[isadora-user-group] Re: bins and movie players

  • nick weldin
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 14, 2004
      Hi Simon

      >(double click on the movie
      >bin to set the control number)

      Is this refering to the bin picker control panel? I can't get a
      control link attatched to the bin itself.

      By bin i don't mean a bin picker in the control panel, I mean the
      bins as they appear in the window that you drag clips into to add
      them to the project (apple M to get it onto screen).

      Linking the movie property to the control value of a bin picker
      doesn't seem to prevent values for movies in other bins being
      entered and played by other actors, only from being selected by the
      bin picker control panel.

      Cheers

      Nick
    • nick weldin
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 14, 2004
        Hi

        I don't have my laptop with the patch in front of me. I will send you
        details tomorrow.

        Cheers

        Nick

        >p.s. Nick, hat is your workaround?
        >
        >--
        >Dr. Hoo M.D.
        >Media Doktor
        >toshi@...
      • nick weldin
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 15, 2004
          ok got it in front of me now.

          its a proof of concept kind of thing at the moment.

          there are two video bins, each with some video in. I want to step
          through the video in one bin only.

          there are two 'get media count' set to type video and bin 1 and two.

          They are fed into a calculator that adds them together and this value
          is linked to the maximum and current value of an integer counter.

          The value of bin 1 is sent through a calculator that adds 1. This
          gives us the value for the first item in bin two, and this is fed
          into the min value of integer counter. the integer counter mode is
          wrap

          The output of the integer counter is link to the movie property of the player

          a keyboard watcher feeds into the trigger of the add on the integer counter.

          this then circles round the videos in the second bin only, moving
          onto the next one each time the key being watched for is pressed.

          moving media into bins instantly updates the setting.

          with more bins you would just need to add more get media count actors
          and calculators

          if you wanted to ue a variable input to select between these videos
          (rather than stepping through) then a limit scale value actor will
          scale it appropriately, although you should then add .9 to the max
          figure before feeding it to the limit scale value if you want all the
          videos to have an equal chance of being played, otherwise the last
          video will only get played when the variable reaches its maximum
          value, rather than over a range of values.

          hth

          Nick

          >p.s. Nick, hat is your workaround?
          >
          >--
          >Dr. Hoo M.D.
          >Media Doktor
          >toshi@...

        • Mark Coniglio
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 16, 2004
            Dear Nick & All,

            I've been following the discussion about the bins (including requests
            for numbering from the 1 for each bin) with interest. I think Nick's
            come up with the only solution for the moment, but clearly there are
            improvements to make in this area. I will see what it would take to
            improve this behavior in the next release.

            Best,
            Mark
            --
            Read about Troika Ranch in the March Apple Hot News:
            http://www.apple.com/hotnews/articles/2003/03/troikaranch/

            Mark Coniglio, Artistic Co-Director | mark@...
            Troika Ranch Dance Theater | http://www.troikaranch.org
          • Michael Lazar
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 16, 2004
              Another approach would be to use an Integer Counter initialized to the Min
              and Max of the range of clips you want to play. The Integer Counter is set
              into wrap Mode. The Output of the Integer Counter feeds the Movie Player's
              Video input. When a clip is done playing, the Movie Player outputs a Loop
              End trigger which is fed back into the Integer Counter's Add input.

              You just need to send an initial trigger to the Integer Counter's Add input
              to get things started.

              You could use other controls to set/change the Min and Max of the Integer
              Counter.

              Michael