Re: [ironclaw] Re: Experience

  • ajmedder@email.unc.edu
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2000

      > Not more skills, per se... Just a notion I had to forstall
      > Experience spending from resembling the Arms Race between the East
      > and West back during the Cold War... But, like I said, it's a moot
      > point now that the munchkin has screwed himself...

      Do tell, I love a good 'he did to himself' stories.
      Arlene M
      (if no one else is interested, then just send it to my email.)
    • Alan Clark
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2004
        >Another system that has a more developed version of this is Ars
        >Magica: It's like GURPS in that respect, only ALL of your XP (except
        >for the 'bonus for good roleplaying' points) come in 3 month chunks
        >for studying, researching, practice, or just plaing working.
        >
        >The main thing I like about this system is that it forces characters
        >to spread their lives out - most PC's tend to do a lot in a little
        >time. This system has it meaningful for characters to have jobs, go
        >to school, and so on, in their off-time.

        Really? Wow, I've been wondering for a while how to have character advancment go along with getting older, instead of PCs going from 1st to 15th level within a year of in game time.

        I'll have to look into Ars Magica.

        Striker

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Marc
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 8, 2004
          It came to pass that at 15:42 08/02/2004 Alan Clark had the following to say.
          >Really? Wow, I've been wondering for a while how to have character
          >advancment go along with getting older, instead of PCs going from 1st to
          >15th level within a year of in game time

          CORPS from BTRC did that too. You could translate a certain amount
          of game time into points for buying skills.

          --
          Marc
          http://www.marcmywords.com http://ka_haku.livejournal.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 8, 2004
            --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, Alan Clark <strikerultimate@y...>
            wrote:
            > Really? Wow, I've been wondering for a while how to have character
            advancment go along with getting older, instead of PCs going from 1st
            to 15th level within a year of in game time.

            You can download a free PDF copy of their core rulebook from RPGNow,
            at the following link:

            http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=774

            Note that this is done with Atlas Games' knowledge and consent - it's
            something of a marketing ploy to expand their market share.

            The system they have set up is optimized for scholarly research, and
            it's somewhat simplified - for example, you can only study ONE thing
            every season. Still, it's a pretty good basis for house-ruling your
            own system into place. For example, I can see doing it in such a way
            for IC/JC whereby the breakdown of 4/3/2/1 points represents the four
            things you do in a season: primary, secondary, tertiary, and
            miscelany. You'd then gain bonuses or penalties to those rolls, as
            well as restrictions on what you can actually put points into, on the
            basis of what resources you have available to you.