Learning to Ironclaw!

  • knightmare_raptor
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
      Okay, so I got Ironclaw not to long ago...like... MFF. So, I've been enjoying it greatly...expect for actually playing it. I have yet to find anyone to play it with, and was hoping this group would help me finding someone to show me the ropes, and get involved in a game.

      So, yes, I am on the look out for a group/DM willing to take on a newbie player.

      ASIDE from that, I have been making a list of questions that maybe you guys can answer...

      Right...

      1. One the character sheets, under gifts..when do I put an X through the box? I mean, I read what was in the book, but on the sample sheets, there was an X through most of the abilities...So i was slightly confused..

      2. Is there somewhere on the Character sheet where inventory goes? Or do we write that somewhere seperately?

      3. I know how bags work in real life...but what about in game? Are there capacities that certain containers can hold? Where do I find it? if there is not...then...how do I go about using them?... Which is kind of a dumb question to ask... ("HOW I USE BAG?!")

      4. Dual-wielding: Is there any reason to do it without Tandem strike? Can you attack once per weapon? Is there any way to take advantage of it? Or should I just throw Dual-wielding out the window? :/

      5. What is the difference between green and purple magic? The lore and fluff is lacking heavily for the magic, I feel.

      6a) What benefits does career give besides the three skill dice, and the three extra gifts? And species?

      b) Are there any class-specific gifts?

      7. ...Why do badgers get dice for swimming? I don't remember them being particularly aquatic...

      Also, I am still hoping for someone to teach me how the combat/damage system works. I am still perplexed by it..

      I hope I can get some answers to this.

      And I really hope I get to play some time soon!

      <3 love ya!

      -Mad Ferret
    • Ian Borchardt
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
        > 4. Dual-wielding: Is there any reason to do it without Tandem strike? Can you attack once per weapon? Is there any way to take advantage of it? Or should I just throw Dual-wielding out the window? :/

        Until you take one of the following gifts you have the choice of using
        either weapon, not both. The advantage of readying both weapons in
        this situation is that if you are disarmed, you still have a ready
        weapon in your other hand. You may still only make a single attack,
        counter-attack or parry, but you may use either weapon to do so (of
        course you will suffer the d12 off-hand penalty for any attack you
        launch with your left-hand weapon [even if left-handed you'd normally
        be taught to fight right-handed because it's more useful militarily if
        everyone is fighting with the same handiness]).

        The Gifts of Ambidexterity, Akimbo Fighter, Tandem Replay, and Tandem
        Strike all give powerful options if you are wielding two ready
        weapons. Take a look at the specific benefits they provide:

        Ambidexterity - Add a d12 when parrying. Shields only provide a Cover
        Die (of about d8 usually) when parrying. This is a magnificent
        advantage! It may not be as sexy as a Good Counter-Attack but it's
        quite invaluable as the first rule of combat (for non-samurai anyway),
        is not to get hit.

        Akimbo Fighter is where the advantage of wielding two weapons comes in
        very handy. Favour is surprisingly powerful, even more now that the
        die levels have been trimmed from v1. It can be a life saver in that
        it is both harder to botch and you get to reroll an otherwise useless
        dice. There were reasons why one of the benefits of the higher
        expertise Martial Arts Gifts in Jadeclaw were You still have another
        weapon if one is out of action because you are reeling (consider this
        forced unreadiness if you will). And you break ties on Parries.

        Tandem Replay - Take a look at all the Saving Gifts. These are
        useful, which is why most of them have a Major Character only
        requirement. Here's a Replay gift that doesn't. As above, don't
        discount any ability that can get you out of your making a bad roll or
        your opponent making a good one.

        Tandem Strike is in fact the only way to make two attacks at once, but
        then this is not as easy as it sounds. Normally you'd only attack
        with one whilst you'd defend with the other weapon, which is what the
        rules mainly cover. Whichever weapon you'd attack with would be the
        one most suited to the situation. Which is usually matter of reach
        and the variables in the tactical system simulated by rolling dice.
        Although I'd suggest anyone wanting to seriously press their opponent
        could get a d8 advantage when using their shorter weapon whilst their
        opponent gets a d8 penalty for the long weapon.

