Re: [ironclaw] Re: Question on Rolling Penalties

  • Alexander Williams
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
      On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 12:36:15AM -0400, Eric Pawtowski wrote:
      > Hmm. I once wrote a handful of programs that calculated Ironclaw-style
      > die rolls, but they were all in LISP.

      Common Lisp, or Scheme? Personally, I'm quite fond of the latter
      since CL has such an enormous spec. Though, currently, were I going
      to do it, I'd do it in Erlang (primarily because I've already done it
      in Python).

      ObIronclaw: I'm certain that there's a definite market for an Ironclaw
      Chargen System ... I just need to see if I can write Erlang that
      compiles to deliverable code. Well, and see if I can stand writing
      windowing code again. ;)

      --
      Alexander Williams (thantos@...) | http://www.chancel.org |
      "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the |
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
        On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 04:27:35AM -0400, Eric Pawtowski wrote:
        > Common LISP, with an Emacs editor, linked to an objected-oriented,
        > graphical-tree-based development enviroment with a Parasolids
        > solid modeling engine on an AIX workstation.

        You're a sick, sick man. :)

        Mind you, I'm writing my response in Emacs, so I must share some of
        that bizarrity.

        ObIronclaw: Hmmmm, now, if someone could write a chargen system in
        elisp ...

        --
        Alexander Williams (thantos@...) | http://www.chancel.org |
        "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the |
        same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is|
        their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide|
        new Guards for their future security." |
      • Daethan of Locksly
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 1, 2001
          I have a mostly completed character gen that I made in very little time with
          VB for a class project, but the interface is rather nice I think. I'll
          upload it somewhere, if anyone wants it.
          Oh, and I'd like 'official' comfirmation that I'm allowed to distribute it..
          it's got images from the ironclaw website in it, as well as, obviously book
          information. ^.^
          > On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 04:27:35AM -0400, Eric Pawtowski wrote:
          > > Common LISP, with an Emacs editor, linked to an objected-oriented,
          > > graphical-tree-based development enviroment with a Parasolids
          > > solid modeling engine on an AIX workstation.
          >
          > You're a sick, sick man. :)
          >
          > Mind you, I'm writing my response in Emacs, so I must share some of
          > that bizarrity.
          >
          > ObIronclaw: Hmmmm, now, if someone could write a chargen system in
          > elisp ...
          >
          > --
          > Alexander Williams (thantos@...) | http://www.chancel.org

          > "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the
          |
          > same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it
          is|
          > their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to
          provide|
          > new Guards for their future security."
          |

          > --

        • Gamer Geek
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 2, 2001
            I have played games where there are no ties for weeks at a time. Your
            rolling dice, its RANDOMNESS! There are so many factors affecting the dice,
            how they are rolled, the surface they are being rolled on ect. ect.

            Yes in theory, a dice system could be unbalance, thus allowing POWER GAMERS
            to manipulate and cheat a system. But usually such players ruin a game after
            a while anyway. I can't begin to tell you how many games I have seen fall
            apart due to power gaming.

            My 2 cents.

            Matt