The Qur’an enjoins respect and good opinion for the preceding generations

  • peaceful heart
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2004

      The Qur�an enjoins respect and good opinion for the preceding generations

      The holy generation succeeding the Companions followed in the
      footsteps of the Companions and showed them due respect. They
      cherished no rancour and enmity against the believers and wished
      everyone well. In the words of the Qur'an,

      As for those who came after them, they say: `Our Lord, forgive us
      and our brothers, who preceded us in belief, and put not into our
      hearts any rancour towards those who believe. Our Lord, surely You
      are the All-Gentle, the All-Compassionate.' (al-Hashr, 59.10)

      As described in the surah al-Tawba (9. 100), this blessed generation
      followed the Companions in good-doing, the Arabic original of which
      is ihsan. In addition to its meaning explained above, that is,
      respect, being well-wishing and altruistic, it also means as in the
      hadith: Good-doing (ihsan) is that you worship God as if you were
      seeing Him; if, however, you do not actually see Him, surely He sees
      you. This generation came at a time when Jewish conspiracies and
      hypocrisy caused great dissentions among the Muslims. At that
      critical juncture, they protected Islam, defended it, and practised
      it in deep consciousness and devotion. They became the referents of
      the Qur'anic verse:

      Our Lord, in You we trust; to You we turn; to You is the homecoming.
      (al-Mumtahina, 60.4)

      Among them were those who performed every night hundreds of rak`a
      (cycles) of prayer, who would recite the whole of the Qur'an every
      two or three days, who always did their obligatory prayers in
      congregation in a mosque, who, like Masruq, always slept in sajda
      (prostration) in front of the Ka`ba, and who did not laugh loudly
      during their whole lives.

       THE SHORTEST DISTANCE BETWEEN A PROBLEM AND A SOLUTION IS THE DISTANCE BETWEEN YOU HEAD AND YOUR KNEES.

       THOSE WHO KNEEL TO ALLAH CAN STAND TO ANY THING.

      Help STOP spam with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE*