Re: First post, and a question....

  • etbyh
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 2 10:59 AM
      Hello, Ted, and welcome.

      Since I haven't seen any replies to your query so far, I thought I'd
      respond as best I can.

      Unfortunately your four-item list doesn't ring any bells for me, at
      least not as a Quinn quote. It's a fine philosophy, and to me it
      overlaps Quinn's, but I'm not sure he's stated it quite that way.
      Perhaps it comes from a related source?

      Also, have you searched or browsed Quinn's current web site,
      Ishmael.org, to jog your memory? I did a quick search of that site
      for the key word "radical", but didn't turn up anything similar to
      that quote. There's some good supplementary essays and such at his
      site, though, so if you haven't browsed it lately, it might be
      worthwhile to do so.

      Cheers,

      etbnc

      --- In ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Howard" <kitesfun@...>
      wrote:

      > I really like to run my life by one of Daniels quotes, but can't
      > remember which book it's from, or how it goes exactly. Can you help me?
      > Which book? which page? Something like this :
      >
      > "The 4 most radical things you can do today are:
      > 1. Grow your own food
      > 2. Reuse, repair, restore, recycle
      > 3. Buy secondhand where ever possible
      > 4 Go tribal, create a community support network"
      >
      > Regards
      > Ted Howard
      > Nelson
      > New Zealand

    • papillon
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2 12:18 PM
        the best possibility from my perspective would be
        "beyond civilization" which is the most direct in tone
        and would probably have specific advice such as you
        listed. but i don't have a copy of it to check.

        and welcome to the list. it's been quiet lately.

        poppy

        --- etbyh <etbyh@...> wrote:

        > Hello, Ted, and welcome.
        >
        > Since I haven't seen any replies to your query so
        > far, I thought I'd
        > respond as best I can.
        >
        > Unfortunately your four-item list doesn't ring any
        > bells for me, at
        > least not as a Quinn quote. It's a fine philosophy,
        > and to me it
        > overlaps Quinn's, but I'm not sure he's stated it
        > quite that way.
        > Perhaps it comes from a related source?
        >
        > Also, have you searched or browsed Quinn's current
        > web site,
        > Ishmael.org, to jog your memory? I did a quick
        > search of that site
        > for the key word "radical", but didn't turn up
        > anything similar to
        > that quote. There's some good supplementary essays
        > and such at his
        > site, though, so if you haven't browsed it lately,
        > it might be
        > worthwhile to do so.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > etbnc
        >

        > --- In ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Ted
        > Howard" <kitesfun@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I really like to run my life by one of Daniels
        > quotes, but can't
        > > remember which book it's from, or how it goes
        > exactly. Can you help me?
        > > Which book? which page? Something like this :
        > >
        > > "The 4 most radical things you can do today are:
        > > 1. Grow your own food
        > > 2. Reuse, repair, restore, recycle
        > > 3. Buy secondhand where ever possible
        > > 4 Go tribal, create a community support network"
        > >
        > > Regards
        > > Ted Howard
        > > Nelson
        > > New Zealand

        www.isadreamreal.net
        inflammatory stickers and free words & music

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Stephen Figgins
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 3 9:51 AM
          Ted Howard wrote:

          >I really like to run my life by one of Daniels quotes, but can't
          >remember which book it's from, or how it goes exactly. Can you help me?
          >Which book? which page? Something like this :
          >
          >"The 4 most radical things you can do today are:
          >1. Grow your own food
          >2. Reuse, repair, restore, recycle
          >3. Buy secondhand where ever possible
          >4 Go tribal, create a community support network"

          I don't believe he has put this list in any of his books. He didn't
          write about what tribal organization might mean until Beyond
          Civilization. I just went through that book to make sure I didn't just
          forget, but I could not find this list.

          I doubt Quinn would offer up a list like this. He usually pushes
          vision. Even in Beyond Civilization he didn't say "go tribal" he
          pointed out that historically tribal organization worked for people in a
          way hierarchy does not. He then wrote about how we could adopt this
          organizational method to help us move beyond our current situation, how
          we could employ it in service of our vision.

          If you want to re-invigorate your local group, I recommend developing a
          shared vision, a new collection of memes. You might want to check out
          the Fifth Discipline, a book that helped inspire Ishmael for some ideas
          on how to go about developing a shared vision. I also like The Fifth
          Discipline workbook. You could also start by pondering what vision
          those 4 radical things you like serve? Or what vision might you hold
          that would transform those radical things into normal everyday things
          you don't even think about?
        • Rainbow Flight
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 3 7:12 PM
            Gidday Martian...Stephen
            Thanks for that.
            It may have been in a speach or essay, but I'm feeling quite sure if was from DQ.....I'll keep searching back through my files, see if I can find the source.

            Regards
            Ted

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4 7:13 AM
              Rainbow Flight wrote:

              >Gidday Martian...Stephen
              >Thanks for that.
              >It may have been in a speach or essay, but I'm feeling quite sure if was from DQ.....I'll keep searching back through my files, see if I can find the source.

