Re: [ishmael_discussion] Posting Ishmael on the web

  • Terry Shistar
    Message 1 of 65 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      I've been listening to this conversation, and it seems to me that you should be talking with Quinn about it.  He's all for getting the book out to as many people as possible in a way that doesn't jeopardize his making a living.  There are ways of doing this.  Amazon sells e-books.  There are libraries that provide access to e-books.  They all have their ways of ensuring that the author gets his fair share.  And whereas we might argue about whether we should pay for what SOME people do for a living, this group is all about supporting Quinn, isn't it?  He's locked in the prison as much as the rest of us are.

      BTW, I assume Lance was pulling our leg about that notice inside the front cover.

      Terry

      My goal is to provide access to people who do not have it now.  If I expand this, I could have 100
      copies locked away, and 100 people reading Ishmael off of my website.  I suggest it as a literal
      plan.  My only issue would be the technical knwo-how of supplying these people access to the book,
      and only these people.

      Jim

      --- etbnc <etbyh@...> wrote:
      > What's your
      goal with that, Jim?   Do you suggest it as a literal plan,

      or as a metaphor for some alternate plan?

      > Cheers,
      >
      > etbnc
      >
      > Jim Linder wrote:
      >
      > >Here is
      my thought:

      > >Can I legally send my copy to someone else
      (free)?  I think so!  If so, then if I scan my copy,
      > >lock
      my copy away in a drawer, and provide access to a single person at a time, then I have
      > done
      > >no harm (except to the postal service).
      > >
      > >Technically, it is probably copyright infringement.  But
      morally, or ethically, I feel it would
      > be
      > >OK because I could
      accomplish the same thing legally (although at much expense to me).

      > >Thoughts?
      > >
      > >Jim

      Access the ISHMAEL DISCUSSION website at:

      Where you can change subscription status, read messages there instead of through email, view bookmarks, chat with other members, etc.

      Owner & Moderator: Michael Dylan Davis - http://www.townofautumn.com
      Co-Moderator: Xavier Shirin - wcc@...

      Remember: YOU are B.
      ===========

    • eric woodson
      Message 65 of 65 , Mar 7, 2004

        amy,

        its not about screwing anyone, if daniel quinn was so so serious ask him what ted turner gave him when he won  the comp. that gave him the incentive to write and re write the books in the first place, now if daniel was a leaver he would have left his manuscripts for the whole world to read for free, where is the irony in this, if the books were truly produced to change the world....

        the books would have been free from the giddy up!

        eric

        >From: "arcarpenter2003"
        >To: ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [ishmael_discussion] Re: Posting Ishmael on the web
        >Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 06:08:58 -0000
        >
        >--- In ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com, "tomandmolly2001"
        > wrote:
        > > imnsho, you either have an ethical approach to your life and don't
        > > steal an author's control over his own intellectual property, or
        >you
        > > seize that control and do with it whatever you will or can get away
        > > with ...
        > >
        > > ... just like any Taker.
        > >

        >Just to clarify, the whole thread started with the complaint from
        >someone in Serbia that they could not get a copy of the book.  The
        >original idea was not to "get the book for free, who cares who we
        >screw," but to get the word out to those who were hungry for it and
        >couldn't get access to it.  It is a book that critiques all Taker
        >cultures, so it's pretty important that at some point, all cultures
        >have access to it.
        >
        >Ishy peace,
        >Amy

        Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar � includes FREE pop-up blocking!