archive: "Diligentsia" - Grados & Hunt

  • Catherine Johnson
    Message 1 of 7 , May 17, 2012

    TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 15, 2011

    First Post

    —original post by Dan Knowler
    "Hi!" to all Irvington IUFSD stakeholders.

    This is the first post on our new school-based blog, The IUFSD-Diligentsia Blog. It's open to any and all for comments.

    Parents, and Board members, too, will offer fact-based, current school news and thoughtful opinions about hot topics—and we'll have a continuing back-and-forth discussion and Q&A in a comfortable "place". Tanya Hunt, Bob Grados and I will start things off. We invite others (parents and teachers especially) to become blogger-posters—just contact us:

    tanya.huntny@...
    robert.grados@...
    dan_knowler@...

    While "school-related news" is IUFSD-Diligentsia's primary focus, there's a strong secondary intent, too: we want to involve more parents, especially those of pre-school children. Who's more invested in the next 15 years or so, after all? I know, for one, that I want my grade 7 and 9 boys to graduate from a system recognizably similar to but reasonably improved from today's IUFSD. I imagine most parents want the same or similar, that is: "dependable and always improving". In any case, informed parents, I'm sure, are better parents.

    Tomorrow, I'll post my recent open letter to the Board about what I think should be their priorities at this time.

    Again, "welco
    me" to IUFSD-Diligentsia. We're looking forward to hearing from you—the more the better, soon!
    Dan Knowler

    BTW: Diligentsia is a word conflating diligence and intelligence, both important parental qualities. Both are welcome! That also means that this blog may change in detail at any time—it's a baby and it's gonna grow!

    From: Catherine Johnson <cijohn@...>
    Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 00:35:40 -0400
    To: Irvington Parents Forum <irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com>
    Subject: [irvingtonparentsforum] archive: PTSA president-elect Tanya Hunt endorsement BOE campaign

    0 Comments >> Make Your Comment —original post by Diligentsia
    EMAIL SEEN THIS AFTERNOON
    Dear Friends and Neighbors,
    Irvington’s school budget and Board member election istomorrow, Tuesday, May 15.  Please go to the Main Street School Auditorium from 7 a.m.-9 p.m. and vote YES on the budget and for TWO School Board candidates. Personally, I highly recommend you vote for Maria Kashkin and Robyn Kerner.
    I know all five candidates for the School Board because I have worked for years with each of them. I have observed them frequently as school board colleagues and at school board meetings, as part of numerous school-related committees, or as fellow school and community volunteers—in some cases all three.  From this close and consistent vantage point, I have learned a great deal about the capabilities, judgment and demeanor of each, especially when he or she has been in a position to help make decisions that affect our children, our schools and our community.
    We are truly fortunate to have Irvington School Board candidates who care enough to volunteer and serve our community in many ways.  Even better, in these challenging times, we are unbelievably lucky that two of them, Maria Kashkin and Robyn Kerner, now offer their superlative skills to us as School Board candidates. Quite simply, my long personal experience with these ladies tells me without question that we can trust Kashkin and Kerner.  They will make sound judgments, each in her own way, that will benefit our children and all of us, both short and long term.
    As a former School Board member and President myself, I can say unequivocally that Kashkin and Kerner are both exceptionally well qualified to join our School Board. I will vote for them on May 15. I hope you’ll do the same.
    Kindest regards,
    Tanya

    http://www.diligentsia.org/search?updated-max=2012-05-15T14:17:00-04:00&max-results=5

    Tanya Hunt, President-Elect PTSA
    Irvington Union Free School District
    May 14, 2012

    From: Catherine Johnson <cijohn@...>
    Date: Wed, 16 May 2012 23:38:42 -0400
    To: Irvington Parents Forum <irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com>
    Subject: [irvingtonparentsforum] archive: Phil Whitney Mother's Day endorsement - "mothers on the school board"

    Philip Whitney
    296 Riverview Road
    Irvington, NY
    May 13, 2012
    Dear Friends,

    On this beautiful Mother's Day morning, what better time to reflect upon the kind of candidate we would like to be on our Irvington School Board.

