Re: Wu Xia career and others...

  • kevin_schultz
    Message 1 of 19 , May 1, 2002
      --- In ironclaw@y..., "tedmackinnon" <tmackinn@n...> wrote:
      > Goodness, I don't think anyone was debating on whether Wu Xia is
      > inferior to any career. It's just rather specialized, and the
      lack
      > of certain skills means that it isn't SUPERIOR to other careers,
      as
      > one might think. Disappointment to powergamer types everywhere.

      Yes, in my calculations for "most powerful munchkiny combat
      character", that award currently sits with the Jump-kicking, Prodigy
      brawler Drunken Master Marine Rabbit: a 5d12,2d10,d8 unarmed attack,
      assuming that I'm reading the rules properly...hey, it's not like
      I'm planning on PLAYING this character! He also can't do that much
      damage (d8,d6, I think), so wearing armor will more or less shut him
      down. Still, it's interesting from an academic point of view...
      Hm... elephant drunken master marine...

      Oh, and according to a web site I checked
      (http://newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/zoo00/zoo00333.htm), the average
      airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is anywhere between 40 and
      50 mph. Of course, that's the AMERICAN swallow (is the American
      swallow one of those that came over with the Europeans? I don't
      recall.), so it doesn't quite answer the question.

      However, it is interesting to note (according to
      http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/bird-guide/swallow.htm) that British
      swallows migrate to South Africa. As such, an African swallow most
      likely IS a European swallow, depending on the time of year.

      I guess that adds another layer to the Python joke...
    • catstesha
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1, 2002

        > For some reason, I've found that Spirit Hunter naturally lends
        itself as a
        > secondary-career choice... it works for potential story reasons as
        well.
        > Maybe I just watch too much Sorcerer Hunters, but if you're going
        around
        > fighting evil magic-users, you probably want some sort of 'cover'
        profession.

        Indeed. Can you buy a second career at chargen? Is it a new
        attribute then?

        Thanks,
        Steve
      • Chuan Lin
        Message 3 of 19 , May 1, 2002
          --- catstesha <catstesha@...> wrote:
          > level. Of course, what this misses is something I
          > think is very
          > clever in 'Claw and which I'm only just getting to
          > understand - it is
          > better, in general, to get the same skill from
          > different sources then
          > it is to simply have a high skill. 3d8 (from, say,
          > Career, Race and
          > Skill) is actually better than d12, d6 from Prodigy.

          Ideally, it is better to specialize one skill to
          heoric level (2d12 & d4+) and then start expanding
          horizontally. The system is build in that eventually,
          you will reach the diminish return on skill
          specialization. Then you would start looking other way
          to increase your die pool.

          --- catstesha <catstesha@...> wrote:
          > Actually, my problem in general is I'm having
          > trouble understanding
          > and getting a grip on how one sets up their career,
          > particularly when
          > it comes to joining a secret martial art. Besides
          > Wu Xia, no other
          > career immediately points to a SMA, and they don't
          > seem to require it.

          ah, grasshopper, there are some careers that tied in
          with the SMA. There is the Sword Dancer for the
          World's the Stage Martial Art; there is escort career
          for the black tortoises; being a crane race for the
          white crane of school (though this is more of
          editorial error since supposedly, other races are able
          to learn the white crane of school with iron brush/pen
          as their weapon of choice); bodyguard & spirit hunter
          careers are qualify for Superior Theory of Archery;
          then the beggars the drunken style and beggar gang
          style

          > Indeed, as I read the rules, anyone can join
          > Drunken Fist as long as
          > they have Carousing of D4. Should I require my
          > players to explain
          > this, or to find a teacher first? Can you be in
          > more than one SMA at
          > once? Or could someone just pick and choose from
          > the low level
          > abilities as they wanted?

          Normally, Drunken Fist is one of trade secrets for the
          beggar gang as indicated in the brief background info.
          You have to be a beggar in order to be able to learn
          that and the beggar gang style (which was originally
          named, Beaten Dog). But it is a conscious decision on
          the part of game designer to remove that restriction
          as few players would want to play beggars and both
          Drunken Fist and Beggar Gang style would quickly
          relegate to NPC gongfu of choices.

          As for learning multiple SMA, ideally, it is one SMA
          at a time. To learn too many SMA at once would show
          your character insincereity. SMA are not like college
          and university courses to pick and choose; they are
          more akin to fraternity, your greek brothers of Theta
          Chi would object at seeing you carousing with the Phi
          Beta Signma even if the later has the best booze and
          babes. When SMA initially drawn, I was being strict
          and require player to purchase Gift: SMA <blank> (1
          pt) to represent player's sincerity and dedication.
          Through playtest, it soon become obvious that we
          always not getting enough xp for things we wanted :-)

          The pick and choose or the buffet styles seems to be
          the more vocals than learning through SMA in this
          newsgroup. It is possible that in future issue of Bite
          Mark, we will address the SMA initiation in more
          detail. It all depend what kinds of feedbacks and
          requests we got from the Bite Mark.