              Let us know if you do. I feel curious about the context of this quote.

              -Stephen
            • Issa
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 4 8:47 PM
                On 3/29/06, Ted Howard <kitesfun@...> wrote:

                > I really like to run my life by one of Daniels quotes, but can't
                > remember which book it's from, or how it goes exactly. Can you help me?
                > Which book? which page? Something like this :
                >
                > "The 4 most radical things you can do today are:
                > 1. Grow your own food
                > 2. Reuse, repair, restore, recycle
                > 3. Buy secondhand where ever possible
                > 4 Go tribal, create a community support network"

                This is driving me crazy! I feel like I've heard this before, too, but I
                can't come up with it. For some reason it seems like Tom might have said
                something like this on this list... but I have over 8000 emails saved, and
                gmail's google search is not helping me out! Don't forget to let us know if
                you find the source!

                Issa

              • tomandmolly2001
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 4 11:27 PM
                  Issa says: For some reason it seems like Tom might have said
                  something like this on this list...

                  Tom W says: Not me. I don't actually agree with those four points (and
                  I still have an affinity for "programs" ... ask me about sticks in the
                  river and beavers sometime. <g>)

                  The closest match I can come up with is:

                  "The watchwords for the New Tribal Revolution are: 1. Walk Away (from
                  "the Microsofts, the Exxons, the World Trade Organizations, the
                  Monsantos, the Medellin drug cartels"), 2. Go Tribal, and 3. Think
                  Incremental. When you say that "By moving toward tribalism, we
                  collectively withdraw support from those structures built by our
                  culture's current vision. And by withholding support, we allow the
                  destructive mythologies that have driven our culture for 10,000 years
                  to pass away," you display a rare willingness to "think incremental."

                  It's from a Quinn interview:
                  http://www.simpleliving.net/news/print-archives.asp?id=214

                  I think Ted's list of points appears to be an amalgam of the familiar
                  3 points of the sustainability mantra plus a tribal/community plug
                  tacked on. I betcha it's a commentary from some list somewhere ....
                  but hey, whadda EYE know? ;-)

                  tom warren
                  pleasant hill, or

                  --- In ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com, Issa <barefoot1342@...> wrote:

                  > On 3/29/06, Ted Howard <kitesfun@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I really like to run my life by one of Daniels quotes, but can't
                  > > remember which book it's from, or how it goes exactly. Can you
                  help me?
                  > > Which book? which page? Something like this :
                  > >
                  > > "The 4 most radical things you can do today are:
                  > > 1. Grow your own food
                  > > 2. Reuse, repair, restore, recycle
                  > > 3. Buy secondhand where ever possible
                  > > 4 Go tribal, create a community support network"
                  >

                  > This is driving me crazy! I feel like I've heard this before, too, but I
                  > can't come up with it. For some reason it seems like Tom might have said
                  > something like this on this list... but I have over 8000 emails
                  saved, and
                  > gmail's google search is not helping me out! Don't forget to let us
                  know if
                  > you find the source!
                  >
                  > Issa
                • Charu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 17 12:21 PM
                    "The 4 most radical things you can do today are:
                    > > > 1. Grow your own food
                    > > > 2. Reuse, repair, restore, recycle
                    > > > 3. Buy secondhand where ever possible
                    > > > 4 Go tribal, create a community support network

                    Okay, I think I know this one...
                    Reduce, reuse and recycle is an enviromentalist method. I'm not sure
                    where repair and restore comes from, although is it a fond wish for
                    those of low income, who own a home, that money should be directed
                    towards preservation, unfortunately HUD is all about new development.
                    If only...

                    Grow your own, I first heard in reference to marijuana... homegrown
                    and all that. Lately I have seen it alot in association with food co-
                    ops and farmer markets.

                    Buy second hand, again comes from the reuse portion of the recycling
                    program. I have recently seen it as a definition subscript on a
                    poster.

                    Go tribal.... well that is a tricky one. The first time I remember
                    seeing the term "tribal" not applied to Natives on reservations had
                    to do with a tattoo style. The cutting edge punks and trend setters
                    were looking up tribal markings in old National Geographics and
                    duplicating them. This was in the late 80's. Communal was the term
                    that applied to people who lived cooperatively, but it has it's own
                    negative conintations, what with commun-ism and the love fest hippy
                    version. Maybe tribalism as described in BC is coined by DQ?

                    [> "The watchwords for the New Tribal Revolution are: 1. Walk Away
                    (from
                    > "the Microsofts, the Exxons, the World Trade Organizations, the
                    > Monsantos, the Medellin drug cartels"), 2. Go Tribal, and 3. Think
                    > Incremental. When you say that "By moving toward tribalism, we
                    > collectively withdraw support from those structures built by our
                    > culture's current vision. And by withholding support, we allow the
                    > destructive mythologies that have driven our culture for 10,000
                    years
                    > to pass away," you display a rare willingness to "think
                    incremental."]

                    Isn't "walk away" much like the 60's "tune-in, turn on, and fade out?"

                    Charu