9836Re: [ishmael_discussion] DQ controversy

  • Janos Biro
    Apr 8 8:43 AM
      BC

      You are right about technology, I was just clarifying what I mean when I use
      that word.

      About Lorenz, sure, again, I did not said Lorenz originated this idea, only
      that he states it in a very, very similar way as it is stated in Ishmael.
      But it could be just coincidence, no big deal.

      "Or are you arguing that the products of human intellect are somehow
      divorced from physics or biology?"

      You are arguing that human cultures are products of natural selection. That
      could only be truth if biological laws could be applied as they are to
      non-biological phenomenons. Social sciences are not completely separated
      from natural sciences, but they are still very different things, with very
      different approaches. The tendency to treat cultures as living beings is no
      longer suported by today anthropology, for example. Comparisions can be
      made, however, in a limited context. One have to believe in universal
      evolution theory to believe in what you are affirming.

      Does "cursing and blessing" imply moral judgment? If so, Daniel Quinn has a
      moral judgment of civilization, since he calls it a blessing, and I guess
      Ishmael states that the fall of Adam is a moral explanation of a observed
      behavior.

      Does the realization that human life is meaningless to the universe comforts
      you? Really, what's the point in making anything of Quinn's ideas, if the
      only real thing we can have is a like enjoyment while we are still alive? I
      mean, if happiness is all that matters, then we go back to humanism. Then
      everything Ishmael said was thinking in human happiness... Does that makes
      sense to you?

      Janos

      http://janosbiro.rg3.net