          > I think chargen is a bit confusing - much like D&D,
          > you need to know
          > all the feats you can choose from now AND the ones
          > available in the
          > future sort of before you start designing them. Is
          > there some sort of
          > primer on how to THINK about the process in the
          > right way? How to
          > find the right martial art/school/gifts/powers for
          > the concept I want?

          That is one weak spot of point-based vs. level-based
          system; You get all these points, unless you know what
          you want to be, you will be swamped with too many
          possibility.

          It is always best to draw your concept from any wu-xia
          movies you have seemed.

          If you want to be Michelee Yoeh then you would select
          vagrant warrior or escort;

          if you want to be Zhang Zi-yi or Chow-yun Fat, you
          better concentrate on swordsmanship or knight;

          if you want to be the Dark Clout, then there is
          Bandit;

          if you want to be the bungling house-guard, you want
          to take bodyguard;

          if you want to be the constable who chased after Jade
          Fox, selected yeoman or Yan-wei;

          if you want to be Jade Fox, select Burglar.

          Laughing Bondsman

          http://health.yahoo.com
        • catstesha
          Message 4 of 19 , May 1, 2002

            > ah, grasshopper, there are some careers that tied in
            > with the SMA. There is the Sword Dancer for the
            > World's the Stage Martial Art; there is escort career
            > for the black tortoises; being a crane race for the
            > white crane of school (though this is more of
            > editorial error since supposedly, other races are able
            > to learn the white crane of school with iron brush/pen
            > as their weapon of choice); bodyguard & spirit hunter
            > careers are qualify for Superior Theory of Archery;
            > then the beggars the drunken style and beggar gang
            > style

            But these career requirements don't seem to be listed in the
            book...indeed, I had no idea escorts were associated with Black
            Tortoise! All it says is that BT adepts often become bodyguards.

            Also, its a shame that even the names of these things is so buried in
            the back of the book. If they were up with chargen, it might be
            clearer.

            Although, the magic careers are up the front and make no sense - at
            least, presumably, until you read the magic chapter. I've only
            skim-read it and I'm having a hard time getting a solid grip on how
            each magic is different.

            Thanks for your help,
            Steve
          • Arlene Medder
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2002
              Quoting catstesha <catstesha@...>:

              > > For some reason, I've found that Spirit Hunter naturally lends
              > itself as a
              > > secondary-career choice... it works for potential story reasons as
              >
              > well.
              > > Maybe I just watch too much Sorcerer Hunters, but if you're going
              >
              > around
              > > fighting evil magic-users, you probably want some sort of 'cover'
              >
              > profession.
              >
              > Indeed. Can you buy a second career at chargen? Is it a new
              > attribute then?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Steve

              yep, you buy the gift extra trait (3 points) which gives another d4 to
              the starting collection. That extra trait can be a career, a special
              trait like toughness or 2nd sight, or something really special like a
              Passion or a Bagua trait like Charisma, Fear, Stillness, etc.

              That's how I got a swallow storyteller/mage & a dragon minister/academic
              & a tiger seer w/ second sight. Just as examples.
              Arlene Medder
            • tedmackinnon
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                >That extra trait can be a career, a special
                > trait like toughness or 2nd sight, or something really special like
                > Passion or a Bagua trait like Charisma, Fear, Stillness, etc.

                Or you can dump one of the 'regular' traits in your 'extra' trait
                slot, in order to use a higher dice for your extra trait. :)

                Ted
              • catstesha
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                  --- In ironclaw@y..., "tedmackinnon" <tmackinn@n...> wrote:
                  > >That extra trait can be a career, a special
                  > > trait like toughness or 2nd sight, or something really special
                  like
                  > > Passion or a Bagua trait like Charisma, Fear, Stillness, etc.
                  >
                  > Or you can dump one of the 'regular' traits in your 'extra' trait
                  > slot, in order to use a higher dice for your extra trait. :)

                  Got it. Are Passions the IronClaw version of Bagua then?

                  Steve
                • tedmackinnon
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                    > Got it. Are Passions the IronClaw version of Bagua then?

                    I think so - that's what I recall, anyways. I don't happen to have
                    my JC handy, and haven't really made up a JC character (Heresy! :)

                    Don't have any opportunity to play. :(

                    Ted
                  • Diana Wray
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2002
                      > 50 mph. Of course, that's the AMERICAN swallow (is the American
                      > swallow one of those that came over with the Europeans? I don't
                      > recall.), so it doesn't quite answer the question.

                      There are several american swallows and they are in fact native to this
                      contient. Where swallows originated evolutionarily, I don't know. There
                      are some birds, like the house sparrow (actually a form of African Weaver
                      Finch) and the starling that are well-established imports, but I'm pretty
                      sure our swallows (barn, cliff, bank, etc) are natives.

                      LP, who almost has a masters in wildlife science