Why did the prophet Muhammad(pbuh) marry many wives?

  • soft wind
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
      Why did the prophet Muhammad (pbuh)marry many wives?

      The reasons for the marriages will become clear once we survey the historical circumstances. When Muhammad was twenty-five years old he married for the first time. His wife, Khadijah, was fifteen years older than him. She remained the only wife of the prophet for the next twenty-five years, until she died (may Allah be pleased with her). Only after her death did the prophet marry other women. Now, it is obvious that if the prophet was after physical pleasure he did not have to wait until he was more than fifty years old to start marrying more wives. He lived in a society in which it was quite acceptable to have many wives. But the prophet remained devoted to his only wife for twenty-five years. When she died she was sixty-five years old.

      His later marriages were for various reasons. Some marriages were with the view to help the women whose husbands had been killed while they were defending their faith. Others were with a view to cement relationships with devoted followers like Abu Bakr, may Allah be pleased with him. Yet others were to build bridges with various tribes who were otherwise at war with the Muslims. When the prophet became their relative through marriage, their hostilities calmed down, and much bloodshed was averted.

      Recent non-Muslim writers who had the opportunity to study the life of the prophet first-hand reached a similar conclusion about his plural marriages. John L. Esposito, Professor of Religion and Director of the Center for International Studies at the College of the Holy Cross, says that most of these marriages had "political and social motives" (Islam: The Straight Path, Oxford University Press, 1988, p. 19). This he explained as follows:
      As was customary for Arab chiefs, many were political marriages to cement alliances. Others were marriages to the widows of his companions who had fallen in combat and were in need of protection (John L. Esposito, Islam: The Straight Path, pp.19-20).
      Esposito reminds us of the following historical fact:
      Though less common, polygyny was also permitted in biblical and even in post-biblical Judaism. From Abraham, David, and Solomon down to the reformation period, polygyny was practiced (p.19).

      Another non-Muslim Caesar F. Farah writes as follows:
      In the prime of his youth and adult years Muhammad remained thoroughly devoted to Khadijah and would have none other for consort. This was an age that looked upon plural marriages with favor and in a society that in pre-biblical and post-biblical days considered polygamy an essential feature of social existence. David had six wives and numerous concubines (2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3) and Solomon was said to have had as many as 700 wives and 300 concubines (1 Kings 11:3). Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines (2 Chronicles 11:2 1). The New Testament contains no specific injunction against plural marriages. It was commonplace for the nobility among the Christians and Jews to contract plural marriages. Luther spoke of it with toleration (Caesar E. Farah, Islam: Beliefs and Observances, 4th edition, Barron's, U.S. 1987, p. 69).
      Caesar Farah then concluded that Muhammad's plural marriages were due "partly to political reasons and partly to his concern for the wives of his companions who had fallen in battle defending the nascent Islamic community" (p.69).

      When people hear that the prophet had many wives they conclude without much thought that the prophet was a sensuous man. However, a quick historical review of his marriages, proves otherwise. May Allah shower peace and blessings upon His noble messenger.

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Azuquita Quita
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2004
        Dear Muslim friends:

        I would like to thank you for the informative and educational emails you send often about the Islamic religion and its history. Your emails are not "pushy" or necessarily bias towards your religion.  In fact, the information you send is interesting, educational and very refreshing considering all the bad and negative publicity out there about muslims and Islam since 911. I am not muslim; however, I respect the Quran and the Islamic culture as I do respect people in general as a way of life.

        In essence, for someone like me, of Spanish-American family, Catholic and not muslim, reading your emails has become very interesting. Can you please answer some questions...
        1) Why is Prophet Mohammed more mentioned and praised  by Islamic people than Jesus? I do believe Jesus was a prophet and not God himself, but I am curious to know why the mentioning of Prophet Mohammed all the time when Jesus did wonderful things as well.
        2) With Islam being so "peace-oriented", why can Muslim husbands hit their wives, according to the Holy Quran?
        3) What actions are Muslims taking to take the "bad rap" or bad publicity from their religion?

        Thankful for your future answers. With great respect,

        L. Montano
        Miami, Florida, USA

        soft wind <soft_wind14@...> wrote:
[...]

        "If Allah is your protector,none can overcome you,and if He forsakes you, then who can help you? Trust Allah and have faith in His sovereign power"[Qur'an, Al-Imran, Surah 3:160]

        "Faint not nor grieve for you will overcome them if you are(indeed) believers."[surah Aal -e-imraan-3,verse 139]

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Farhad Zhowandai
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12, 2004
          1) Why is Prophet Mohammed more mentioned and praised
          by Islamic people than Jesus? I do believe Jesus was a
          prophet and not God himself, but I am curious to know
          why the mentioning of Prophet Mohammed all the time
          when Jesus did wonderful things as well.

          We believe that Jesus was a great man and a great
          prophet. We take nothing away from that, the reason we
          mention and praise Mohammed more is because he is the
          last messenger and brought the final and most
          important messege to us. Which is Islam. I cannot give
          a better explanation, but I can say that in our # 1
          kalima which states "there is only one God and
          Mohammed is the messeneger" we preserve that mohammed,
          being has important as he is to our religion, can not
          be in any way compared to allah.