    Now there's an unusual concept - mothers on the School Board! Well, in fact, at the moment, that concept is just that - an idea - because we have no mothers on the School Board.

    Fortunately, there are two candidates - both mothers - who are excellent candidates for the Board and who deserve your support. They have mine.

    Robyn Kerner and Maria Kashkin are those candidates. Both have been leaders in our town and in our district. Both have actually accomplished many things and have demonstrated a can-do practicality.

    And most importantly, both are free of conflict of interest or meaningless ideology. In fact, I can say with 100% confidence that both Kerner and Kashkin have but one thing they care about: high quality education within reasonable limitations of what our district can afford.

    That's why they have my vote on Tuesday, May 15. As a parent of two children with deep roots in our special community, and as a School Board member myself, I want to see our school district thrive. Kerner and Kashkin will see that it does.
    Enjoy your Mother's Day!

    Sincerely,

    Phil

    Phil Whitney Vice President Online Media American Express Publishing

  • Catherine Johnson
    Message 2 of 7 , May 17, 2012

    February 15, 2011

    Little Tax Burdens
    Original post by Grados

    From a post on a competing Irvington blog today: "> That's a favorite of some Blind Brook residents. They tell old people to move if they don't want to pay the taxes. I have to just shake my head, because that means another young family with kids will move in putting more tax burden on the community than if the empty nesters had stayed...>> Some people clearly don't get it!" I am appalled. A portion of our community honestly feels that our district's children are a tax burden. The logic must be that, if we dissuade young families from moving into our district, our tax burden will go down. There is no logic in the thought, however, because, as new families coming into the community declines, so too does property values.

    http://www.diligentsia.org/2011/02/little-tax-burdens.html

    Robert J. Grados
    Member, Board of Education
    Irvington Union Free School District
    Irvington, NY
    Member, "Dilligentsia"
    Consultant
    Allen & Overy
    Bob Grados

    From: Catherine Johnson <cijohn@...>
    Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 11:35:47 -0400
    To: Irvington Parents Forum <irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com>

    Hey Francis -

    Unfortunately, I fear there is all too much meaningful ideology in this endorsement of "mothers on the school board" written by Phil Whitney, Vice President of Online Media for American Express Publishing.

    Phil Whitney endorses Maria and Robyn K on grounds that they are mothers, reminding us implicitly that his colleague, Robyne C, is not a mother, and then closes by calling attention to the fact that he is a parent.

    The clear implication is that Phil Whitney believes that only parents have the ability or the right to serve on the school board.

    If I have misstated Phil Whitney's position, I will be extremely happy to correct.

    In fact, I would be thrilled to see a public statement, written and issued jointly by Phil Whitney, Robert J. Grados (Consultant, Allen & Overby – congratulations, Bob!), and PTSA president-elect Tanya Hunt expressing their respect and support for all members of the Irvington community, parents and non-parents alike, and stating unequivocally that they would welcome and support the participation on the school board of non-parents with whose platform they agree.

    Catherine

    From: francis goudie <francisgoudie@...>
    Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 09:52:52 -0500 (CDT)
    To: Irvington Parents Forum <irvingtonparentsforum@yahoogroups.com>

    Wow, talk about meaningless ideology.

    Toute nation a le gouvernement qu’elle mérite, non?

    Francis Goudie
    119 N Broadway
    Irvington, NY 10533

    Message 3 of 7 , May 21, 2012

      Hi everyone -

      Board member Phil Whitney has allowed his Mother's Day endorsement of "mothers on the school board" to stand. His silence is a mistake, I believe, but there it is.

      A friend looked up Phil's school taxes for 2011-2012: $14,859.08.

      I have calculated the figure "non parents" are contributing to his family this year, which I make out to be $42,458.56.

      (If any of you find errors, please let me know and I will correct.)

      CJ

      http://irvingtonschools.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/what-non-parents-pay-for-2-children-attending-irvington-schools/