About the book itself

  • acedancer131
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4 9:50 AM
      I have just finished reading Ishmael this past week and found myself
      really moved. I plan to start the Story of B soon; however, before I do
      I want to be sure that I understand everything from the first book
      completely. At the end of the book I was heart broken to find Ishmael
      dead. I know that Quinn has a reason for everything that he wrote. I
      feel he did this as a way to push the student into carrying forth
      Ishmael's message, but I'd like to know what you think. I'd appreciate
      it if you wouldn't use any information from the other books, but it
      is okay if you do. Thanks a lot. [:)]

    • Scott Carter
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4 11:32 AM
        I think you may find that this question is eventually answered to your
        satisfaction with the next two books. I don't mean to poopoo the
        question itself, but this may be one that simply requires that you "wait
        and see", if you will. As it is, it would be quite impossible to
        expound on the reasons that Quinn may have had for this particular plot
        device without using information from the other two books.

        Glad you enjoyed Ish, and you'll love the next two.
        Cheers.
        Scott

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4 1:02 PM
          Well, I'm really glad Ishmael moved you. The more changed minds, the
          merrier.

          My personal experience was a bit different, I think, because I read
          Story of B first, then Ishmael and the rest of the Quinn collection.
          I became so taken with the ideas and the concepts that I cheerfully
          glossed over the details of the characters and the plots.

          Quinn's web site, Ishmael.org, has an extensive collection of
          questions and answers. The Q&A search page is at
          http://ishmael.org/interaction/qanda/qanda.cfm

          Unfortunately I'm not sure the Q&A search function works as well as it
          used to. I'm pretty sure Quinn answered your question directly, but
          I'm having trouble finding it now. I know what he said, but I'd
          rather let you read it in Quinn's own words, if possible.

          Perhaps someone else will have a more direct link to that answer.

          Cheers

          --
          etbnc
          http://home.nc.rr.com/sustain

          --- In ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "acedancer131"
          <acedancer131@...> wrote:

          > I have just finished reading Ishmael this past week and found myself
          > really moved. I plan to start the Story of B soon; however, before I do
          > I want to be sure that I understand everything from the first book
          > completely. At the end of the book I was heart broken to find Ishmael
          > dead. I know that Quinn has a reason for everything that he wrote. I
          > feel he did this as a way to push the student into carrying forth
          > Ishmael's message, but I'd like to know what you think. I'd appreciate
          > it if you wouldn't use any information from the other books, but it
          > is okay if you do. Thanks a lot. [:)]

        • Stephen Figgins
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 4 8:57 PM
            acedancer131 wrote:

            > I feel he did this as a way to push the student into carrying forth Ishmael's message, but I'd like to know what you think.
            That seems reasonable to me. I don't know exactly what Mr. Quinn had in
            mind when he wrote it, but it did seem that the student might never move
            on to teach himself if he had Ishmael around. How might you have ended
            the story with Ishmael alive? Can you think of a better conclusion?

            -Stephen
          • Bill Maxwell
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5 12:08 AM
              Evening!

              Though fairly new to the group, here's my two cents.

              It was vital that Ishmael die in the book to drive home several points.
              First, there is the urgency of the message itself: "With Gorilla Gone,
              will there be hope for Man?" Will mankind be able to save itself
              without those rare bits of wisdom provided by Ishmael? The hope is, by
              the end of the book, that the answer is a resounding 'yes'. This is, to
              my mind, reflected by how many minds in the real world the book has
              altered, as seen by the proliferation of sites and discussion groups
              like these.

              The protagonist must also make the message personal. He must
              internalize and take it out into the world for it to be successful,
              otherwise it is simply a dialogue between one man and a talking
              gorilla. Ishmael needed a student with an earnest desire to save the
              world. His death, sad though it might be, gave that student a chance to
              graduate, to leave Ishmael and become the message. To put it in another
              (perhaps odd) context, how will you cope when the source of your message
              dies? When Quinn doesn't write anything more or others shoot his ideas
              down? What will you do when you are isolated from your teacher?

              That, in part, is what "Story of B" does -- shows one of 10,000 ways the
              story can be internalized. And "My Ishmael" reflects questions never
              fully answered in the first book and yet still doesn't answer them all.

              Best

              Bill Maxwell

              acedancer131 wrote:

              >I have just finished reading Ishmael this past week and found myself
              >really moved. I plan to start the Story of B soon; however, before I do
              >I want to be sure that I understand everything from the first book
              >completely. At the end of the book I was heart broken to find Ishmael
              >dead. I know that Quinn has a reason for everything that he wrote. I
              >feel he did this as a way to push the student into carrying forth
              >Ishmael's message, but I'd like to know what you think. I'd appreciate
              >it if you wouldn't use any information from the other books, but it
              >is okay if you do. Thanks a lot. [:)]

            • Veronica
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 7 8:49 AM
                I too was upset at Ishmaels passing, and found myself asking a lot of
                questions *of* myself. I was able to draw the conclusion that for me to
                *become* the message, I would not be able unless I was able to separate
                the message from the messenger. I devoured 5 of Quinn's books in 6
                weeks, and my head is still reeling!
                Sharing is fun
                Tigara