Leaving Children Behind in Irvington Middle School: subgroup performance scores

  • cijohn Verizon
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 10, 2007
      Leaving Children Behind in Irvington Middle School: subgroup performance scores
      Hello everyone —

      Dan Knowler’s post, below, arrives at a timely juncture in our district’s history.

      At last night’s board meeting, the IUFSD administration presented a “Student Performance Review.”

      One fact in particular, I am told, leapt out at members of the audience: the number of black and Hispanic students passing the 8th grade state assessments in math and ELA.

      That number is zero.

      In 2007, not one of IUFSD’s 15 8th-grade black and Hispanic students earned a score of 3 or 4 on the state assessments in math and ELA.

      The comparison figure for black and Hispanic students on the 2007 grade 8 math assessment across the state is 34%.

      I haven’t looked up the comparison figure for grade 8 ELA, but, whatever it is, it’s not going to be zero.

      The one piece of good news here is the fact that these statistics were provided to the community at all. When we tried to obtain disaggregated data on subgroup performance in November, 2006, we were denied access: