtrust.org info@l...

      September Lodge, Village Way, Little Chalfont, Bucks HP7 9PU United Kingdom

      Tel : 01494 762 063

      Ramadhan 1425 - Iftaar Appeal

      Alhamdulillah, this Ramadhan the Trust intends to continue to facilitate the distribution of Iftaar to the needy for the seventh consecutive year.

      Last year over 20,000 individuals benefited from the generosity of our donors in Kerbala, Najaf and other towns in southern Iraq. Our volunteers on site assess each family on their need and is either supplied with the necessary food to last them through the Holy Month or have cooked meals served to them (picture below).

      In addition, during the Holy Month, the Trust distributed gifts to orphans, the elderly and people with special needs living in care homes in Kerbala. A total of �23,000 was distributed in the holy month.

      A further, 2,500 individuals living in rural areas through southern India received Iftaar throughout the month at a total cost of �8,000.

      For more pictures and full reports on these projects please visit our web-site.

      For just �25 you can make a difference to the lives of one family in either of these regions this Ramadhan.

      The need in these areas is as great this year as it has over the previous ones and I sincerely pray that you will continue to make the difference.

      Our web site also has details on how to remit monies to the Trust including the secure on-line credit card donation portal, together with information on the other areas of the Trusts activities which are divided into the following areas:

      EDUCATION

      WATER AID

      ASSISTANCE TO ORPHANS

      MEDICAL ASSISTANCE

      MICRO FINANCE

      HOUSING

      The Trusts policy is to ensure the recipient receives the full amount donated. No deductions are made from amounts received, all bank charges are met privately, no commission is paid to any agents, all ground work is carried out by volunteers.

      Remember, as a registered Charity, we are able to reclaim tax from donations down to �1  please use the form at :

      http://www.ladyfatemahtrust.org/donate.php

      Much more can be accomplished, Insha-Allah, with your assistance.

      With Salaams,

      Amirali G. Karim, Trustee.

      http://mail.yahoo.com