POETRY - Islam4all Members' Posts

  • Islam4all YahooGroup
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2006

      From: Showkat Ali <showkot_ali@...>
      Date: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:01 am
      Subject: Caught in the middle

      Caught in the middle

      I'm lost and confused
      Don't know what to do
      Who to obey
      Who to follow

      My mind is swinging like a pendulum
      And playing tricks on me
      Sometimes I pray
      Sometimes I chase women
      Sometimes I do neither
      Just hide away in my room and vegetate

      At times halal and haram seem so clear
      And I have nothing but fear for my creator
      Other times the munkar seems appealing
      And I mix with women whose clothes are revealing

      I got friends
      Some religious
      Mostly jahil and following the western culture
      When I'm in good company
      I feel happy and content mentally
      When I'm with my non-practicing mates
      I act like they do
      Like an animal
      Satisfying my instincts and desires
      With no concern for the hell fire

      It feels nice
      Escaping life with its many problems
      The beat is pumping
      Lights are flashing
      Smoke fills the air
      As I dance with a complete stranger

      In the morning
      I feel bad
      And swear never again
      But when they call
      To invite me to another party
      I jump to their tune
      Like a slave
      Who needs his fix
      Of free-mixing

      I pray every day
      Without compromise
      Make dua for Allah to correct me
      But it hasn't happened yet
      So I continue
      Swinging back and forth
      Practicing
      Non-practicing
      My only fear is
      I hope I don't die committing sin

      InshAllah one day
      I will break out of this cycle
      Of following the crowd and being a sheep
      Plant my feet firmly
      On an Islamic foundation
      And stop being a feather in the wind

      Author: Showkotali@...

      ----------------------------------

      From: Shabana Jaffar <mrsjaffar2002@...>
      Date: Fri Dec 1, 2006 7:03 pm
      Subject: Colors of Islam

      Colors of Islam

      Out on the porch, the girls did jump
      Out on the street, the boys did run
      Out on the field, the children laughed away
      But where, oh where, were we to stay?

      In the meadows, the larks did sing
      In the prairie, the coyotes did howl
      In the forest, the beasts did lurk
      But where, oh where, were we to stay?

      Our families turned their faces
      Our neighbors turned their noses up high
      Our friends just looked us in the eye
      But there was the house

      With its chimney filled with soot,
      Its roof crying tears of rain,
      Its floors creaking with anger,
      Our beautiful house

      It gave us a place to pray,
      A place to learn,
      A place to educate,
      A place to submit ourselves to our Glorified Lord, Allah (swt)

      It was surrounded by angels,
      Love, and peace
      And the word of God

      So let it be told,
      That we were the outcasts,
      For we accepted what was the truth
      Islam

      But we were only strangers to those who were blind sighted by ignorance
      Who were subservient to society
      Who wanted to blend in with the rest of the clouds in the sky

      We were the rainbow that flourished
      That shone brightly and vividly against the cold, pale, blue sky
      We were hews that everyone envied
      The ones that were so close, but yet so far

      But one day, those billows clouded over our rainbow
      They stole our house
      Our books
      Our lives
      But what stayed with us was our Iman
      Our faith

      So no matter how many clouds overshadow our beautiful rainbow
      The colors of Islam will always fly high

      From: Showkat Ali <showkot_ali@...>
      Date: Thu Dec 7, 2006 3:58 am
      Subject: Christmas the dilemma for the Muslim poem

      Salaams All

      Please forward, post and circulate as widely as possible, jzk in advance.

      Christmas is here
      Tis the season to be jolly
      And happy
      Peace and good will to all men and women
      It's finally here
      But for Muslims it holds many fears
      Dilemmas
      And tears

      How to reject Christmas cards without being rude
      Whether to send any in return
      To reciprocate greetings
      Or just smile and nod and appear non-committal

      Christmas party is the highlight of the year
      All dressed up and equal
      Mistletoe and wine
      Women competing to kiss u
      Coz u have managed to resist their charms thus far
      And they know that u aint queer

      Do u say no blatantly?
      Or choose diplomacy
      Accept, but not turn up
      Due to a family tragedy

      The choices are simple
      Either u fit in
      By compromising your iman
      Or be the odd one out
      By holding onto Islam

      Get called names
      Killjoy and fanatic
      Shamed and marginalised
      Subject of gossip, backbiting and slander
      Promotion chances destroyed
      Labelled a loner
      Your career is a goner

      Other Muslims quoted as examples
      Mo who prays 5 times a day is coming
      With his girl friend
      So is Aysh who wears the hijab with her business suit
      And plucked eyebrows and make up
      They're religious, British and Muslim
      Both stand for the customery minutes silence
      on 7/7 and 9/11
      while u mysteriously disapear to the loo

      Why do u have to be an extremist?
      They participate
      Why don't u?

