Re: [ishmael_discussion] Your Money or Your Life

  • Stephen R. Figgins
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2003
      On 3/31/03 7:52 AM, "MDD" <dylan1371@...> wrote:

      > Anyone read this book? I feel like it goes hand in
      > hand with Ishmael, as far as living simply goes and
      > minimal negative impact on the environment.

      I used the methods in the book a few years ago to eliminate a large portion
      of my debt. One of the more useful parts for me was the opportunity to
      reflect upon my purchases whether I thought they were of good value, whether
      those purchases fit my values or not and whether or not I would have made
      that same purchase after I was financially independent.

      For me FI was more like TI, Taker Independent, or just BC. While the book
      is pitched at those who want to have enough money that work is optional, for
      me I just wanted to move beyond civilization.

      I am not exactly there yet, but the changes I made in my spending habits
      made it possible for me to quit my regular job, and spend a couple of years
      pursuing being a naturalist and tracker.

      I have been in more of a financial bind of late, and I am considering
      working through YMOYL again to see if I can make some further changes in my
      spending habits.

      Whether the book goes hand in hand with Ishmael, or minimal negative impact
      or not, will depend upon your values. It is, however, something I have
      found to be a useful tool in changing my life.

      -Stephen