expect the pitch to be a little more crowded

  • Scott Martelle
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
      Heyas, John Hammons emailed me to say he's been talking up the Sunday
      game with people at some AYSO coaches' clinics, so there may be some
      new faces coming around...
    • Peter Schuller
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
        Already getting pretty crowded....when I lived in DC and played pick-up
        games there, sometimes there would be 16,17 a side....completely
        ridiculous....hope we don't go there.
        Peter

        >From: "Scott Martelle" <Scott.Martelle@...>
        >To: irvine_soccer@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [irvine_soccer] expect the pitch to be a little more crowded
        >Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:38:01 -0000
        >
        >Heyas, John Hammons emailed me to say he's been talking up the Sunday
        >game with people at some AYSO coaches' clinics, so there may be some
        >new faces coming around...

        See what you�re getting into�before you go there
        http://newlivehotmail.com/?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_migration_HM_viral_preview_0507
      • Martelle, Scott
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
          Yeah, I encouraged John to be not so encouraging, as the game is already on the large size ....

          ________________________________

          Already getting pretty crowded....when I lived in DC and played pick-up
          games there, sometimes there would be 16,17 a side....completely
          ridiculous....hope we don't go there.
          Peter

          >From: "Scott Martelle" <Scott.Martelle@...>
          >To: irvine_soccer@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [irvine_soccer] expect the pitch to be a little more crowded
          >Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:38:01 -0000
          >
          >Heyas, John Hammons emailed me to say he's been talking up the Sunday
          >game with people at some AYSO coaches' clinics, so there may be some
          >new faces coming around...

        • Jeremy McEligot
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
            Since we can always split into mutliple games, I think the more the merrier.

            Also, since we know the numbers are growing, we can plan on it and not spend
            the first 15 minutes shifting fields and such.

            Here's an idea: we setup 2 fields, the first 16 or so players ready to play
            start on field #1, the game on field #2 starts whenever enough people are
            ready. This would also be more accomodating to people who like to get
            started early as well as people who like to start a little later.

            Jeremy

            Yeah, I encouraged John to be not so encouraging, as the game is already on
            the large size ....

            ________________________________

            Already getting pretty crowded....when I lived in DC and played pick-up
            games there, sometimes there would be 16,17 a side....completely
            ridiculous....hope we don't go there.
            Peter

            >From: "Scott Martelle" <Scott.Martelle@...>
            >To: irvine_soccer@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [irvine_soccer] expect the pitch to be a little more crowded
            >Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:38:01 -0000
            >
            >Heyas, John Hammons emailed me to say he's been talking up the Sunday
            >game with people at some AYSO coaches' clinics, so there may be some
            >new faces coming around...

          • Martelle, Scott
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
              sounds like a fine plan to me, though it will be hard to close it off without some confronatations unless everyone realizes -- and agrees -- this is how it's going to be ... Discussion, gentlemen?

              ________________________________

              Yeah, I encouraged John to be not so encouraging, as the game is already on
              the large size ....

              ________________________________

              Already getting pretty crowded....when I lived in DC and played pick-up
              games there, sometimes there would be 16,17 a side....completely
              ridiculous....hope we don't go there.
              Peter

              >From: "Scott Martelle" <Scott.Martelle@... <mailto:Scott.Martelle%40latimes.com> >
              >To: irvine_soccer@yahoogroups.com <mailto:irvine_soccer%40yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: [irvine_soccer] expect the pitch to be a little more crowded
              >Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:38:01 -0000
              >
              >Heyas, John Hammons emailed me to say he's been talking up the Sunday
              >game with people at some AYSO coaches' clinics, so there may be some
              >new faces coming around...

            • Ben Mehling
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
                Jeremy's idea is a solid one, but in practice I suspect it will be hard to implement.  As Scott points out, people will show late and complain bitterly.  Additionally, what happens when not enough players show for a legit 2nd game?  Guys are just locked out?

                If we can agree on a cut off (12v12, 14v14?) when we split it up, then we just do it when we have that many players.  I like the idea of switching the opposing teams half way through "tournament" style as we've managed a few times in the past.

                - Ben

                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
                  A cut off is a good idea. If we all agree that 12 v 12 is the max, and 12 v 13 means two games (6 v 6 and 6 v 7) we might be able to make it work without too much blood and tears, though squeezing two games in that space if the baseballers are out there might be a challenge.... Other thoughts? Let's build a consensus here, guys...

