It is Recommended To Face the Qiblah When Supplicating

  • Shaik Sadek-Premier
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2005
      It is Recommended To Face the Qiblah When Supplicating

      It is Recommended To Face the Qiblah When Supplicating

      The Ka’bah is the most honorable place to turn towards on the entire earth. Worshippers face its direction when they pray; some of them also turn towards it when they supplicate, a practice that is taken from the Sunnah of the Messenger of Allah (saas) for on some occasions, he (saas) supplicated, facing the Ka’bah. Here are tow examples: Ibn Mas’ood (ra) said, “The Prophet (saas) faced the Ka’bah and supplicated against a group of people from the Quraish: Shaiban Ibn Rabee’ah, ‘Utbah Ibn Rabee’ah, Al-Waleed Ibn ‘Utbah, and Abu Jahl Ibn Hishaam. I make Allah bear witness that I saw them struck down; the sun had changed them (perhaps meaning that their bodies already began to decompose), and it was a hot day.’’1

      And in the second example, the Prophet (saas) faced the Ka’bah when he (saas) supplicated on the day of Badr. ‘Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab (ra) said, “When the day of Badr came to pass, the Messenger of Allah (saas) looked at the disbelievers, who were 1000 in number, while his companions were 319 men. The Prophet of Allah (saas) then faced the Qiblah (towards the Ka’bah), Extended his hands, and then began to call out to his Lord : O Allah, carry out for me that which You Promised me…2

        1)      Related by Bukhaare (3960), Muslim (1794), An-Nassaaee (307), and Ahmad (3714). And the above-mentioned wording is from Bukhaaree’s narration of the Hadeeth

        2)      Related by Muslim (1763) Ahmad (208), and At-Tirmidhee