      You follow Islam completely
      No compromise
      U know to participate
      In the festive season
      Is blasphemy
      And treason against Allah
      Who never had a son

      U are convinced of Islam intellectually
      And they are scared to debate
      U refuted their arguments about evolution
      And showed it to be a fallacy
      But they persist
      And insist
      That they are right
      As they take flight
      Talking about u and sending emails
      But they fail
      To prove how the universe came into existence

      U know that honesty and truth is the best policy
      Instead of lying
      And playing with words
      So u tell them straight
      Looking them in the eye
      I am a Muslim
      We do not celebrate the festivals of other religions

      And u feel good knowing
      That u have passed a big test
      No regrets
      And if Allah is pleased with u
      Nothing else matters

      Author: Showkotali@...

      ------------------------------

      From: Sherwani Mustafa <sherwanimk@...>
      Date: Thu Dec 7, 2006 9:52 pm
      Subject: Oh The Great Americans ! : Stir Up Your Conscience ! : Dr. M.K. Sherwani

      December,8,2006

        OH THE GREAT AMERICANS!: STIR UP YOUR CONSCIENCE!

      The history was busy to write your name,
      Amongst  the nations with the highest fame.
      The world was proud of your grace,
      Virtue and love were the signs of your face.

      From your soil, streams of justice used to flow,
      To the vices and  wrongs , you were a lethal blow.
      You used to inspire   a trust in all,
        You drew no line between   big and small.

      The cascade of wisdom from your mind,
      Quenched the intellectual thirst of every kind.
      To the benighted humanity, you sowed  new seed,
      The compassion of Jesus (p.b.u.h.) was your  creed.

      WHY SUDDENLY, FOR YOU, THIS TURN OF FATE,?
      HOW  YOU EMERGED AS A SYMBOL OF HATE. ?

      Stir up your conscience,
      Look   ahead with prescience.
      Strain your nerves to see the right,
      With  a sense of justice, not with might.
      Your eyes will perceive a demeaning course,
      That made you believe in arms and force.

      DELVE DEEP INTO YOUR SOUL,
      TO FIND OUT YOUR FILTHY ROLE.

      Each part of the globe was within your reach,
      With the  Bible in hand; its lesson to preach.
      You threw it away with a ruthless shake,
      Your hands now possess weapons , for power sake.

      THE  WORLD  IS  NOW  STANDING AGHAST,
      WHY THIS ALL HAS HAPPENED SO FAST.

      We know, only a few in your midst,
      Spoiled your serenity with a grisly twist;
      Sullied your image as a graceful race,
      And eclipsed the sedateness of your pace.

      Rise up ! purge your glory,
      Of the present grim story;
        Restore  your  lost dignity,
      With penitential `sad' and `sorry'.

      Listen to the  shrieks and wails,
      See the destruction and travails;
      Your sons have caused in others' land,
      With the dead falling  like heaps of sand.

      When the advent of  Christ (p.b.u.h.)  is too close,
      Why you became so hideous, and why you chose;
      To smear your face  with innocent blood,
      To engulf  the humanity with your raging flood.

      Now is the time for you to repent,
      For what you have done, and what you spent;
      To   bring about fright and fear all around,

      LET ONCE AGAIN THE GLOBAL AMBIENCE REVERBERATE,
      NOT WITH THREATS AND PIERCING CANNONADE,
      BUT WITH YOUR SOOTHING SERMONS, AND REMORSEFUL SOUND.

      Dr. Mustafa Kamal Sherwani,
                                LL.M.(Alig.)
                                LL.D.(Lucknow)

      Former President, All India Muslim Forum
      3, Sherwani Nagar, Sitapur Road, Lucknow- India
      Email: sherwanimk@...
      Phones: +91- 9919777909
      +91-522-3230795