        I agree with the fact that you need special Gifts to make two weapons
        work properly because it takes practice to stop thinking that you are
        using two weapons - because you are not. You are instead using one
        weapon that consists of two blades. The beginner will divide their
        focus between the two weapons and face indecision. The expert fighter
        will use either weapon to best advantage. You do this with shields
        too, but shields are a lot easier to master the use of.

        [And that is also where I disagree with the canon rules, in that
        Ambidexterity shouldn't be a Keystone Gift for these gifts. Because
        you don't ever train to use two weapons - you train to use a single
        weapon style that uses both weapons. You can be still be quite
        wee-handed and use two weapons well. Just as you shouldn't be
        required to take the off-hand penalty when Juggling, for example,
        despite the fact you are still using the off-hand to juggle. I
        _would_ maintain the off-hand penalty for whenever a second attack is
        specified (whatever that would be) for those who lacked Ambidexterity,
        but I wouldn't distinguish the particular nature of that special
        attack. "One weapon with two blades." in other words. (Although I
        might be convinced to reduce it to d8, since a d12 is a huge
        penalty).]

        > 5. What is the difference between green and purple magic? The lore and fluff is lacking heavily for the magic, I feel.

        Canonically I believe the differences between Purple and Green Magic
        are buried in esoterica between the schools, and really only of
        interest to the followers of either school, and causes confusion to
        everyone else, which is why they are commonly referred to collectively
        as the College of Purple & Green Magics. However what is known is the
        predilection of followers of the Green School to become Sorcerors who
        "seek to tap the minds of others and learn their secrets," whilst
        those of the Purple school become fearsome Spellbinders who "control
        weaker minds."

        [If forced to speculate I'd say the difference has much to do with
        intent and it's role in magical thought. Kind of like the difference
        between the Jedi Sorcerors and the Sith Spellbinders, if one were to
        use Terry Brooks definitions of the orders from the novelization of
        _The_ _Phantom_ _Menace_. At least that's the way I play 'em.]

        > 6a) What benefits does career give besides the three skill dice, and the three extra gifts? And species?

        Career is like any Trait. It always applies to the listed skills, but
        it can also apply to any other tests you can apply it to. Want to
        haggle for a good pair of boots? Add your Soldier career to your
        Influence test to represent knowing who to see, and what it is that
        makes a quality boot. Want to be hired as a soldier? Well your
        Career trait shows you how much of a veteran you are. It doesn't
        matter how skilled you are with the skillls associated with that
        Career, if your Career Trait is a d4 you'll still be considered the
        lowest rank of recruit to that career.

        One thing that I don't think made it into v2 were the economics rules
        from Usagi Yojimbo, which used Career to purchase stuff. For example
        to purchase something Cheap used 1 success at a Target Difficulty of
        2. Average needs 2 successes at TN of 4. Expensive needed 3
        successes at TN of 6. Extravagent required 4 or more successes at a
        TN of 8 or more. The reason it probably didn't was because it added
        abstract Treasure in the form of more additional die rolls. The Gift
        of Wealth for example, added a d12.

        But the thing I like about it is that it gives a good indication of
        the character's lifestyle when working at their chosen career in
        down-time. Someone with a Career Trait of only d4 would generally
        live a poor lifestyle (able only to afford cheap stuff). Your looking
        at a struggling apprentice or recruit here. With a trait of d6 it
        would be an average lifestyle (for that career) without a lot of spare
        cash to throw around. A journeyman or experienced soldier perhaps.
        With a Career Trait of d8 you'd firmly be entrenched in the average
        lifestyle for that career, with the good offsetting the bad. With a
        Career Trait of d10 you'd probably be living quite well for that
        Career, and with a Career Trait of d12 you'd be quite prosperous and
        definitely well-renowned. It also makes a good way of handling
        down-time employment.

        Remember that your NPC encounters are defined by their Career Die, so
        your player characters should be too. In status sensitive societies
        skills are not neccesarily important. being recognized for who you
        are is more important. And that's Career.

        But then this would only be applicable if your adventurers weren't
        wandering n'er'do'wells who didn't stay in one place long enough to
        get involved with the community they are a part of...

        > Also, I am still hoping for someone to teach me how the combat/damage system works. I am still perplexed by it..

        A successful attack will normally score 1 point of damage for every
        die that is greater than the highest die of the defender. You add the
        Damage modifier to this total to account for the "pointyness" of the
        weapon. This is the maximum amount of damage the attack might cause.

