Re: [irvingtonparentsforum] No electricity for 2 weeks

  • Brian C. Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
      Absoultely not true!  ConEd has been very cooperative - we have two crews working in the Village and they have even provide some tree crews (to help our DPW and our own contracted tree service).  There are several Westchester Villages and Towns who so not have any crews yet so I do not beleive we are being punished.

      Brian C. Smith, Mayor
      Village of Irvington
      (914) 591-9646 (Home)
      (646) 265-3950 (Cell)

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
        Hey Brian !

        Thanks for getting back to us so quickly --- appreciate it!
        Is Con Ed now in "Restoration" mode - do you know?
        If not, do we have a time frame for transitioning to Restoration mode?

        Thanks!

        (Have you checked the Patch thread - apparently one person says s/he was told Con Ed trucks were being deployed to Manhattan --- have only skimmed the thread myself so I didn't read that particular comment - )

        We had, on our road, a man from Florida turning off the power.
        My sister, in Sacramento, says crews there left for NY the day of the hurricane.

        Catherine

      • kriswoll@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
          LOL I'm sure it was a joke. :-)

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
            Hey everyone -

            I have no way to fact-check this, so I'm relying on people here to provide "Internet Checking" ....

            Just talked to someone with info on Con Ed work rules.

            I mentioned earlier that our power made it through the storm --- then Con Ed came out & turned it off.

            (fyi: We're on the Ardsley Country Club circuit; the club's power was turned off when ours was.)

            Apparently, Con Ed has work rules that require two trucks for every job. Two trucks and I believe at least 2 or perhaps 3 employees in each truck.

            AND there is a strict division of labor re: turning-power-off and turning-power-on.

            The people who turn power off aren't allowed to turn the power back on and vice versa.

            SO:

            Con Ed sent out a power-turning-off crew to deal with a tree that fell across the road during the storm.

            In order to do the work safely, they turned power off.

            But once they'd completed the work, they didn't turn the power back on.

            My source says this situation --- power spared by Hurricane Sandy but turned off by Con Ed --- is the result, at least in part, of work rules that forbid the people who turned the power off from turning it back on when they were finished with the job.

            Of course, now I'm thinking about how that plays out across the county --- is it the case (does anyone know?) that work rules mean none of the tree-clearing crews can turn power on once they're finished?

            Do residents have to wait for a second set of trucks to be dispatched?

            If so, doesn't that slow down the effort?

            I don't know the answers to any of these questions, and, as I say, I have no way of fact checking at the moment. So if someone has solid information, would love to hear.

            Am also curious to know how many people lost power ***after*** the storm. We were laughing about it the other night... somebody managed to get online via cell phone and there was some report saying .... 160,000 Westchester residents out of power (can't remember the figure---- ) --- we said, well, after today, it's 160,050.

            Catherine

            --- In irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com, kriswoll@... wrote:

            > LOL I'm sure it was a joke. :-)

          • jsf
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
              Thanks for the swift response Mr. Smith.  I'm glad to hear the person my wife was talking to had it all wrong, although since then I've learned that ConEd says it may be as late as 11/11 before we have power back.

              I have communicated with Mr. Abinanti and members of Ms. Lowey's staff today.  They all mentioned that ConEd is working closely with town leaders to determine where to focus their efforts and suggested I inquire locally.. fair enough.. and here you are!...  Route 9 is awful dark without the street lamps... i hope they're a priority.  I'm a bit nervous walking the dog on broadway without the benefit of street lamps.

              best wishes and thanks for everything you're doing!

              Joshua

              --
              http://gplus.to/jsf
              http://about.me/joshuafreeman
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                Catherine,

                I am happy to report that limited restoration work has commenced in the Village, we are first focusing on key areas like the schools and polling places for next Tuesday's election, obviously the homes around these areas will also be restored.  However, it is important that residents prepare for an extended time without power.  Con Ed's "official" restoration date is November 9th and while I am afraid we may have some residents that will take that long to have power restored, I am confident that it will be much shorter than that.    If I receive an updated time line, I will send it on a Village blast and the Village's Facebook page.

                Also, I do not believe your latest post about ConEd work rules is accurate - the same team can both turn on and turn off power.  My guess is that they turned off the power in your neighborhood and then left to deal with another downed wire issue somewhere else.  They have numerous safety checks before they can turn the lines back on and they were certainly in "safety" mode at the time so they moved on to address the next live wire/tree issue and did not have the time to turn you back on.

                Lastly, on the issue of diverting repair crews to Manhattan.  I have spoken to County Executive Rob Astorino who met with the ConEd President and CEO who assured him that no one has been diverted and the plan always called for different crews.  We of course do not have to believe the answer but the question was asked directly and the answer was no.  The good news is more crews are arriving everyday from as far away as Alabama and California.  FEMA has even flown in equipment from California to aid in the effort.  Imagine how long we would be out if this was not the case!

                Hang in there,

                Brian C. Smith, Mayor
                Village of Irvington
                (646) 265-3950 (Cell)

                --- In mailto:irvingtonparentsforum%40yahoogroups.com, "Brian C. Smith" <bsmith@...> wrote:

                > Absoultely not true!  ConEd has been very cooperative - we have two crews working in the Village and they have even provide some tree crews (to help our DPW and our own contracted tree service).  There are several Westchester Villages and Towns who so not have any crews yet so I do not beleive we are being punished.
                >

                > Brian C. Smith, Mayor
                > Village of Irvington
                > (914) 591-9646 (Home)
                > (646) 265-3950 (Cell)

              • Catherine
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2012
                  Thanks so much, Brian - very helpful - and good to know the question was asked directly.

                  Also: VERY encouraging to know that we are at least **in** "Restoration Mode"!

                  On another subject, I was talking to Ed about the Hess situation. He says it was pretty close to blowing up, and the two employees on the job, who were amazing, were both pretty young & dealing with a big & unprecedented set of circumstances.

                  I know the station is outside Irvington jurisdiction, but if there's someone in the appropriate jurisdiction you can lean on to send officers, I think that would be fantastic.

                  Thanks so much for filling us in ---- (hope you're right about work rules!)