Re: [ironclaw] Re: Martial Arts (was continents...)

  • Frederick Tarbox
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
      On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Richard Stewart wrote:

      > I am just a tad bit curious. This is a test of sorts. What does a
      > traditional Chinese Broad Sword look like?
      >
      > Answer on Monday *grin*

      Y'know, trivia was a lot more fun before the internet. Now any schmoe can
      find out almost anything. No challenge at all.

      http://www.ameurasiart.com/ChineseSwords.htm

      Besides, I can't *stand* being kept in suspense. Sorry.

      Fred
    • Richard Stewart
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
        >Just...no fireballs.

        Hey, Chinese myth had fireballs. There are A LOT of martial arts styles.
        Actually, only some of them are Chinese, or even asian. Most use
        weapons...even Kung (Gong) Fu or at least its modern eqivalent does.

        I am just a tad bit curious. This is a test of sorts. What does a
        traditional Chinese Broad Sword look like?

        Answer on Monday *grin*

        Stew
      • Richard Stewart
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
          Fred

          Hehehehe.  Too true about the internet.  But it also proves something else.  It isn't always right.  That is a modern Chinese broadsword.  I said traditional *grin*

          Richard Stewart
          Sanguine Productions Ltd.

          stewart@...
          http://www.sanguineproductions.com

          On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Richard Stewart wrote:

          > I am just a tad bit curious.  This is a test of sorts.  What does a
          > traditional Chinese Broad Sword look like?
          >
          > Answer on Monday *grin*

          Y'know, trivia was a lot more fun before the internet.  Now any schmoe can
          find out almost anything.  No challenge at all.

          http://www.ameurasiart.com/ChineseSwords.htm

          Besides, I can't *stand* being kept in suspense. Sorry.

          Fred

        • Ted MacKinnon
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
            > Hey, Chinese myth had fireballs. There are A LOT of martial arts
            styles.
            > Actually, only some of them are Chinese, or even asian. Most use
            > weapons...even Kung (Gong) Fu or at least its modern eqivalent does.

            I don't mind long distance chi attacks. Just not "Fireballs"
            or "Sonic Booms" :)

            And I am aware of the vast quantity of other arts out there. I think
            I mentioned one or two....But if I concentrate on chinese stuff, it's
            because I'm taking Gong Fu, and I like it more :)

            Just about every society has come up with some form of marital art....
            Carribean, USA, Europe, Chinese, Malaysian, Indian, Arabic, Japanese,
            Mongolian, Russian, etc etc etc...
            There are literally hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of styles (considering
            that Gong Fu has over 300, and silat clocks in pretty high as well).

            > I am just a tad bit curious. This is a test of sorts. What does a
            > traditional Chinese Broad Sword look like?

            Which one - the nine ring, the two hander (general kwon's) or what?
            The usual one is the one my club simply refers to as a sabre - single
            edged, more weight near the tip, curved blade.

            Why the test?
            [Bad voice dubbing] Do you doubt my Gong Fu?

            Ted
          • Ted MacKinnon
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 1, 2001
              > http://www.ameurasiart.com/ChineseSwords.htm

              Sifu's got one of the big one's hanging on the wall. Makes doing the
              sabre form a little more exciting - I was a little off one day and
              after one rep, was almost a little more off...as in one ear :)

              That's a hell of a wake up call...

              Ted
            • lekon@planetnamek.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 2, 2001
                --- In ironclaw@y..., "Richard Stewart" <pr@i...> wrote:
                > Fred
                >
                > Hehehehe. Too true about the internet. But it also proves
                something else.
                > It isn't always right. That is a modern Chinese broadsword. I said
                > traditional *grin*

                Well Richard, The other problem, is WHICH broadsword do you mean? A
                footmans sword? (Grunt infantry?) A shock troopers sword? (The shock
                troops were a type of guard for the General that made flashy
                movements inorder to scare the enemy soldiers) One of the many old
                style Gong Fu swords?

                Theres Tiger-tail Broadswords, Nine Ring Swords, Flat ones, (Like in
                the internet picture) some that curved slightly forward with a
                heavier head, ones that were almost dull, but very heavy, like an
                axe, to name just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.
                I own a tiger-tail sword myself, and just for everyone to know, the
                first question everyone asks (aside from whats a tiger-tail, it means
                its a sword with that flag from the hilt) Is "Why the flag?" Just for
                those who are curious, if you wrap the flag around your hand, you get
                a sweat guard so it wont slip, a better grip, and best of all, you
                can get it back in hand if its knocked out. Ive seen folks who can
                whip the sword out on the flag, and bring it back.

                (This message was written right before I saw Ted's message)

                I myself am an old weapons buff, have a whole little collection on my
                wall, and a few good books. I think it was Ted that mentioed the 300
                something styles, all with thier own unique weapons, Id just like to
                fire off a few for folks who think "Quaterstone sword" is too common.

                Falx: Foward Curving Longsword, great for getting over those annoying
                shields.
                Chakram: Shap little bugger of a ring. Made famous by Xena, though
                the usual versions were thrown by spining it on the inside of the
                ring and letting it go with a toss. (Sorta like a sling in reverse?)
                5 or 7 section chains were popular to find in some of the Gong Fu's,
                (on another note, these are not chain Whips, but big links of metal,
                then a ring, then another bar, etc, if you get one of these, DO NOT
                TRY TO SNAP IT LIKE A WHIP! And if you get any weapon, pleassse be
                responsible!)
                Urumi: A sping sword so to speak. Hilt, with a nice set of 7-9
                springy blades, user uses it to create a defensive screen. Another
                word would be "Razorwire whip"
                Katar: AKA Punch dagger. Hilt with coverings on both sides for the
                arms, some even had a spring loading to open scisors (sic?) after it
                was stabbed into someone. Better in theory I belive.
                A good weapon in india was a pair of Deer antlers attached by metal
                bars/rings to have a hand grip between them. (Basicly a double sided
                dagger where you grabbed it at the middle) This would be great in
                Calabaria, Imagine the Elk Martial Artsits. "Oops, my antler fell
                off.. oh, I did need a knife anyways.
                Pipe: Some monks had Iron shod Pipes for smokeing, or in a pinch,
                beating people up. (In a zen state, of course!)
                Sawhorse: Many Benches were sort of sawhorse style. There are a few
                styles of Gong Fu that train Bench Forms. I might add that they are
                neat to watch.

                I often wonder how many weapons came about from some fellow grabbing
                something in a barfight and after he won saying "Hey... I could
                change this and this about this item and make it a good weapon"

                On a sillier note for things In Calabaria, What about Furry martial
                artists, useing natural items? The idea of a tiger useing tiger claws
                could be interesting, perhaps a glove that puts an extra set of claws
                right above your natural claws and a little off center to make double
                the slashes?

                Whew... that was a long one unitentionally.

                Lekon, the cheery Necromancer.

                "Hey, perk up, Freds not frowning!"
                "Lekon, Fred is a corpse, and your talking to his ghost, we cant see
                him, we dont CARE if hes happy or not."
                *mumbles as Freds corpse gets up*
                "Im sorry, Fred says he has to chase you now, you meanie."