        Now the injured party has to roll their Resolve and Armour dice. Each
        die that rolls 4 or more subtracts 1 from the damage actually caused.
        (This is called the soak.)

        If the damage is still positive the target takes the indicated level of injury.

        There are important modifiers to the system on pg 128. The most
        important of which is that if the target is Hurt or Injured, all
        further damage they suffer is increased by +1 (one condition) or +2
        (both conditions). This represents the effects of cumulative damage.

        There is no death-spiral, which is an important difference from most
        role-playing games you might be used to. That is, only the
        appropriate Conditions apply, and they are not cumulative. Already
        Hurt and suffer 1 point of damage from an attack? No additional
        effect. You're still Hurt and still suffer a penalty of +1 Damage to
        future damage you take. (You were lucky this time.) Suffer 2 points,
        gain the Afraid condition to go with the Hurt. (Shouldn't discretion
        be the better part of valour by now).

        Hope this helps some.

        Ian
        --
        Ian Borchardt    (iborchar@...)
        Philosoph, Fool, and Magician
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2012
          Welcome aboard!  I can't answer all of them but here are a few answers.

          1) You put an X on the gift if you have eXhausted it.  Not all gifts have an eXhaustable ability but for those that do, that's what you use the X box for.  Exhausting a gift is like tapping a card in Magic the Gathering, and they Refresh under certain circumstances depending on the gift.

          2) I usually write inventory on the back.

          6a) Your species not only gives you gifts and skills (which is a pretty sweet package as it is), but also natural weapons that you never lose (claws, teeth, horns, etc).  In addition, use your Species trait when trying to survive in your natural Habitat, or when using your species' Sense to Observe things.  (E.g. if you are a fox, you can roll Species with Observation when trying to smell or hear something.)  As you raise your Species trait, your Species skills get better in a bundle.

          Your career gift gives you the package of skills and gifts (which, again, is a pretty sweet package), and the ability to improve those skills in a bundle, as above.  In addition, most Hosts will let you include your Career Trait Die with rolls appropriate to your Career, even if a specific skill isn't involved.  This is where your creativity comes in.  An example from the 1st edition was that of a Soldier using his Career Die with a roll on haggling for a pair of boots.  Haggling wasn't part of the Soldier's set of skills, but boots are very important to soldiers, so the Host ruled he could tell good boots when he saw them.

          6b) If by class, you mean nobility, then yes, there are gifts related to having noble blood.  If you mean Career, then no, as far as I am aware all the gifts you can get by getting a Career, you can also just buy individually.  Part of the reason for that is that in order to get a second (or third etc) Career, you have to buy its gifts first.

          7) Every Species needed three skills, so that they were balanced with all the others.  When a third skill wasn't obvious the designers sometimes just threw in one that seemed to work.  Many members of the weasel family swim very well so that's probably why Swimming was chosen for Badgers.  If you don't like it, you can change it; Endurance would be my choice but you could also go with Searching.

          -Lionpaw

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2012
            I would like to thank you Ian and Diana for answering! That has definitely cleared up a few things...Though there is still the question of how much do the bags hold?! I was given a pouch as staring gear and I don't know what to do with it!

            Also, another question: I was looking at the "extra" careers that weren't suggested for PCs, and I saw Pickpocket would suit my Polecat better than burgler. Should I just stick to burgler? Why should I avoid those classes?

            Also, I am still looking for a group for this, including a GM....someone to help me get into the flow of things. So far all my other sources has come up with no one! This yahoo group is my last choice!

            Thanks again!

            -Mad Ferret

            --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "knightmare_raptor" <david_denino@...> wrote:

