Question on Magic Pts.

  • Swift Fox
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
      Howdy Folks and Happy New Year!

      Well, New Years Eve is typically a marathon gaming night with my
      group. Over the last few months a few of my players had been flipping
      through the Ironclaw books and we've been looking for a good time to
      play.

      Well we played the first adventure in the back of the RPG for the
      first 4 hours and a couple questions came up. The first was, can a
      reeling NPC who's been tripped still 'dodge' against attacks. I made
      a spot decision to give the NPC a -1 to his dodge rolls. I later
      found the ruling in the 'Advanced Combat' section which called for a -
      2 in the aforementioned case.

      The second question however, I still have no answer for. One of the
      players is playing a G&P Mage. Well during the course of the
      adventure he had wittled his Magic Points down to 6 before the combat
      section started. He tried to cast Blind I once and failed his roll
      against the difficulty dropping his character down to 3MP's. So the
      suffer some effects from taking his MP's down to zero, we spent a few
      minutes looking for something that might address this problem. (I
      was sure I had read it somewhere that when the PC's MP's get to zero,
      the PC goes unconscious. But with all the RPG's I am familiar with,
      it could have been with another game.)

      Well, we found nothing and I let him make a Willpower roll against
      2d8 to remain concious after casting the spell again. Needless to
      say my dice took that opportunity to roll abysmally. :)

      So I guess my questions are:

      Has this problem been addressed or discussed before and where?

      What is the ruling or effect in these cases?

      Ironclaw is a great system and the whole group had a ball! We'll be
      playing it more regularly now, which is good because I'd like to get
      good enough to GM a session or two at Anthrocon this year. :)

      Thanks ahead of time for the imput and support!

      Catch ya on the snowy side!

      Swift Fox
    • willi064
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
        >The second question however, I still have no answer for. One of the
        >players is playing a G&P Mage. Well during the course of the
        >adventure he had wittled his Magic Points down to 6 before the combat
        >section started. He tried to cast Blind I once and failed his roll
        >against the difficulty dropping his character down to 3MP's. So the
        >suffer some effects from taking his MP's down to zero, we spent a few
        >minutes looking for something that might address this problem. (I
        >was sure I had read it somewhere that when the PC's MP's get to zero,
        >the PC goes unconscious. But with all the RPG's I am familiar with,
        >it could have been with another game.)
        >
        >Well, we found nothing and I let him make a Willpower roll against
        >2d8 to remain concious after casting the spell again. Needless to
        >say my dice took that opportunity to roll abysmally. :)
        >
        >So I guess my questions are:
        >
        >Has this problem been addressed or discussed before and where?

        I don't remember seeing anything about this before. I don't recall a rule
        that forces a mage unconscious at zero MP, though I've considered a method
        similar to what you used to allow a mage to "overdraw" and cast PAST zero MP
        (with a risk of going unconcsious and losing part of their Mage Trait), since
        this is a key element of magic in my fictional world. The idea is that it
        converts Fatigue into MP (probably about a 3:1 ratio), forcing conciousness
        checks.

        Hope this helps!

        Firemane
      • Mark Shapiro
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
          AFAIK there is no penalty for reaching 0MP, except that you cannot cast any
          spells until you regain some MP. I seem to recall something that can reduce
          the cost of a spell by 1mp, which would mean certain spells cost 0mp to cast?
          If so, and you had 0MP, you would still be unable to cast these. ;-]

          Now, the idea of overdrawing is a pretty good one - and you could even
          potentially kill yourself if you overdrew so much that fatigue became
          damage, and you had to make a death roll. This would only be for truely
          monumental overdraws, though. ;-]

          I would propse this for an overdraw system:
          1) Roll to see if you can cast the spell, at a penalty of 1. If you are
          adept at the spell, roll anyway, but with no penalty. On a botch, take
          fatigue as per Step 2, and the spell fails. On an overwhelming failure, take
          one fatigue per point of cost of the spell, and the spell fails. On a simple
          failure, take 1 point of fatigue, and the spell fails. Otherwise, go to step 2.
          2) Take fatigue at a rate of 2 or 3 fatigue per point of cost for the spell.
          So a 5MP spell would be 10 or 15 fatigue. I think 2:1 would be a better ratio,
          probably. The spell is successfully cast.
          3) Make any necessary checks for unconsciousness or death.

          I think this is a reasonable way for a spellcaster to overdraw, without making
          it too complex dice-wise, or too easy risk-wise. There IS a chance of death,
          particularly if the character is already wounded, or tries to overdraw for
          a monumental spell (are there any with a cost >5? If not, maybe there should
          be some past Master level, that can do truely insane things, but at a very
          very high cost?)
        • Swift Fox
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2001
            Thanks FM and Galen for the imput.

            That system of drawing on negative MP's is very appealing. I might
            break it out if the opportunity presents itself. But for right now,
            I think I'll let the crew of mine gain a little more experience with
            the game before I throw things like that at them.

            Plus, that seems like it might be a learn on the job type thing that
            should pop up during game combat if the party is that desperate to
            get a spell off. :)

            Thanks again!

            Catch ya on the snowy side!

            Swift Fox