iSDR and iOS 5.0

  • nz0i
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 11, 2011
      I have just submitted a new version of iSDR to Apple. If all goes well it should be back on the App Store in a week or two. This new version, 3.0., turned out to be a pretty significant release... which is to say, a lot of work. But I hope everyone will be pleased with the new features. But if you find that you prefer the way it worked before, then you're in luck! The new version supports settings in the native Settings app that will let you configure iSDR as you like, even making it look and function just about the same as the previous App Store version.

      iSDR has been available for about 18 months now. It first launched when iOS 3.1.3 was the latest and greatest iOS version. Sadly, when Apple released iOS 4.0 a bug was introduced that affected iSDR's audio quality perceptibly, causing pops/crackles especially when listening to strong CW signals. With iOS 5.0 it seems to me that Apple has fixed the audio bug. At least I have difficulty detecting any sign of it. Please let me know if you share or disagree with that observation.

      Many thanks to all the beta testers and others who have made helpful suggestions and provided encouragement.

      73,
      Charles
      NZ0I

      P.S. Here's a list of iSDR 3.0's features:

      o Six receive mode settings: USB, LSB, CW, AM, FM* and Binaural.
      o Selectable bandwidth settings for each mode.
      o Signal strength meter covering 120 dB of dynamic range with peak and average power indication.
      o Three AGC settings: fast, slow, and off.
      o Three display modes: Spectrum, Waterfall and Oscilloscope.
      o File sharing** supports downloaded audio-format spectrum files sync'd using iTunes.
      o Most PCM file formats are supported, including .wav and .caf.
      o Most file sample rates are supported with automatic resampling to 44.1 kHz bandwidth.
      o Embed the center frequency in your file names and iSDR will automatically display the correct frequency!
      o Built-in example audio file means the app is always ready to provide an authentic SDR demonstration!
      o Tuning, mode, bandwidth and AGC settings are all controlled from within the main display - no menu searching!
      o Tune quickly using a single touch to the display screen, or tune precisely using the rainbow tune bar.
      o Change radio settings with a simple double-tap action to the red cursor, mode text, AGC indicator or signal grid!
      o Up to 44.1 kHz of available spectrum bandwidth.
      o All in-app settings can also be configured in the native Settings app.
      o Dimmable semi-log or linear spectrum grid (native Settings app only).
      o Adjustable CW offset (native Settings app only).
      o Monaural microphone input automatically adjusts display to 22 kHz bandwidth.
      o Automatically detects if external audio is available for receiving live signals (menu selectable).
      o Reverse I/Q stereo input logic (menu selectable).
      o User-adjustable displayed center-frequency setting, including negative frequency values (menu selectable).
      o Display lock prevents settings from being changed inadvertently.

      *FM mode is not supported for monaural signals, and will not appear as a selection unless stereo audio (live or recorded) is available. Narrow band FM only: 16 kHz or 11.2 kHz bandwidth.

      **File sharing is supported only on devices running iOS 3.2 and later.

      NZ0I
    • nz0i
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 14, 2011
        Apple says it reviews 96% of its new apps within five business days of submission. If so, then iSDR stands a good chance of being back in the App Store by Friday this week. In anticipation of that, here's a few things to be aware of regarding iSDR ver 3.0 and iOS 5.x

        iCloud

        If you download I/Q recordings to iSDR, you may find that Apple automatically backs them up to iCloud. If that's what you want to happen, then no problem. But if you would prefer not to devote your iCloud storage space to your downloaded I/Q recordings, you may need to go into the settings menu and disable backups for the iSDR app. I will provide more information about this on the web site: isdr.digitalconfections.com.

        A New App

        iSDR was removed from the App Store so that ownership of the app could be officially transferred from me personally to Digital Confections LLC. Apple had no other way to handle this transaction other than for me to remove iSDR and relaunch it as a brand new app. It was not a big deal, but it might affect users of earlier iSDR versions in strange ways:

        1. You might NOT see that little red badge indicating there is a new version of iSDR available. As far as Apple is concerned, version 3.0 is a new app, not a revision!

        2. When you download iSDR ver 3.0 you might find that you have two versions of iSDR on your device at the same time: the old version and the new one. That could be a little confusing. Let me know about your experience. I could change the version 3.0 app icon, perhaps making it a different background color, so that it is easier to distinguish the old from the new. Of course you might just prefer to delete the old version from your device; that should work too.