            > Okay, so I got Ironclaw not to long ago...like... MFF. So, I've been enjoying it greatly...expect for actually playing it. I have yet to find anyone to play it with, and was hoping this group would help me finding someone to show me the ropes, and get involved in a game.
            >
            > So, yes, I am on the look out for a group/DM willing to take on a newbie player.
            >
            > ASIDE from that, I have been making a list of questions that maybe you guys can answer...
            >
            > Right...
            >
            > 1. One the character sheets, under gifts..when do I put an X through the box? I mean, I read what was in the book, but on the sample sheets, there was an X through most of the abilities...So i was slightly confused..
            >
            > 2. Is there somewhere on the Character sheet where inventory goes? Or do we write that somewhere seperately?
            >
            > 3. I know how bags work in real life...but what about in game? Are there capacities that certain containers can hold? Where do I find it? if there is not...then...how do I go about using them?... Which is kind of a dumb question to ask... ("HOW I USE BAG?!")
            >
            > 4. Dual-wielding: Is there any reason to do it without Tandem strike? Can you attack once per weapon? Is there any way to take advantage of it? Or should I just throw Dual-wielding out the window? :/
            >
            > 5. What is the difference between green and purple magic? The lore and fluff is lacking heavily for the magic, I feel.
            >
            > 6a) What benefits does career give besides the three skill dice, and the three extra gifts? And species?
            >
            > b) Are there any class-specific gifts?
            >
            > 7. ...Why do badgers get dice for swimming? I don't remember them being particularly aquatic...
            >
            > Also, I am still hoping for someone to teach me how the combat/damage system works. I am still perplexed by it..
            >
            > I hope I can get some answers to this.
            >
            > And I really hope I get to play some time soon!
            >
            > <3 love ya!
            >
            > -Mad Ferret

          • Diana Wray
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2012
              The 'extra' careers in the back are ones that players typically don't take, because they have what are considered less-than-desireable skills or gifts.  There is absolutely no reason you couldn't take those careers, with your GM's permission.  :)

              Regarding the bags, I think the capacity of containers may have been left out, so use common sense or ask your GM.  Most pouches of the day were leather or cloth and made to hold coins and other sundries - the kinds of things we would stick in our pockets nowadays.  They usually didn't hold more than about a pound or two.

              -LP

              On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 12:52 PM, knightmare_raptor <david_denino@...> wrote:

              I would like to thank you Ian and Diana for answering! That has definitely cleared up a few things...Though there is still the question of how much do the bags hold?! I was given a pouch as staring gear and I don't know what to do with it!

              Also, another question: I was looking at the "extra" careers that weren't suggested for PCs, and I saw Pickpocket would suit my Polecat better than burgler. Should I just stick to burgler? Why should I avoid those classes?

              Also, I am still looking for a group for this, including a GM....someone to help me get into the flow of things. So far all my other sources has come up with no one! This yahoo group is my last choice!

              Thanks again!

              -Mad Ferret

              --- In ironclaw@yahoogroups.com, "knightmare_raptor" <david_denino@...> wrote:

              > Okay, so I got Ironclaw not to long ago...like... MFF. So, I've been enjoying it greatly...expect for actually playing it. I have yet to find anyone to play it with, and was hoping this group would help me finding someone to show me the ropes, and get involved in a game.
              >
              > So, yes, I am on the look out for a group/DM willing to take on a newbie player.
              >
              > ASIDE from that, I have been making a list of questions that maybe you guys can answer...
              >
              > Right...
              >
              > 1. One the character sheets, under gifts..when do I put an X through the box? I mean, I read what was in the book, but on the sample sheets, there was an X through most of the abilities...So i was slightly confused..
              >
              > 2. Is there somewhere on the Character sheet where inventory goes? Or do we write that somewhere seperately?
              >
              > 3. I know how bags work in real life...but what about in game? Are there capacities that certain containers can hold? Where do I find it? if there is not...then...how do I go about using them?... Which is kind of a dumb question to ask... ("HOW I USE BAG?!")
              >
              > 4. Dual-wielding: Is there any reason to do it without Tandem strike? Can you attack once per weapon? Is there any way to take advantage of it? Or should I just throw Dual-wielding out the window? :/
              >
              > 5. What is the difference between green and purple magic? The lore and fluff is lacking heavily for the magic, I feel.
              >
              > 6a) What benefits does career give besides the three skill dice, and the three extra gifts? And species?
              >
              > b) Are there any class-specific gifts?
              >
              > 7. ...Why do badgers get dice for swimming? I don't remember them being particularly aquatic...
              >
              > Also, I am still hoping for someone to teach me how the combat/damage system works. I am still perplexed by it..
              >
              > I hope I can get some answers to this.
              >
              > And I really hope I get to play some time soon!
              >
              > <3 love ya!
              >
              > -Mad Ferret

            • Ian Borchardt
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 11, 2012
                wrt: Two Weapons

                And I totally forgot to mention that it is important to remember that
                "Off Hand" weapons can be used with no penalty in either hand. Which
                definitely means that the Gift of Ambidexterity shouldn't be a
                Keystone gift in my book.

                Ian