      From: Janos Biro <janosbirozero@...>
      To: ishmael_discussion@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, Apr 8, 2010 11:43 am
      Subject: Re: [ishmael_discussion] DQ controversy

      You are right about technology, I was just clarifying what I mean when I use
      hat word.
      About Lorenz, sure, again, I did not said Lorenz originated this idea, only
      hat he states it in a very, very similar way as it is stated in Ishmael.
      ut it could be just coincidence, no big deal.
      "Or are you arguing that the products of human intellect are somehow
      ivorced from physics or biology?"
      You are arguing that human cultures are products of natural selection. That
      ould only be truth if biological laws could be applied as they are to
      on-biological phenomenons. Social sciences are not completely separated
      rom natural sciences, but they are still very different things, with very
      ifferent approaches. The tendency to treat cultures as living beings is no
      onger suported by today anthropology, for example. Comparisions can be
      ade, however, in a limited context. One have to believe in universal
      volution theory to believe in what you are affirming.
      Does "cursing and blessing" imply moral judgment? If so, Daniel Quinn has a
      oral judgment of civilization, since he calls it a blessing, and I guess
      shmael states that the fall of Adam is a moral explanation of a observed
      Does the realization that human life is meaningless to the universe comforts
      ou? Really, what's the point in making anything of Quinn's ideas, if the
      nly real thing we can have is a like enjoyment while we are still alive? I
      ean, if happiness is all that matters, then we go back to humanism. Then
      verything Ishmael said was thinking in human happiness... Does that makes
      ense to you?