        3. All the star ratings and reviews for the "old" iSDR are gone, never to return. So please go rate the new version and maybe write a short review, when you find time.

        On the plus side, you might see iSDR advertised on Apple's "What's New" section. That should help attract more folks to give iSDR a try, and may even attract a few to become involved in the radio hobby.

        73,
        Charles
        NZ0I
      • Philip
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2011
          Hi Charles.

          Many thanks for the update.
          Cannot get this one to work.

          o Embed the center frequency in your file names and iSDR will automatically
          display the correct frequency!

          What format of file name, like this 7100.0.WAV or this 7100.wav.

          Philip. g7jur.

          --- In isdr-app@yahoogroups.com, "nz0i" <charles.scharlau@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > o All in-app settings can also be configured in the native Settings app.
          > o Dimmable semi-log or linear spectrum grid (native Settings app only).
          > o Adjustable CW offset (native Settings app only).
          > o Monaural microphone input automatically adjusts display to 22 kHz bandwidth.
          > o Automatically detects if external audio is available for receiving live signals (menu selectable).
          > o Reverse I/Q stereo input logic (menu selectable).
          > o User-adjustable displayed center-frequency setting, including negative frequency values (menu selectable).
          > o Display lock prevents settings from being changed inadvertently.
          >
          > *FM mode is not supported for monaural signals, and will not appear as a selection unless stereo audio (live or recorded) is available. Narrow band FM only: 16 kHz or 11.2 kHz bandwidth.
          >
          > **File sharing is supported only on devices running iOS 3.2 and later.

        • Charles Scharlau
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2011
            Hi Philip,

            You have lots of choices for embedding the frequency. Here are some samples (also available on the support web site):

            Specifying Center Frequency
            You can have iSDR automatically set the Center Frequency value for a file by embedding the center frequency information into the file name. The Center Frequency value needs to be bracketed by the characters "_+" and "+_". Here are some examples:

            text_+7_050_000+_text.wav → 7050 kHz
            text_+7050_000+_text.wav  → 7050 kHz
            text_+7050_0+_text.wav  → 7050 kHz
            text_+7050_+_text.wav   → 7050 kHz
            text_+7050+_text.wav  → 7050 kHz
            text_+7_050+_text.wav   → 7.050 kHz
            text_+_05000+_text.wav  → 0.050 kHz

            text_+450000_000+_text.wav  → 450000 kHz
            text_+450000_001+_text.wav   → overflow error

            text_+145678_000+_text.wav  → 145678 kHz
            text_+145_678_000+_text.wav  → 145678 kHz

            Embedding short text with the frequency information is also OK:
            text_+_1__2_3_456+_text.wav  → 123.456 kHz (extra "_" are ignored)
            text_+123_456kHz+_text.wav → 123.456 kHz (non-numbers ignored)
            text_+0+_text.wav  → 0.000 kHz (zero is OK)

            On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Philip <philip.g7jur@...> wrote:

            Hi Charles.

            Many thanks for the update.
            Cannot get this one to work.

> [...]

            > o All in-app settings can also be configured in the native Settings app.
            > o Dimmable semi-log or linear spectrum grid (native Settings app only).
            > o Adjustable CW offset (native Settings app only).
            > o Monaural microphone input automatically adjusts display to 22 kHz bandwidth.
            > o Automatically detects if external audio is available for receiving live signals (menu selectable).
            > o Reverse I/Q stereo input logic (menu selectable).
            > o User-adjustable displayed center-frequency setting, including negative frequency values (menu selectable).
            > o Display lock prevents settings from being changed inadvertently.
            >
            > *FM mode is not supported for monaural signals, and will not appear as a selection unless stereo audio (live or recorded) is available. Narrow band FM only: 16 kHz or 11.2 kHz bandwidth.
            >
            > **File sharing is supported only on devices running iOS 3.2 and later.

          • Charles Scharlau
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2011
              The tricks for making it work are:
              1. Bracket the frequency info with "_+" and "+_" characters.
              2. Frequency is always in kHz.
              3. If you include an "_" in the frequency numbers, it will be treated as a decimal point.
              4. If you include more than one "_" in the frequency numbers, the right-most "_" will be treated as a decimal point.

            • Philip
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 15, 2011
                Hi Charles.

                Thanks for the quick reply.
                Now got it working, and how silly of me not to look at the support site.

                Just updated my iPad and iTouch to OS 5.01, released today.
                Still have the click sounds on the iPad, and with OS 5.0.

                Philip g7jur.