7687Does the shaitan (satan) know what crosses our mind

  • Shahid Khan
    Nov 10, 2013

      The call of Ibrahim that is still reverberating

      Q. Does the shaitan (satan) know what crosses our minds, which no one knows except Allah, and thus whisper to us what is in accordance with our thoughts?

      A. Evidence suggests that the shaitan is close to man. Safiyyah bint Huyayy (may Allah be pleased with her) narrated that the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “The shaitan flows through man like blood.” (Al-Bukhari, 3281; and Muslim, 2175)

      Shaikh Al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allah have mercy on him) said: “They smell a good smell or a bad smell (meaning the angels, who smell a good smell when a person is thinking of a good deed). But the devils do not need that (smell) in order to know; rather they even know what is in the heart of the son of Adam, and they see and hear what he says to himself. Moreover, the devil has full control over man’s heart. When man remembers Allah, the satan withdraws, and when he neglects to remember Him, he whispers to him. He knows whether he is remembering Allah or is neglecting in remembering Him, and he knows the whims and desires of his heart and makes them appear attractive to him.

      The closeness of the angels and the shaitan to the heart of the son of Adam is something that is confirmed in many reports, whether the person is a believer or a disbeliever.” (Majmoo Al-Fataawa, 5:508)

      Shaitan is aware of what a person is thinking to himself, and he knows his inclinations and his whims and desires, both good and bad, so he whispers to him accordingly.

      Shaikh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy upon him) was asked: "If someone intends to do something good, does the shaitan come to know and try to divert him from it?" He replied: “Every person has a devil and an angel with him, as the Prophet (peace be upon him) said: ‘There is no one who does not have a companion from among the jinn and a companion from among the angels.’ They asked: ‘Even you, O Messenger of Allah?’ He said: ‘Even me, but Allah helped me with him and he became Muslim (that is: 'and I am safe from him'), so he only enjoins me to do that which is good.’

      And he (peace be upon him) told us that the shaitan dictates evils to man and calls him to evil, and he has some control over a person’s heart. And he can see, by Allah's will, what a person wants and intends to do of both good and bad deeds. The angel also has some control over his heart that makes him inclined toward good and calls him to good.

      This control is something that Allah has enabled them to have, i.e., He has given some power to the companions from among the jinn and from among the angels; even the Prophet (peace be upon him) had a shaitan with him who was the companion from among the jinn as mentioned in the Hadith quoted above.

      The point here is that every person has with him a companion from among the angels and a companion from among the devils. The believer suppresses his shaitan by obeying Allah and adhering to His religion; and he humiliates his shaitan until he becomes weak and is unable to prevent the believer from doing good or to make him fall into evil except that which Allah wills. But the sinner, through his sins and bad deeds helps his shaitan until he becomes strong enough to help him to follow falsehood and he encourages him to do so and he becomes strong enough to keep him from doing good.

      "The believer has to fear Allah and strive to resist his shaitan by obeying Allah and His Messenger, and seeking refuge with Allah from the shaitan. And he should be keen to support his angel to obey Allah and His Messenger and to follow the commands of Allah." (Fataawa Al-Shaikh Ibn Baaz, 9/369)

      • Courtesy: qsep.com

        Permission is granted to circulate among private individuals and groups, to post on Internet sites and to publish in not-for-profit publications.in fulltext and subject title