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 12 , Aug 28, 2007
                    Well, I didn't realize the game had grown so much in size.

                    that being said, I've seen it grow and shrink as the years passed. I think that if the time could come that the game go back down to where it is 3v2 on a cold winter day....... a few fresh faces would be good.

                    I also feel the the organization that Ben has done via this email Group is probably the reason the Sunday game is going so well, thank you Ben. Also, Thank you for keeping my name on the list all these years.

                    The solution to this problem is simple. Bring out the Clip board and the first 22 or 24 names on the list are the first on the field. This along with numbers 23 and 24 serving first in Goal. Number 25+ on the list must wait until one of the players on the field drops out and then take his turn in the goal.

                    If you guys remember that massive Wednesday Night game at Tarbut V' Torah, this is the system that they used and it seemed to work out fine.

                    The downfall of that game was that there where too many verbal fights. Verbal fights and constant Chatter. No one was having fun when that occurred. I don't think the Sunday Game is going to fall into that trap by any means, but that can happen with a big group of folks that barely know one another. The Sunday game has a core group that have been playing together for years now.....

                    Those are my last two cents, please spend them wisely,

                    John Hammons

                    Message 9 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
                      Splitting hairs but I think when we get to 12v12 we can split to 6v6. It
                      seems that the best that we can do is be prepared, so that when the split is
                      called that the extra goals and perhaps some cones to seperate the two
                      fields are handy.

                      The other issue, the baseball players... We can probably do something about
                      this. My first thought would be to use the other field that I don't think
                      has a baseball diamond. Though, I don't remember what the grass quality is.
                      We can also officially reserve the field through the city.

                      Jeremy

                      Message 10 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
                        That other field has bad grass -- that thick, matted stuff. We've played there before in a pinch and it's pretty rough going...

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
                          Actually, Jeremy, I was thinking the same way, though it might create space
                          issues if anyone is using the baseball diamond.
                          Peter

                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 29, 2007
                            Since we are on the subject, I think the Sunday game has gotten more
                            fun/friendly recently. I hope that is due to the character of the new people
                            coming in, though I confess that it might be in part due to my keeping my
                            mouth shut now that I have had to gear down with my new hip. :-) Speaking of
                            which, I want to take this opportunity to thank all of you for how you have
                            not only welcomed me back but accommodated my condition. It has meant a lot
                            to me.
                            I will not be around all September (traveling overseas) but look forward to
                            seeing you again in October.
                            Peter

                            >From: <jhammons01@...>
                            >To: irvine_soccer@yahoogroups.com
                            >CC: "Martelle, Scott" <Scott.Martelle@...>
                            >Subject: RE: [irvine_soccer] expect the pitch to be a little more crowded
                            >Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:08:36 -0700
                            >
                            >Well, I didn't realize the game had grown so much in size.
                            >
                            >that being said, I've seen it grow and shrink as the years passed. I think
                            >that if the time could come that the game go back down to where it is 3v2
                            >on a cold winter day....... a few fresh faces would be good.
                            >
                            >I also feel the the organization that Ben has done via this email Group is
                            >probably the reason the Sunday game is going so well, thank you Ben. Also,
                            >Thank you for keeping my name on the list all these years.
                            >
                            >The solution to this problem is simple. Bring out the Clip board and the
                            >first 22 or 24 names on the list are the first on the field. This along
                            >with numbers 23 and 24 serving first in Goal. Number 25+ on the list must
                            >wait until one of the players on the field drops out and then take his turn
                            >in the goal.
                            >
                            >If you guys remember that massive Wednesday Night game at Tarbut V' Torah,
                            >this is the system that they used and it seemed to work out fine.
                            >
                            >The downfall of that game was that there where too many verbal fights.
                            >Verbal fights and constant Chatter. No one was having fun when that
                            >occurred. I don't think the Sunday Game is going to fall into that trap by
                            >any means, but that can happen with a big group of folks that barely know
                            >one another. The Sunday game has a core group that have been playing
                            >together for years now.....
                            >
                            >Those are my last two cents, please spend them wisely,
                            >
                            >John Hammons
                            >---- "Martelle wrote:
                            > > A cut off is a good idea. If we all agree that 12 v 12 is the max, and
                            >12 v 13 means two games (6 v 6 and 6 v 7) we might be able to make it work
                            >without too much blood and tears, though squeezing two games in that space
                            >if the baseballers are out there might be a challenge.... Other thoughts?
                            >Let's build a consensus here, guys...

                            Messenger Caf� � open for fun 24/7. Hot games, cool activities served daily.
                            Visit now. http://cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_AugHMtagline