Con-Ed lineman: buy a generator

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
      Hi everyone-

      - Power to (most of) Osceola circuit restored around 5pm yesterday. No word on homes 'fronting' Field Terrace, which were still dark at that point. Cotenet (sp?), as of last night, still dark.

      - Mayor Smith will post updates here as well as on Village list.

      - I talked to the lineman overseeing our repair, who said people should buy generators. Period. "Buy a generator" seemed to be an obvious principle of homeownership to him. (News to me. I have a vague memory that, back in Los Angeles, govt actually discouraged homeowners from buying generators for earthquake outages...)

      - Lineman confirmed that bigger jobs ALWAYS trump smaller jobs. Big-before-small is bedrock for Con-Ed; they're not defensive about it. The lineman actually pointed to the feeder line going down to my freezing-cold uninhabitable house & said "If a tree falls on that line, then if we fix it, we're restoring power to just 1 household." (Very happy, then, that tree fell on my neighbors' lines, too, right?)

      - Tried to pin him down on who's small and who's big. Didn't follow his answer altogether, BUT I did learn that the Osceola circuit, with just 41 homes, is small. (Four homes on 1 circuit -- in Gracemere's case -- is a heck of a lot smaller.) Lineman told me that any place where you have lots of green space AND hills - terrain is a big part of it - you likely have small circuits. In the case of the Osceola circuit, there are very large houses with lots of land AND a hill and woods AND a country club WITH A GOLF COURSE. (I am now **guessing** that a country-club-with-golf-course counts as '1' in Con-Ed metrics).

      - (The one funny thing about this is that Too Big to Fail in Con-Ed terms means rich people come dead last. Which I realize is not funny to said rich people.)

      - I pointed out that under Too Big to Fail, the same people always come last, & the same people always come first. He said the people who always come last "get generators," i.e. figure out the score and buy generators. (He was a great guy, btw. Very interesting & funny; he was just laying the whole thing out for me.)

      - I didn't think to ask (& he may not have known) - but presumably "Too Big to Fail" applies to "flipping the switch," too. In E.T.'s case (where family paid for private repairs to lines on private property) all that remains to be done is to flip the switch, & that is **not** being done. Family has had to evacuate their home 'til power is restored.

      Well, flipping the switch may be a bit more complicated than flipping the switch: in Osceola's case flipping the switch meant sending a separate crew to Broadway who (presumably) turned off Beechwood & lower Osceola while testing repairs to Osceola circuit. That part of the job took minimal time - 1 hour at the outside, probably less - but it did mean sending a truck & 2 men out to do it. If Con Ed has to send a truck & 2 men to your street to 'flip the switch' for your house & your house alone, then they're not going to do it until they've flipped the switch for everyone else.

      BOTTOM LINE: the TIMES story had it exactly right. If a tree falls on the feeder line to your house, you are at the very bottom of the list. Con-Ed could restore the CIRCUIT that serves your house, then drive away without restoring power to you because you're just 1 house.

      Given the fact that any of us could find ourselves in that position, I now think everyone should have back-up generators as a matter of course. (Will post my brother's info on generators later.)

      I also think people who are always going to have their power turned on last - always, as a matter of policy - should pay lower rates, or get a discount, or be entitled to a Con Ed-installed generator & gas, or be first in line for gas during gas shortage --- SOMETHING. People on small circuits are **guaranteed** poorer service and greater expense coping with regular power outages, but they're paying the same fees as people guaranteed immediate attention & repairs.

      Equal fees should mean equal service. End of story.

      In any event, I'm getting a generator & a LOT of gas stored in gas cans ASAP.

      And I would be thrilled to contribute to a charitable fund whose purpose is to buy and install generators for people who can't afford them or lend money for that purpose.

    • derek bell
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
        I called Con Ed again this morning.  Our neighborhood of 30 homes is still in the dark.  As usual, she said they don't know if crews will be in Irvington today, and power should be restored by Friday at midnight.  But, this time she said it could now take until Sunday night.  Resetting expectations.  I asked about work during this new storm today, and she said crews can work as long as it's not raining.  So, once the rain starts, no more restoration work will be done.  Understandable given water and electricity don't mix.  Bascially, if we don't have a crew on site now, we're screwed for another day.

        Derek Bell
        7 Leafwood Terrace

        On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Catherine wrote:

[...]

      • Edward B Tishelman

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
            Great news from the mayor today (for our neighborhood).  Hopefully, they can finish before the rain...

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
              Derek - thank you - fingers crossed for EVERYONE - we do have one bedroom with two twin beds here (and floor space, obviously) --- Catherine

              On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:37 AM, derek bell <derekbell@...> wrote:

[...]

              * * * * * * *

            • Catherine
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                Oh no - I misunderstood earlier message - thought you had power ---
                We have two beds (& floor space) --- (I think I just heard the computer flicker on and off --- hope these repairs hold --- )
                C.

