Re: [ishmael_discussion] " belonging" (was g-d)

  • Bill Ellis
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1 4:18 AM
      on 1/31/03 7:05 PM, ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com at
      ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      From: Watcher <thewatcher@...>
      To be more specific, I am asking if Quinn's appeal is in how we
      feel superior because we know something others do not? Because
      we are privy to "hidden knowledge?" Or is there something more
      substantial here?

      BE:
      It seems to me that Qinn apeals because he gives us something to which to
      "belong."

      The most basic of all human needs is "belonging." From the moment we are
      born we are reaching out for love and attention. We want to love and be
      loved. As we grow this need to belong moves from mother's love, to family
      to community or tribe. If it is not supplied by the culture we are in we
      create a place to belong. We form gangs, clubs, cults, societies,
      religions, nations. We have ceremonies, symbols, flags, greetings, and many
      rules and actions to recognize those with whom we "belong." We don't
      necessarily feel "superior" but we search for in-groups.
      If our basic need to "belong" is not met by our culture we strike out
      against with school shootings, gang violence, and delinquency. The need for
      social bonding is particularly evident in the teen age years when family is
      not adequate to meet this basic need.
      Quinn suplies us with all the rigamorole of a tribe to which we can belong.
      The bonding is supplied by reading Ishmael. Others have made the same
      points but Ishmael implies that only those hear me are in -- we "belong."
      Why else are we on this list?
      Bill Ellis
    • Watcher
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1 7:55 AM
        Saturday, February 1, 2003, 7:18:02 AM, Bill wrote:

        BE> From: Watcher <thewatcher@...>
        BE> To be more specific, I am asking if Quinn's appeal is in how we
        BE> feel superior because we know something others do not? Because we
        BE> are privy to "hidden knowledge?" Or is there something more
        BE> substantial here?

        BE> BE:
        BE> It seems to me that Qinn apeals because he gives us something to
        BE> which to "belong."

        I think you have an excellent point, this can be said, of course,
        about any group that gathers for any reason.

        I would like to point out that the quote above was not of me but of
        someone I quoted... Steve I think.

        http://ishmaelswiki.org/wiki/index.php?Watcher20aka20Bill20DeVos
        Random Quote:
        Some people say less is more, No. More is more, and too much is never enough.