          --Sorry for not having a better explanaiton here

          2) With Islam being so "peace-oriented", why can
          Muslim husbands hit their wives, according to the Holy
          Quran?

          Actually in the Quran it mentions many times and very
          specifically that allowing any kind of anger entering
          you mind is faulty. It says that one should solve all
          his/her problems in a peaceful way. Keeping thy voice
          donw and explaining and working things out. Women and
          men are stated as equal in our holy book the Quran,
          but I must say that women are protected more. Anger is
          looked down upon and the part where we hear that
          hitting is ok, that mainly comes from cultural
          aspects.

          3) What actions are Muslims taking to take the "bad
          rap" or bad publicity from their religion?

          Tell you the truth, I'm becoming more disappointed in
          the muslim community. I say this because I see
          weakness within it. I see individuals that love Islam
          and a live a life full of love and commetment to this
          religion, yet when it comes to defending their
          religons, they don't know how to handle it. Some I see
          attacking other religions and other people's ways of
          life just to take blame away from negative thigns that
          has ahppened in the name of Islam. Instead of
          educating people about the real Islam, they blame
          others on faults of their religions. One cannot fix a
          problem with the problem. Just as we can't get rid of
          terrorism by killing more. there has to be another
          solution. Just yesterday I heard a muslim group made a
          public apolziy on behalf of te muslim community for
          the 9/11 inceidents. Stating, that they will apolzize
          since Islamic leaders have failed to do so. But the
          truth is that islam was not responsible for those
          attacks, a certain group or individuals were who had
          nothing but hatred and pain in their hearts. They
          claimed they were doing it in the name of Islam, but
          in truthfulness it is not the case. So saying sorry,
          in my opinion, was nothing good at all. Because it
          only aids in connecting Islam with terrorism.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • bakka1makka
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 13, 2004
            ASSALAAMUALAIKUM WA RAHMATUALLAHI WA BARAKAYTAHU,

            ASSALAAMUALAIKUM WA RAHMATUALLAHI WA BARAKATAHU,

            1-ANSWER :
            2:285 The Apostle believeth in what hath been revealed to him from
            his Lord as do the men of faith. Each one (of them) believeth in
            Allah His angels His books and His Apostles "We make no distinction
            (they say) between one and another of His Apostles." And they
            say: "We hear and we obey; (We seek) Thy forgiveness Our Lord and to
            Thee is the end of all journeys.

            THUS WE MAKE NO DISTINCTION.
            57:7 Believe in Allah and His Apostle and spend (in charity) out
            of the (substance) whereof He has made you heirs. For those of you
            who believe and spend (in charity) for them is a great Reward.
            47:2 But those who believe and work deeds of righteousness and
            believe in the (Revelation) sent down to Muhammad-for it is the Truth
            from their Lord He will remove from them their ills and improve their
            condition.

            MUHAMMAD BROUGHT THE LAST MESSAGE ,THE QURAN, WHICH IS Y WE PRAISE
            HIM FOR HIS OBEDIENCE,AND ALLAH GAVE THE BOOK THROUGH HIM,THAT IS Y
            BELIEVING HIM AND MENTIONING HIM IS PART OF ISLAM.
            33:56 Allah and His angels send blessings on the Prophet: O ye that
            believe! send ye blessings on him and salute him with all respect.

            2-ANSWER

            4:34 Men are the protectors and maintainers of women because Allah
            has given the one more (strength) than the other and because they
            support them from their means. Therefore the righteous women are
            devoutly obedient and guard in (the husband's) absence what Allah
            would have them guard. As to those women on whose part ye fear
            disloyalty and ill-conduct admonish them (first) (next) refuse to
            share their beds (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return
            to obedience seek not against them means (of annoyance): for Allah is
            Most High Great (above you all).
            THEY'RE PROTECTORS AS THEY HAVE STRENGTH,THEY'RE MAINTAINERS AS
            THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO SPEND,THATS THEIR RESPONSIBILITY,...........
            BEAT THEM LIGHTLY .......PERHAPS A PAT, FOR THEY CANNOT SURPASS THE
            THE DIVIDING LINE WHICH IS SOLELY PROTECTION,THAY CAN BEAT AT THE
            SAME TIME THEY HAVE TO BE THE PROTECTORS.NOW,THIS IS A VERY DIFFICULT
            DECISION TO MAKE FOR A MAN,EITHER TO OBEY ALLAH OR OBEY SATAN.

            4:19 O ye who believe! ye are forbidden to inherit women against
            their will. Nor should ye treat them with harshness that ye may take
            away part of the dower ye have given them except where they have been
            guilty of open lewdness; on the contrary live with them on a footing
            of kindness and equity. If ye take a dislike to them it may be that
            ye dislike a thing and Allah brings about through it a great deal of
            good.

            3-ANSWER-

            I THINK MUSLIMS ARE PREPARING FOR JIHAD-THE INNER STRUGGLE AND THE
            OUTER STRUGGLE,BECAUSE WE NEED A DECENT BACKGROUD TO EXPRESS
            FREELY,PRACTICALLY, OUR RELIGION IN THE EXACT WAY ALLAH GAVE US.