8546Firm in Faith When Faced with Fear?

  • Adam Mohomed Sait
    Jun 11, 2014
      Firm in Faith When Faced with Fear?

      Assalam alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu all my friends

      I will be out of town for a few days, and there will be no mails till the middle of next week, In Sha Allah.

      Wassalam. Adam.

      As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allah and fears Him, And believes in Al-Husna.
              We will make smooth for him the path of ease (goodness).
      But he who is greedy miser and thinks himself self-sufficient. And belies Al-Husna
      We will make smooth for him the path for evil.
      {Holy Qur’an Surat: 92 Al-Lail Verses#05-to-10}

      Narrated Mu'adh bin Jabal (Radi Allahu anhu):
      The Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) said to him: "May I show you the gates of goodness? (They are):

      *  Fasting is a screen from Hell.
      *  As-Sadaqah (deeds of charity in Allah's Cause) extinguishes the sins, as the water extinguishes fire.
      *  Standing in Salat by a person during the middle (or the last third) part of a night."

      The Prophet (SalAllahu alaihi wasallam) recited:
      "Their sides forsake their beds, to invoke their Lord in fear and hope, and they spend (in charity in Allah's Cause) out of what We have bestowed on them."
      (Holy Qur’an Surat: 32 As-Sajda Verse#16)

      Abu Dawud and At-Tirmidhi
      As taken from Riyad-us-Saliheen

      Zaid bin Khalid Al-Juhani (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "He who provides a fasting person something with which to break his fast, will earn the same reward as the one who was observing the fast, without diminishing in any way the reward of the latter."[At-Tirmidhi].
      231/1265 - Riyad Us-Saliheen (Gardens of the Righteous)

      Firm in Faith When Faced with Fear?

      (A Husband’s Salat and a Wife’s Dua)

      By Sadaf Farooqi
      Freelance Writer- Pakistan

      Just as Prophet Ibrahim had feared, his wife was taken away from him to the ruler. His worst fear had come true!

      The Quran is generously peppered throughout its noble length with praiseworthy mention of Prophet Ibrahim (peace be upon him) and the many notable righteous actions that he performed during his lifetime.

      No doubt, his boldness in defending monotheism and in remaining steadfast upon the Deen against glaring odds yielded long-lasting positive results, not the least of which is a righteous lineage that included many Prophets in his succeeding generations, who continued to benefit mankind long after he was gone.

      Allah has called Prophet Ibrahim “a nation” (ummah) in the Quran, because what he achieved alone usually takes a whole nation of righteous people to achieve.

      Prophet Ibrahim enjoyed a very loving and intimate relationship with his wife Sarah, upon whom Allah sent special salutations when she expressed incredulity and amazement at Allah’s decree of the forthcoming birth of a pious son for her, in her and her husband’s old age.

                 More Articles by the Author

      Prophet Muhammad: Unique Husband

      Shura: Teaching Children Consultation

      Honor In-Laws to Make Marriage Work

      Do Muslim Women Need Independence?

      Marry a Born-Muslim or Revert?

      Husband & Wife in a Dangerous Land

      While perusing a narration in Sahih Muslim that has been reported on the authority of Abu Hurairah, I came across a very interesting and enlightening incident that occurred in the life of Prophet Ibrahim and his wife Sarah.

      It seems evident to the reader, after going through the whole incident in thehadith, that the married couple were both young when it happened, because Sarah has been called “ahsan al-nas” in it i.e. the ‘most beautiful of people’.

      Prophet Ibrahim and his wife Sarah came to a land that had no Muslims in it, which was ruled by a tyrannical king.

      Prophet Ibrahim clearly felt a sense of danger, because his wife was very beautiful, and anything could happen to her if the corrupt men around them came to know about the two young Muslim newcomers in their land. He therefore gave her some advice about what to do in case any men enquired about who she was.

      The fact that Prophet Ibrahim warned Sarah of the danger she was in, clearly goes to show that when Muslims are in a minority in a land that is dominated by disbelief, and its rulers are known to be vile oppressors, there is a clear and present danger to Muslims in that land, of being harmed physically or in their properties by the non-believing rulers.

      In such extreme cases, it is wise to show discretion when faced with open persecution and threats to personal safety.

      Imagine one of your worst fears suddenly coming true, and try to analyze how you’d react

      Nevertheless, when the men of the land laid eyes upon Sarah, they immediately reported her presence to their ruler, claiming that there was a beautiful woman in their land whom only someone exalted in power like him deserved to have.

      The king promptly ordered them to bring her to him, and they did.

      Turning to Allah in Prayer

      Just as Prophet Ibrahim had feared, his wife was taken away from him to the ruler. His worst fear had come true!

      What he did next is perhaps the most poignant lesson to be derived from this whole narration. He immediately started to pray; his first, knee-jerk reaction to the sudden calamity that had struck him, is enough of a lesson for us, one which we should try to emulate and incorporate in our own practical lives.

      Try to bring to mind any of your worst fears. Almost all of us fear losing our loved ones to death or harm. We fear being stripped of our worldly blessings, luxuries, and comforts.