                --- In irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com, derek bell <derekbell@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > (Will post my brother's info on generators later.)
                >
                > I also think people who are always going to have their power turned on
                > last - always, as a matter of policy - should pay lower rates, or get a
                > discount, or be entitled to a Con Ed-installed generator & gas, or be
                > first in line for gas during gas shortage --- SOMETHING. People on small
                > circuits are **guaranteed** poorer service and greater expense coping
                > with regular power outages, but they're paying the same fees as people
                > guaranteed immediate attention & repairs.
                >
                > Equal fees should mean equal service. End of story.
                >
                > In any event, I'm getting a generator & a LOT of gas stored in gas cans
                > ASAP.
                >
                > And I would be thrilled to contribute to a charitable fund whose purpose
                > is to buy and install generators for people who can't afford them or

              • Catherine
                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                  Thank you SO much for posting --- do you have power as well? (How are people with private lines faring, do we know?)
                  Catherine

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                    Right: you've got 30 homes, we've got 41.

                    So we come first, apparently. (I think Con Ed should tell everyone, as a matter of course, how many homes are on their circuit & where that puts them in the pecking order.)

                    Derek, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

                    Good to know about rain & line work. I was wondering.

                    The **one** bright spot: I think it's safe to conclude that Con Ed does indeed try to "underpromise and overdeliver." That's what happened here. First the date was Friday midnight; then it was Thursday 11 pm; then it was Wednesday 11 pm.

                    In the event, power was restored Tuesday, around 5pm.

                  • Edward B Tishelman
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                      Yes, I'm one of the two homes (bob Reilly is the other)

                      Ed

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                        Great! Very glad to hear it. Having power, heat, light, & hot water restored is a fantastic relief. Andrew (who is autistic) was so happy he didn't even protest when we discovered that his computer (his BELOVED computer) apparently died in the storm.

                        I am ***really*** hoping everyone can get power back before the storm -----

                        Other: one of the buildings on Cottenet w/o power was able to install a generator 2 nights ago. I think they're in pretty decent shape now, though obviously they need power restored. But they've got heat, at least some light, and hot water.

                        So that's good.

                        C.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                          I heard South Cottonet Street got power back this morning; the Con Ed crew was then in our neighborhood but stopped due to rain / snow.  Not sure whether to laugh or cry.  Time to pray to the sun god...

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                            oh my gosh, Derek - I am so sorry - any word on how soon they can get back on the job?

                            (Remember! We have 2 beds!)

                            C.

                            Watching TV (too blasted from the past 10 days to get back on track today) - 296,000 people in NY still out of power, I think they just said. And a new storm beginning.

                            Reporter says: "A lot of people have just been surviving from day to day. They're just kind of beaten down."

                            He's talking about people on Staten Island, but the same principle applies to everyone.

                            I'm thinking that unless you've been through it, you can't really imagine how debilitating loss of power is with winter cold coming on and 5-hour lines (and near fights) at the gas stations and empty shelves at the grocery store and the knowledge of devastation close by.

                            I've seen a couple of scolding comments on various threads telling people to stop feeling sorry for themselves because others have it so much worse.

                            In truth, the fact that so many others have it so much worse adds to the stress.

                            It is no comfort to me to think that while my own family is (was) freezing, someone else's family doesn't have a house.

                            Just the opposite.

                          • derek bell
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                              I spoke too soon; we still have hope.  Latest news is Con Ed is working in the snow on Shaw Lane, thinking a feeder located there is the source of our problem.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                                I'm on pins and needles - !

                                Seriously!

                                Every time I look out the window I think: PEOPLE NEED ELECTRICITY!

                                Keep us posted -----

                                C.

                                (Anchor says: "The last thing those people need is snow.")

                              • davidjayrose@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                                  We have a "scout" fro con ed waiting at our problem area. He too said they will work in the snow and even rain. Only winds will force them to stop working.

                                  I am hopeful for today maybe for us in Gracemere, but if not today, should definitely be tpomorrow.

                                  David Rose
                                  From: derek bell <derekbell@...>
                                  Sender: irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:20:23 -0500 (EST)
                                  To: <irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com>
                                  ReplyTo: irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com
                                  Subject: RE: [irvingtonparentsforum] Re: Con-Ed lineman: buy a generator

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                                    Thanks, David, that's encouraging!  I guess I should have known not to trust what a Con Ed customer rep says on the phone.  Fine to register a complaint, but take whatever info they provide with a grain of salt.

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    From: derek bell <derekbell@...>
                                    Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 14:20:23 -0500 (EST)

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                                      Oh, very good to know ---
                                      Fingers crossed, Dave -----
                                      Keep us posted ----
                                      Catherine

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                                        I would like to read a primer on electrical grids; also a good book on meteorology.
                                        A friend sent a couple of links to articles on tristate grid, so if those are helpful I'll post URLs.