archive: Robert J. Grados - "I am appalled"

  • Catherine Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2012

    February 15, 2011

    Little Tax Burdens
    Original post by Grados

    From a post on a competing Irvington blog today: "> That's a favorite of some Blind Brook residents. They tell old people to move if they don't want to pay the taxes. I have to just shake my head, because that means another young family with kids will move in putting more tax burden on the community than if the empty nesters had stayed...>> Some people clearly don't get it!" I am appalled. A portion of our community honestly feels that our district's children are a tax burden. The logic must be that, if we dissuade young families from moving into our district, our tax burden will go down. There is no logic in the thought, however, because, as new families coming into the community declines, so too does property values.

    http://www.diligentsia.org/2011/02/little-tax-burdens.html

    Robert J. Grados
    Member, Board of Education
    Irvington Union Free School District
    Irvington, NY
    Member, "Dilligentsia"
    Consultant
    Allen & Overy
    Bob Grados

    From: Catherine Johnson <cijohn@...>
    Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:35:47 -0400
    To: Irvington Parents Forum <irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com>
    Subject: Re: [irvingtonparentsforum] archive: Phil Whitney Mother's Day endorsement - "mothers on the school board"

    Hey Francis -

    Unfortunately, I fear there is all too much meaningful ideology in this endorsement of "mothers on the school board" written by Phil Whitney, Vice President of Online Media for American Express Publishing.

    Phil Whitney endorses Maria and Robyn K on grounds that they are mothers, reminding us implicitly that his colleague, Robyne C, is not a mother, and then closes by calling attention to the fact that he is a parent.

    The clear implication is that Phil Whitney believes that only parents have the ability or the right to serve on the school board.

    If I have misstated Phil Whitney's position, I will be extremely happy to correct.

    In fact, I would be thrilled to see a public statement, written and issued jointly by Phil Whitney, Robert J. Grados (Consultant, Allen & Overby – congratulations, Bob!), and PTSA president-elect Tanya Hunt expressing their respect and support for all members of the Irvington community, parents and non-parents alike, and stating unequivocally that they would welcome and support the participation on the school board of non-parents with whose platform they agree.

    Catherine

    From: francis goudie <francisgoudie@...>
    Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:52:52 -0500 (CDT)
    To: Irvington Parents Forum <irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com>

    Wow, talk about meaningless ideology.

    Toute nation a le gouvernement qu’elle mérite, non?

    Francis Goudie
    119 N Broadway
    Irvington, NY 10533

    On 05/16/12, Catherine Johnson<cijohn@...> wrote:

    Philip Whitney
    296 Riverview Road
    Irvington, NY
    May 13, 2012
    Dear Friends,

    On this beautiful Mother's Day morning, what better time to reflect upon the kind of candidate we would like to be on our Irvington School Board.

    Now there's an unusual concept - mothers on the School Board! Well, in fact, at the moment, that concept is just that - an idea - because we have no mothers on the School Board.

    Fortunately, there are two candidates - both mothers - who are excellent candidates for the Board and who deserve your support. They have mine.

    Robyn Kerner and Maria Kashkin are those candidates. Both have been leaders in our town and in our district. Both have actually accomplished many things and have demonstrated a can-do practicality.

    And most importantly, both are free of conflict of interest or meaningless ideology. In fact, I can say with 100% confidence that both Kerner and Kashkin have but one thing they care about: high quality education within reasonable limitations of what our district can afford.

    That's why they have my vote on Tuesday, May 15. As a parent of two children with deep roots in our special community, and as a School Board member myself, I want to see our school district thrive. Kerner and Kashkin will see that it does.
    Enjoy your Mother's Day!

    Sincerely,

    Phil

    Phil Whitney Vice President Online Media American Express Publishing

  • Catherine Johnson
    Message 2 of 7 , May 21, 2012

      Hi everyone -

      Board member Phil Whitney has allowed his Mother's Day endorsement of "mothers on the school board" to stand. His silence is a mistake, I believe, but there it is.

      A friend looked up Phil's school taxes for 2011-2012: $14,859.08.

      I have calculated the figure "non parents" are contributing to his family this year, which I make out to be $42,458.56.

      (If any of you find errors, please let me know and I will correct.)

      CJ

      http://irvingtonschools.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/what-non-parents-pay-for-2-children-attending-irvington-schools/