      We fear being humiliated and persecuted, especially because of our religious faith, and/or our ethnic identity. We fear falling ill, and we fear losing any of our faculties, strengths, abilities, skills and talents. Finally, we fear encountering failure, sorrow and poverty in our lives.

      Imagine one of your worst fears suddenly coming true, and try to analyze how you’d react, especially during the first stroke of the calamity?

      Will you run around, wailing and screaming?

      Will you call out for help? If so, to whom?

      Most of us would do anything besides calmly go perform ablution (if needed), and then stand to pray

      And if no one answers the phone while you frantically dial number after number, what do you think you will be saying, thinking, and doing during those heavy, grief-stricken moments that follow immediately after the calamity has struck, in which seconds pass like minutes, and minutes like hours?

      Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

      “Patience is at the first stroke of the calamity.” (Al-Bukhari, 1302)

      Most of us would do anything besides calmly go perform ablution (if needed), and then stand to pray.

      We need to reflect upon ourselves in light of this hadith. We claim to believe that Allah is the sole source and provider of every kind of benefit and harm. We claim to believe that no one can bring or avert any harm or loss upon us except by Allah’s will and permission.

      We also believe that nothing can change or avert the decree of Allah except dua’. Yet, when calamity befalls us, and our faith is put to the test, how many of us pass this test, especially in those critical moments or hours just after the news hits us?

      Our first reaction to any sudden loss or harm that befalls us or our loved ones - what we do, say, and how we act - clearly denotes the level and strength of our faith and belief in Allah.

      Therefore, turning to Allah via one of the best forms of devout worship, i.e. prayer, was the spontaneous reaction of Prophet Ibrahim to the kidnapping of his wife.

      A Righteous Woman’s Dua’

      Why would a would-be rapist turn to his impending victim and ask the latter to pray...

      When Sarah was brought to the king, and he set eyes on her, he couldn’t help but extend his hand towards her, and it’s anybody’s guess with what intentions he must have done that.

      However, by Allah’s will, his hand was gripped as if by an invisible force, i.e. it got paralyzed and he couldn’t move it, much less touch Sarah with it.

      What happens next is perhaps the second most significant lesson to be derived from this whole narration: he asked Sarah to pray to Allah to remove the grip from his hand and set it free.

      Why would a would-be rapist turn to his impending victim and ask the latter to pray to Allah on their behalf, to remove their distress? Many underlying factors are at play here:

      For one, people who claim that they do not believe in any god do not openly call out to Allah in front of others during dire and pressing situations.

      However, and I am saying this from personal experience, what they do as an alternative, is contact or approach righteous or outwardly religious people, requesting them to pray to Allah to remove the harm that is afflicting them.

      Secondly, when those who believe in God but who also commit open and major sins as a lifestyle, are afflicted with harm, especially during an intentional act of transgression or oppression against another human being, they tend to feel a barrier between themselves and Allah that they believe prevents their duas from being heard or answered by Him.

      This distance or “barrier” in actuality is borne out of the innate guilt that a transgressor or oppressor feels as a result of consistently committing sins and disobeying Allah’s laws and commands over time.

      Because of this, such a person immediately asks whoever near them is righteous or religious, to make dua’ to Allah on their behalf, in order to remove the harm that is afflicting them.

      This is exactly what the king did when his hand got paralyzed as he approached Sarah with lust. He asked her twice to pray to Allah to release his hand, promising her each time that if her dua’ was answered, he wouldn’t harm her. Each time, after his hand got released, he went back on his word and tried to touch her again.

      The third time, however, his hand was gripped much more severely than the last two times. And this time he meant it when he said he’d let her go if she’d pray for its release.

      As soon as Sarah’s third dua’ was answered, he asked his men to let her go free. In fact, he also gifted her a slave-girl (Hajar), exclaiming, “You have brought to me the devil, and you have not brought to me a human being, so turn her out from my land!”

      No doubt he said this because of the harm that he had suffered because of her!

      Relief and Reward

      Truly, unswerving faith in Allah and turning to Him in worship facilitates the solution to every calamity and problem.

      Prophet Ibrahim’s devout prayer andSarah’s duas facilitated her release, unharmed, from the tyrannical ruler who had held absolute authority over them both.

      It is also enlightening to know that that powerful king, who undoubtedly had armies of strong men and a vast dominion under his rule, resorted to asking a physically weaker young Muslim woman to pray for the removal of the physical torture that Allah had inflicted upon him as a result of his evil intent of violating her.

      Truly this goes to show that the worth of the duas made by a righteous woman in favor of someone who is afflicted, is so priceless that it cannot be weighed in gold!

      And last but not least, Prophet Ibrahim and Sarah received a precious worldly blessing after the whole ordeal was over: Hajar, who went on to give birth to our father, Prophet Ismael.

      http://www.onislam.net/english/reading-islam/understanding-islam/belief/messengers/471443-firm-in-faith-when-faced-with-fear.html

      Did Muslims Fight to Convert People?

      Question and answer details
      Name of Questioner: